Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

circuit city claimed they weren't going to be carrying alpine for much longer when i spoke to them about 6 months ago, so maybe they actually went through with that.

you can go to yahoo shopping and search for the speakers there. i'm pretty sure the speakers haven't been discontinued
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, I have a blown front speaker and I'm definitely going to buy some Alpines tonight. And just FYI, if you have a blown front speaker, just buy new aftermarkets. I went to the Chevy dealer and they quoted the front speakers at $82.00 and the Monsoon amp at $550. It should sound better and save $$$ with aftermarket speakers. Thanks Rogue and Tuff.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i went to Best Buy and bought me some 6.5" Pioneer 4 Way speakers. So when i go to install them i just need to attach the stock harness to them and put them in the sail panel behind the seats. The guys at Best Buy said i need to re wire it all in order to get the best sound. What is the best way to do this??? Rogue/Tuff???
Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed the Alpine SPS-170A a couple of days ago and I'm almost thinking that the RMS is too low because it is slightly distorting. The RMS is at 40W. I thought about buying a set of Fosgate Power series 6.5" with 150 total and 75 RMS. Do you think this will make a difference? FYI in case some of you were wondering, the replacement 6.5" subs for the rear panel will cost you around $90 each. Kinda high but from what I've heard about them, it should be worth it.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

let me know what you do with the subs in the read sailpanels.... i'm interested.... i was looking at putting subs in the Z but, i didnt wanna lose my t-top space....

my center speakers are non functional as of now, i'm thinking its the brainbox....

Thanks.... Dan
Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up thanks for the help

'bout a month ago, i took on the task of upgrading the sound in my 98z...didn't really know the first thing about stereos, but with the help of you guys, especially tuffluck and rogue leader, it was a piece of cake. kept the monsoon h/u, and installed alpine sps 170-a's in the front, and alpine sps 100-a's in the rear hatch area (i personally like rear fill). Also installed some JL 6w0's in the sail panels, but they weren't getting near enough power, so i got a rockford fosgate p3002 to run 'em (it runs 75 watts rms X 2 at 4 ohm). Kept the other speakers running as originally set up, and i gotta tell ya, for just about $400 or so, it sounds damn good and still looks completely stock. Just wanted to say thanks, and couldn't have done it without smart people like you.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Ok i went to Best Buy and bought me some 6.5" Pioneer 4 Way speakers. So when i go to install them i just need to attach the stock harness to them and put them in the sail panel behind the seats. The guys at Best Buy said i need to re wire it all in order to get the best sound. What is the best way to do this??? Rogue/Tuff???
i'd have to see the speaker to give you a better explanation. follow the tweeter wires and hook them up to the tweeter on the coaxial; likewise for the midwoofer. it's that simple, but i'm not entirely sure how much sense that makes to you
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Teching In

I am in the middle of this upgrade on a 2001 Z28. I've got the driver's side speaker switched out and it sounds great. However, the stock wiring on the passenger side has different colors! I can't tell which wires are mid bass and which are tweeter. I have two choices. There is a Green and Purple set of wires, and a Orange and Turquoise set. Who knows which is which???
Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheWilldog
I am in the middle of this upgrade on a 2001 Z28. I've got the driver's side speaker switched out and it sounds great. However, the stock wiring on the passenger side has different colors! I can't tell which wires are mid bass and which are tweeter. I have two choices. There is a Green and Purple set of wires, and a Orange and Turquoise set. Who knows which is which???
This is what you should do... Take one set of wires and hook it up to the mid bass. If it plays, then you have the right wire. If it doesn't play, hook the other one up and try it. It may be safe to try both just in case. But you MUST try the wires on the mid bass because if you try them on the tweeter, the mid bass wire can blow it. This is how I figured out my wires and everything works great.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
This is what you should do... Take one set of wires and hook it up to the mid bass. If it plays, then you have the right wire. If it doesn't play, hook the other one up and try it. It may be safe to try both just in case. But you MUST try the wires on the mid bass because if you try them on the tweeter, the mid bass wire can blow it. This is how I figured out my wires and everything works great.
this will actually help you better differentiate:

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m.../AmpCamaro.htm
Old 03-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Default Memphis Audio

Been having the same problem alot of people have just found that Memphis audio makes a 6.5 speaker that can be done like the alpine. Personally i think the Memphis is a better speaker.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
I ended up just guessing. I hooked up the dark green / orange wires to the mid bass, the light green and purple to the tweeter. It works, nothing's blown.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TheWilldog

You got lucky getting the wires right the first time or else you would be replacing that tweeter.

Brentb

As far as your saying that the Memphis is better than the Alpine, it would not surprise me. I have always heard that Alpines were great speakers but I currently have one hooked up on my driver side door (SPS-170A) and the stock monsoon in the passenger side door. I played with the balance the other day and the Alpine sounded good at low volumes but if you crank it too much, it distorts and the mids are not very loud. I switched to the monsoon and it was clearer than the Alpine, yes you heard me right, and the quality of sound was better because every note was perfectly balanced unlike the Alpine. I'm almost tempted to spend $82 on a new monsoon speaker for my drivers side door. I think the only speakers I'll replace are the subs in the rear sail panels.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Third Chrome Wheel Director

I just did the switch (Alpine SPS-170A's) up front and I also did the rear fills with some Infinity 4002i's in the back (also co-ax) and I have to say there are *** kicking.......and I also just had it all installed at my local Circut city, I was in and out for under $250 for all of it, all 4 speakers + insall (Alpines bought on etronics.com, Infinities at the store).....I think is was a nice, cheap alternative to replacing the whole thing and it sounds so much better than stock, even with a little less bass the tweeters are crisp and tight and the whole tone of both sets are fluid, money well spent IMO.....
Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

glad you like it, blue beast!

as far as the memphis vs. alpine, you're powering either with a monsoon amp, which is going to distort the same. the SQ difference is going to be so minimal it's not worth disputing. stick to the cheaper option.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
let me know what you do with the subs in the read sailpanels.... i'm interested.... i was looking at putting subs in the Z but, i didnt wanna lose my t-top space....

my center speakers are non functional as of now, i'm thinking its the brainbox....

Thanks.... Dan
I am was looking at getting he bottom box on this link for my Z, added subs and not sacraficing t-top space https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....27&postcount=9
Old 04-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Launching!

ah, i like, i'm going to have to wait till later this year to put the bottom one in tho..... i need perfroamnce mods first

Dan
Old 04-19-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking thread due to excessive Pages/content. Will reduse to a more useable form.

Quick Reply: For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!