Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with HU in my neighbors crowline...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with HU in my neighbors crowline...

My neighbor has a fairly new crowline boat, not sure of the year but probably no more than 5 years old. He had the seats reupholstered over winter and instead of doing things the right way, he just snipped all the speaker wires to the back seat, and didn't label them or anything. He came over to me the over to me last night and asked if i could run the system over, and hook the speakers back up. He also said the head unit quit working (sony CDX-F50M marine HU), and that there was an amp mounted thats not hooked up, and he has a bazooka tube for it, if i could get it to work. Well, i hooked the amp up, and the bazooka tube works great (both bazooka marine stuff). The problem is that if i crank the HU up beyond about 25, it shuts of, and starts back up again. I figured its the HU ground, so i ran the ground clear back to the battery, which is the only feasible option in a fiberglass boat. The positive is hooked up to a factory crowline acc switch on the panel, and he said it worked last fall. I got it working by hooking up a stray yellow wire to a 12v. I had the system working fairly loud, and he paid me a little something and said thanks. He just knocked on my door and said it was doing it again at around 25. I really am stumped, because he said he could crank it before he put the boat away this winter, and it cuts out now. The 4 speakers are some 6.5 sony marine jobbies, they aren't that big. I keep looking up and seeing the same kind of issues are either bad power or ground, the speakers are too big for the HU, or a bad amp inside the HU. The power and ground seem good, the ground is on the batt, and the power is hooked up to the stock radio switch, plus the speakers aren't very big. Any imput for me? Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is somthing wired in parallel loading up the headunit with too low of an ohm load causing it to go into protect at high volume
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
is somthing wired in parallel loading up the headunit with too low of an ohm load causing it to go into protect at high volume
No all the speakers are wired off of each set of head unit wires. Nothing is in parallel, and the sub is run off a mono amp. Now I can only get it to run on the radio, a cd will cause it to shut off and reboot in 5 seconds, over and over before it even plays. Is the hu is going bad? The volume is suppose to reach 34 and is only hitting about 20 then shutting off and rebooting.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No all the speakers are wired off of each set of head unit wires. Nothing is in parallel, and the sub is run off a mono amp. Now I can only get it to run on the radio, a cd will cause it to shut off and reboot in 5 seconds, over and over before it even plays. Is the hu is going bad? The volume is suppose to reach 34 and is only hitting about 20 then shutting off and rebooting.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

is the bass like maxed out and loudness all the way up etc, is it possiable the battery in the boat is low. i know some headunits will shut off and power back up with low voltage issues
Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the bass like maxed out and loudness all the way up etc, is it possiable the battery in the boat is low. i know some headunits will shut off and power back up with low voltage issues
I have the bass and all that jazz down on the headunit itself, and just get the bass out of the bazooka and amp. It shuts off at all settings anyway. It works great when its below 20 though. Like i said now it won't play a CD, it'll shut off when you put one in, and start to read it, and shut off again, and again. I'm really thinking the internal amp is crapped out in the HU. I even started up the boat for a bit, just to make sure it had juice yet. And just tried running the headunit power straight to the battery to make sure the switch wasn't it, and it still did the same thing again direct to the batt. I'm so stumped over this! I'm almost positive its in the internal amp.

I had similar problems to this with the JVC in my dodge durango, except it would only shut on and off at high volumes when it had been running for a while. It is close to 4 years old now. I threw a 4 channel amp on it, and ran the speakers off of that, and it works like a champ. I think i'm going to yank it out of my durango tomorrow, and hook it up in the boat to all the speakers, and if that works i'll have my neighbor buy a 4 channel, it'll be cheaper than a new HU, and be louder anyway.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya hooking my 4 channel amp up didn't fix the problem. I told him to order a new HU.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

These sony marine head units are junk. I've had 3 in my boat so far and all have failed. The unit currently in the boat stopped recognizing XM and the left side speakers are dead. I need to find an alternative.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree those sony marines are garbage, imo unless u are in salt water a non marine headunit is fine. i have had an alpine that was 2 years old already in my boat for close to 4 years and its been fine