Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listen to mine just as loud or as louder then I did before ... I just have it faded to the front a little, and its turned up more since the speakers are getting less power. I can actually listen to them louded then I could before since the new speakers don't distort and sound like crap when turned way up like the cheap stock speakers.

Originally Posted by anasazi
so is the general feeling about this swap that you cannot turn the stereo up as loud, and that it will generally play quieter?

i like to turn it up sometimes and if its going to sound like crap i'll just get more used monsoon speakers
Old 10-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
I listen to mine just as loud or as louder then I did before ... I just have it faded to the front a little, and its turned up more since the speakers are getting less power. I can actually listen to them louded then I could before since the new speakers don't distort and sound like crap when turned way up like the cheap stock speakers.
did the swap and i'm happy.

it seems like sometimes when a lot is going on and the bass hits then it'll get slightly distorted, but not much more than the stock speakers did. i'm happy so far.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Hey guys great thread.....very useful info. I have a question here and if anyone can answer great (especially Rogue Leader ) Ok i have the same problem with the Subs going out, so i went out in search of replacements. Went to Best Buy and saw a vareity of 6.5 2-ways 3-ways of my pricerange. Knowing that the amp will only deliver lower frequencies i went with somea rockford fosgate coax T162C here is the link for more info on the model
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...wer%20Coaxials
I hooked them up and for some reason they sounded distorded and i swear my stock subs sounded better. Now i own 98 Z with the moonsoon so i can bet i have the 200W amp. So i guess what i am trying to ask are these speakers ok and i did something wrong or is the amp not sufficient to drive the speakers or vice versa. thanks guys
Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

well less than 1.5 hours on the speakers and the passenger door speaker is sounding like its blown at lower frequencies... its rattling.

can i just take the one speaker back to circuit city or do i have to take both of them back?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by anasazi
well less than 1.5 hours on the speakers and the passenger door speaker is sounding like its blown at lower frequencies... its rattling.

can i just take the one speaker back to circuit city or do i have to take both of them back?
figured out it wasn't blown, just have a door rattle now

speakers sound great still
Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Tuffluck or Rogue, I really want to get the swap done all at once and I am still looking for sail subs. Is there a replacement that you gentlemen suggest? I have found RFP3406, but I see those aren't to be used as free air. I am totally confused when it comes to stereo stuff and have just about every post printed on the subject. I am going to have my wife help me with the install since she had a big RF system in her Lexus. Can I use the 3406 or should I just hire a midget to make thumping sounds in my backseat when I drive around? The inept stereo guy thanks you.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jv101
Hey guys great thread.....very useful info. I have a question here and if anyone can answer great (especially Rogue Leader ) Ok i have the same problem with the Subs going out, so i went out in search of replacements. Went to Best Buy and saw a vareity of 6.5 2-ways 3-ways of my pricerange. Knowing that the amp will only deliver lower frequencies i went with somea rockford fosgate coax T162C here is the link for more info on the model
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...wer%20Coaxials
I hooked them up and for some reason they sounded distorded and i swear my stock subs sounded better. Now i own 98 Z with the moonsoon so i can bet i have the 200W amp. So i guess what i am trying to ask are these speakers ok and i did something wrong or is the amp not sufficient to drive the speakers or vice versa. thanks guys

I wouldnt doubt they sound distorted. Firstly if youre gonna use em you have t lower your bass level, they cant handle it.... Secondly they are full range speakers so they are not gonna sound as good as even your factory subs, they arent designed to play bass like that with an amp.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

do the image dynamics CX62's produce the same or better bass sound as the stock speakers in the back seat?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you're gonna spend money on the subs, DON'T power them with the stock monsoon.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Great thread!! So these front lower door Camaro Z28 speakers are 6.5 inch coaxes right? An old friend of mine owned a car stereo shop for 19 years and highly recommended Eclipse speakers to me. Question is this, they're about $110, but I really want those adaptor connectors that someone on this thread got from Crutchfield with his Alpines. Any ideas? Another old car stereo install trick to not cut off the connectors is to splice wires inline before the connector. That is if you want to save them.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now we just need a thread for CONVERTIBLE Camaros!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Default vertible confusion!

Tuffluck and Rogue Leader, Glad you guys are still kicking. I'm posting here as well because I'm champing at the bit...got the alpines waiting...

For convertible sail panels...

I've read all this stuff and someone (KOBWO) back in 9-02 said VERTS have full range front and rears. If so maybe they are wired only for fullrange speakers??? You know where I am going with this...did I luck out on my aquisition of RFP 2206's, which was a mistake (this newbie thought he was buying subs, ). Specs are 6.5 diam., 2-way, 4 ohm, 35hz-24kHz, sensitivity 89dB, mounting depth 2 19/32

OR Should I return them and get subs - if my vert wiring is appropriate for subs?

Whatever I do I think I'll need to make or buy spacers (KOBWO was getting 1" spacers from Best Buy) to miss the convertible top. I'll make enclosures of fiberglass too.

Anybody?

Last edited by rambo benson; 11-10-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Teching In

What about using Kicker SSMB6 drivers as a replacement for the Monsoon sail panel speakers?

Or maybe a JL Audio XR650-CW? (Since the 6W0 subs are meant for use in an enclosure)
Old 11-13-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thanselm
What about using Kicker SSMB6 drivers as a replacement for the Monsoon sail panel speakers?

Or maybe a JL Audio XR650-CW? (Since the 6W0 subs are meant for use in an enclosure)
like i said, don't power your subs by the monsoon amp. it really isn't worth the trouble and effort and money you will put in. the best option for bass is to just get a single subwoofer. it's really not all that expensive.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Please help....does anyone know if Camaro Convertibles Sailpanels are wired for subs or just fullranges. I don't seem to be getting through with this question. I would really appriciate some light on this.
Thanks,
RB
Old 11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sailpanel speakers in the Camaro convertible is wired as a Sub/Tweeter type speaker. They are not full-range type speakers. Attached is the wiring layout for the convertible.

-Tom
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
camarostereo_wiring_1.bmp (65.8 KB, 544 views)
File Type: bmp
camarostereo_wiring_2.bmp (64.0 KB, 425 views)
Old 11-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Launching!

THanks Tom!

Now, I know RL already told me these speakers I bought are not subs, but for a CAMARO VERT, would the following work OK in the sail panels? I think the answer is no.....woofer /tweeter is not the same as a sub /tweeter right? Just want a definitive answer. (sorry I'm a dope when it comes to understanding this stuff)

Rockford Fosgate HPC2206
6 1/2" Inch High Performance 2-way. (Pair)
Item# 12525
Sale Price: $69.00
Customers Rating: 8 out of 10
Sensitivity: 89 dB
RMS Power Range : 75 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 150 Watts
Frequency response: 35-24000 Hz
Titanium-plated poly woofer
Rubber surround resists elements and improves woofer accuracy
Swiveling polyethylene tweeter for optimum imaging
Sensitivity 89 dB
Frequency response 35-24,000 Hz
Recommended power range 2-75 watts RMS
Peak power handling 150 watts
Old 11-15-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rambo,

If you are going to use the Monsoon Amp the answer is no. I have tried it and all I really could here where the highs and very little to no lower freq. The Monsoon Amp LPF the signal going to the sub part of the factory speaker. If you are going to keep the Monsoon amp you will have a problem. I was able to get it to work but it would take too much time trying to type it up.

If you want, PM with a number to reach you at and I can try and explain how to make it work wit the Monsoon as I have done it.

-Tom
Old 11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
Rambo,

If you are going to use the Monsoon Amp the answer is no. I have tried it and all I really could here where the highs and very little to no lower freq. The Monsoon Amp LPF the signal going to the sub part of the factory speaker. If you are going to keep the Monsoon amp you will have a problem. I was able to get it to work but it would take too much time trying to type it up.

If you want, PM with a number to reach you at and I can try and explain how to make it work wit the Monsoon as I have done it.

-Tom

Hey Tom, Thanks very much for your advice. I'll PM you when I get back from a short trip man. I used the fader tonight to put all the sound to the back and even with factory "subs", or whatever TF they are, all you get is highs and "air" they are crapola. SO I hear you. TTYS.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Launching!

kind of off topic,

does anyone know about a problem with the middle speakers in 99 z28's? ever since i bought my car the speakers havent worked at all.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!