Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new hu and speakers..dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default new hu and speakers..dissapointed

so i just got done puttin in my midbasses from key audio, i'm stumped on the components for the front, not sure how i'm gonna do it....anyways, installed the new kenwood x993 and with it and those midbasses and the stock fronts it sounds terrible, no punch at all....have i done something wrong or is there no way around this without buyin an amp

is there no way to make the stock amp work?
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:52 PM
Banned

Have you made any adjustments to the settings on the HU yet? You can't just throw in a new unit and expect miracles. There is generally nothing wrong with the stock amp. Amps only amplify what is given to them. Now you've gotten a cleaner signal but if it is in a default factory setting it is not going to sound great.
The installation for the speakers is straight forward. Remove the door panels, remove the stock midbass and tweeters (tweeters are glued in in addition to the the screw so you have to pop it loose), cut the connectors off the stock speakers/teeters and attach them to the new midbass and tweeters via solder or crimp connectors, the tweeters can be attached to the stock bracket using 3M double sided trim adhesive tape und mounted under the stock grills, plug back into the stock harness in the doors and reinstall them, reinstall the door panel.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so the confusing part is the crossover...i wont be needing them?
Old 03-13-2010 | 10:05 PM
Banned

Nope. The Monsoon already does that.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

kee...the sound quality on my speakers is excellent but the bass is not even comparable to the stock monsoon....is that just the nature of the speakers i b ought or have i still not get it set up right

CDT CL-E61CV w/ CL-E6NEO Midbass
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:49 PM
Launching!

Might be a longshot but are you sure the speakers are all in phase? (Positive going to positive terminal, negative going to negative terminal).
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwhert
kee...the sound quality on my speakers is excellent but the bass is not even comparable to the stock monsoon....is that just the nature of the speakers i b ought or have i still not get it set up right

CDT CL-E61CV w/ CL-E6NEO Midbass
I just had the same problem you have, I bought the Premium system and had like zero bass. I just fixed it not 30 mins ago, the problem is the stock wiring. Pull out your sail subs and reverse how you have them wired. The stock monsoon clip is confusing. Flip your wires around, re-install and you should now have bass. Enjoy.
Old 03-16-2010 | 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you sir, haven't fixed it yet but first thing tomorrow ill give that a shot
Old 03-16-2010 | 09:30 PM
Launching!

That's what I was getting at, with polarities on a speaker reversed it actually pulls itself in rather than pushing out.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

My Sony has XPLOD and it gives you extra bass. It might be your HU.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Not really, considering that the woofers are run full range and the tweeters just have a first order crossover. It's not suitable for anything aftermarket.

You can use just the woofer signal to run the crossover for aftermarket speakers. It's not the ideal solution, but it's far more ideal than the crap that people keep spreading about using the built in "crossover" here.
Old 03-18-2010 | 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

dragonrage--- Yes the Monsoon does that for you, it only sends bass to the sail panels, that is controlled by the Amp.
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
This is true, but, considering he has totally new replacement speakers, wouldn't be of better choice to use the crossovers that came with (and are specifically designed for) the new speakers?
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1121
dragonrage--- Yes the Monsoon does that for you, it only sends bass to the sail panels, that is controlled by the Amp.
Yeah, I was gonna say..
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

sails are dvc spkeakers in a t/a anyway i just went through that.
Old 03-19-2010 | 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
This is true, but, considering he has totally new replacement speakers, wouldn't be of better choice to use the crossovers that came with (and are specifically designed for) the new speakers?
There are those who will say that using the crossovers that came with the speakers is crucial.

But there are practical considerations in this case. A crossover is designed to split a single channel into high and low frequency signals. The Monsoon system provides separate channels for each speaker element so using a crossover would require giving up that signal (i.e. putting a crossover on the door mid wires to power the tweeter would mean giving up the existing tweeter channel separate wiring). That results in a loss of overall output power.
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

don't we have a cross over in our cars already, (doors) i thought i've read that in another post.
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay... let's clarify how it works. There are no crossovers in the Monsoon system because every speaker element is on its own channel. However, there is signal filtering to certain channels which accomplishes much the same thing as a crossover.

In Camaros, all eight speaker elements (including tweeters) are powered by the amp. The sail panels get low-pass filtered signal, the door tweeters get high-pass filtered signal and all other speakers get full-range signal.

In Firebirds, the front and rear tweeters are powered by the head unit and all other elements are powered by the amp. The amp provides low-pass filtered signal to all four sail panel channels for the dual voice coil subs there. All other channels get full-range signal. The head unit provides full-range signal to the tweeters but there are inline high-pass filters in the wiring a few inches from the tweeters.
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Can someone provide evidence that the woofers have a low-pass? Because I don't think that to be the case. I actually hooked up some coaxial speakers to the woofer line and they sounded rather full-range to me. (And yes, I know that a filter, especially if it were only first order, would still have some highs, but trust me... there were plenty of highs here)

I am almost 100% certain that the only low-pass in effect is the actual inductance and native response of the woofer itself. I do not believe there to be a separate filter at work on the woofers in the front.
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Can someone provide evidence that the woofers have a low-pass? Because I don't think that to be the case. I actually hooked up some coaxial speakers to the woofer line and they sounded rather full-range to me. (And yes, I know that a filter, especially if it were only first order, would still have some highs, but trust me... there were plenty of highs here)

I am almost 100% certain that the only low-pass in effect is the actual inductance and native response of the woofer itself. I do not believe there to be a separate filter at work on the woofers in the front.
There is no filtering on the door woofers - they get full-range signal. The low-pass filtering is on the sail panel subs. For proof all you have to do is read any of the "I installed coax speakers in the sail panels and all I get is bass" threads in this and other forums.

Quick Reply: new hu and speakers..dissapointed