Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions About Amp And Sub Install...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions About Amp And Sub Install...

Hey guys, I just got an Alpine Type R 10" sub and a pair of Type R speakers for the front. I am getting ready to go look at amplifiers today. I was wondering What would be a good Amp to go with. Eventually I will be getting the other 4 speakers and want to amplify all of them. For now, I will just be amplifying the fronts. I was just wondering what wires I need running from the head unit to the amp, from the amp to the sub, and the amp to my front speakers. I know I need a main power feed from the battery to the amp. What gauge should this wire be? I also know I need A remote wire running from the stock stereo to the amp. This is the blue wire coming out of the back of the stock head unit correct? What gauge wire should I use going from the amp to the sub and the amp to the speakers? Also, What else is there to hook up and what gauge wire should I use for everything? I Have the factory Monsoon Stereo system. This is my first time wiring up a stereo and I need as much help as possible...... Thanks!

Last edited by Bobs-00-SS; 12-26-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Launching!

By the way, since i have the Monsoon stereo system, do I need to run the speakers Thrue my amp since they are already amplified?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Crossfire XP2402 amp I will let go for $120 that would do really good for your speakers. (Crossfire is one of the leaders in car audio and is not very cheap.) Any 4 channel or 2 channel would do. I would personally go with a 4 channel and bridge it for now, and then amp all of your speakers with all channels when you're ready.

You will need:

1) A speaker-level converter. (To hook up the stock Monsoon to the amp.) It would probably benefit you best by just getting even a really cheap head unit. It is ALWAYS best to use line-level RCAs vs speaker-level. You will get a cleaner and more powerful sound. BUT you can get by with just a converter.

2) 4 ga. wiring kit. (Power wire, ground, remote turn on, RCAs, speaker wire.) You can go with an 8 ga. kit if you want to save a little money. I would buy come extra speaker wire since you will be running some long pieces to the front. Since you're not building a competition system or anything, I wouldn't worry too much about wire size. 14 ga will be plenty fine for speaker wire to both the sub and speaker.

There is no blue wire coming from the head unit. Just connect the wire to the ignition or ACC.

And DO NOT hook your factory speaker wires to anything except the converter. The only wires going to your speakers will be from the amp powering them.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Launching!

So it would make things easier if I got a head unit? If I do, does the amp for the monsoon become inoperable? What is the difference between a 2 and 4 channel amp? Also, the speakers I got are 2 way coxial speakers. Is that what I need and how do I go about wiring them in place of the front speakers? Thanks!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Do I need to return these and get non coaxial speakers? Or can I make these comonent speakers? If so, How do I do it? Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like u need to slow it down a few steps, read the entire faq there is alot of good info to be learned there
Old 12-26-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coaxials are speakers and the tweeters integrated together. Components are seperated and come with crossovers designed to optimize the output. You are fine with coaxials. They simply have a + and - that hook up, just like stock.

When you buy a headunit, you take the monsoon out and use either your new headunit to power them or an amp. Either way it will sound much better and eliminate the need for a converter.

Read up:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Learn...x?g=120&tp=115
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Will I loose Sound quality or power by wiring up the speakers as coaxials?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

You won't be "wiring" the speakers as coaxials.

I'd suggest reading the faqs as well.

Last edited by greendrazil; 12-27-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Well I got my Head Unit today. It is an Alpine CDA-9886

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...6.html?tp=5684

When I install this will It do away with the Monsoon system? Meaning My factory amp will be inoperable? Since It is a 4 channel HU, 1 Channel will go to each door power both the mid bass speaker and the tweeter. Then 1 channel will go to the mid bass speakers in the sail panel, and my rear "subs" will become inoperable correct?

So if this is true..... When I go to install my Alpine Type R coaxial door speakers. I simply wire them in just like the stock speakers. I do not modify the speaker wiring correct?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

you can keep the monsoon hooked up. Just wire up your radio harness and the gm harness that plugs into the car, and the monsoon amp is still in use. If you want to bypass the amp, you can, but i would do the sub at the same time you do the bypass or you will loose all your bass.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

for real, the best buy out there on amps right now are the MB Quart Discuss series amps. they do rated power and are cheap but very solid amps.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. For the price, the MB Quart's are a really good bang for the buck!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies. How do you bypass the monsoon amp when I install the sub?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

have u read the FAQ yet, alot of this is discussed
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Launching!

I got my Alpine head unit installed today and WOW what a difference! Even with the stock speakers it sounds waaaaaay better. I've got a couple of questions....

This head unit did away with a flat factory connector with 6 wires coming out of it. What is that for?

Also, How should I wire my new front door speakers? Do I attatch both positives from the stock harness together and then to the one terminal of the speaker and the same with both grounds? Or do I have to cut the wires that run to the speaker and wire everything individually? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Launching!

I got my Alpine head unit installed today and WOW what a difference! Even with the stock speakers it sounds waaaaaay better. I've got a couple of questions....

This head unit did away with a flat factory connector with 6 wires coming out of it. What is that for?

Also there is a wire coming out of the adapter harness marked dimmer. I am assuming that is for hooking up to your dimmer switch for your dash lights correct? Another wire coming out of the adapter harness is marked: INT IN. What is this for? And there is a remote wire coming out of the Alpine harness. This is the wire you connect to from the amp right?

Also, How should I wire my new front door speakers? Do I attatch both positives from the stock harness together and then to the one terminal of the speaker and the same with both grounds? Or do I have to cut the wires that run to the speaker and wire everything individually? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I read the FAQ's but I am still a little confused. Can someone please explain excactly how to wire in my Alpine coaxial speakers? Do I just take the positive and negative that run to the stock midbass and connect them to the terminals on the new speakers and ignore the factory wires that go to the tweeters since I am running an aftermarket head unit?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you either have to sepeate the tweeter wires from ur new speakers and keep them wired individually like the oem ones are

or run new wire from headunit into the door

or bypass the monsoon amp but just for the front speakers

yes that blue remote wire from the radio is what u wire to ur new amp
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks! If I were to bypass the factory amp, the front speakers wouldnt sound nearly as good right? What all does the monsoon amp power? Oh, and if I were to bypass the amp for the front speakers, How would I wire the front speakers then? Thanks again I greatly appreciate the help.