Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring a Nav/DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring a Nav/DVD

Just bought a DNX7120). Is this something that I need to have professionally installed? Or is it simple enough for a novice to tackle?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

That depends on your level of experience. Installing that model isn't much different from installing any other aftermarket head unit (aside from needing a modified dash bezel to fit the larger size). You'll need a harness adapter and an antenna adapter. The only extra wire is the parking brake switch wire that makes the video/GPS work.

Other than that, you have the GPS antenna which can be mounted in the corner of the dash underneath the plastic panel. Depending on what optional equipment you're connecting, there will be some additional wiring: satellite radio, rearview camera, iPod adapter, etc. Also, you'll want to get and install a SWI-JACK to retain use of steering wheel controls.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey WhiteBird!
I purchased this unit based on your recommendation. I haven't received it yet, but it should be coming in early next week.
I just called a local audio shop & they said I'll need a harness and said it would cost about 125 for the harness, and would take a week for them to get... does that sound about right?

Can you link me to where I can purchase the antenna adapter?

I forgot about the steering wheel controls; thanks for the reminder
Old 07-31-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$125 for a wiring harness?

i know for my 95 i bought the wiring harness at best buy for about $20. i wouldn't think the newer style wiring harnesses would be much more. I don't have the steering wheel controls hooked up to my stereo but i think that is $50-$75 and is not a part of the wiring harness you mentioned. that is a control module you have to buy from an aftermarket company.

I bought all the stuff to add an aftermarket deck to my car at best buy in 2004 and i seem to recall it costing $50. that was for the wiring harness, the antenna adaptor and the 1.5 to 1.0 din adaptor panel.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's right. A wiring harness adapter should only cost around $20 or less depending on where you buy it. It is the standard 88+ GM 21-pin adapter harness used for almost all GM head units since the late 80s. (It's 21-pin but it fits the 20-pin socket on f-bodies).

An antenna adapter is just a short piece of antenna cable with a small GM-style Motorola socket on one end and a standard Motorola plug on the other. This is because GM uses a smaller antenna plug than aftermarket standards. The adapter should cost $10 or less.

Both can be found at any audio shop, most auto parts stores (I get them at Pep Boys), and even some Wal Marts.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kenwood DNX5120, I assume it uses the same wiring harness (Ive been VERY please with this unit BTW). You have several components to the wiring harness, and you need to buy ONE of them. The Kenwood will come with a harness the will plug into the headunit, with loose wires on the end. From there, you need to pick up a harness that will plug into the factory connector. You will need to splice the wires from the Kenwood harness to your aftermarket harness. You will also have a parking brake switch wire, which is meant to be hooked up to the E-brake to make sure that certain functions of the headunit cannot be used while the car is moving. Luckily, all you need to do is ground that cable to enable use of the headunit while moving, as opposed to other brands such as Alpine where its much more difficult to manipulate the parking brake switch. There is also a reverse wire that senses when the shifter is set in reverse, to activate a rear view camera if you have one. If you dont have a reverse camera, dont worry about that wire. Hope this all makes sense to you, good luck.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike they are raping you
that price is way over inflated for just a harness
i have so many of the antenna adapters lying around ill give them out to anyone who will pay the shipping for them
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Jay. I shot you a text.

T.S.- Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad at all.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

I picked up a metra harness with antenna adaptor from the walmart near me for around $8. The only thing missing is the vss and the second wire for the light that tells the radio lights to dim. The $25 harness at Best Buy has the second lighting wire but no vss. The antenna adaptor was a seperate item for around$10 or $12.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Firebirds don't have VSS in the stereo harness (only Camaros do) and Kenwood head units don't use the dimmer wire - their display dimming is an on/off setup triggered by the parking light (brown) wire. So any of those harness adapters will work in this situation.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

It's $125.00 only for the adapter that retains the door chime and stuff like the Onstar in later model GM vehicles. Your vehicle doesn't need that harness as stated above.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, I need some advice.

I took the DNX7120 to my installer today & here's what he said.

A) He can hook up all the wires & everything for $100. (GM 21pin included) & leave it on the seat for me, and I make it fit/mount it myself.
B) He will charge me $100 to wire it all up and another $100 to do the cutting to make it fit ("I do it right," were his words.)

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

If you think you can make it fit yourself, go for it! The wiring isent that hard in my opinion but i really dont know if your good with that. As for fitment, if you let him do it and it looks like a chop job what will he do for you?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Guys, I need some advice.

I took the DNX7120 to my installer today & here's what he said.

A) He can hook up all the wires & everything for $100. (GM 21pin included) & leave it on the seat for me, and I make it fit/mount it myself.
B) He will charge me $100 to wire it all up and another $100 to do the cutting to make it fit ("I do it right," were his words.)

What do you guys think I should do?
Does that include him modifying your bezel so it will fit? There will be a few inches on the side that will need to be covered up. If you search on here you will find several people who have made their own bezels and a few sponsors that sell them
Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the wiring is easier then making it fit
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IMO the wiring is easier then making it fit
fitment is easy, its takes about 2 minutes with a dremel to the top of the opening, the problem is that the stock monsoon is about 1/4-1/2" wider then the double din, so you need to adjust the bezel to get it to fit, it needs to be trimmed on the top and bottom and the sides need to be molded in, either with bondo or some other type of filler. Then the bezel needs to be painted or wrapped in a fabric.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, that extra $100 is for mounting it only; no bezel modification.
I've searched & I know that the stock bezel needs to be modified; I've read about a lot of people's experiences with modifying the firebird bezel & I feel pretty confident modifying it.

However, I can't recall reading too much about making a double-din fit in place of the stock radio. I know the top of the opening has to be trimmed about 1/8", anything else? I remember reading about a square block or something? What's that about? Where is it & what needs to be done to it; if anything?

Anything else?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

When installing a double din, is it necessary to modify the brackets holding the head unit in place????
Old 08-09-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N.O.E.
When installing a double din, is it necessary to modify the brackets holding the head unit in place????
no you can buy an aftermarket metra kit that will allow you to screw it in the same place as the stock unit. THen you build the bezel around it to cover the kit.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks transambandit...By any chance you wouldnt happen to have the part number on the kit would you?