Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid
I'm sitting here looking at the back of my new Alpine SPS-170A. I'm trying to understand when you say this:

the tweeters have a negative that connects directly onto a metal prong. the tweeter positive connects to a small capacitor (to allow NO bass or mid frequencies to reach the tweeter - if that happens, the tweet will blow - so don't leave this capacitor out of the loop!!), and then the capacitor connects to the other metal prong. what you do is clip the connection where the metal prong meets the capacitor, and likewise for the negative end of the tweeter. this is another reason that the alpine's are good speakers for this feat because they are pretty easy to dissect the wiring from, and trust me, this is a very important aspect.

Are you talking about a seperate tweeter other than the one that is built into the 170A?

I'm not quite sure what I need to clip, and what I need to connect.

There are 5 prongs on the back of this speaker. I'll get my camera out later when it's charged up and snap a photo for reference.
well, it's not really as complicated as you are making it i'm nearly positive. you need to take a picture. i'll use MS paint to show you what to do from there. PM me if i don't get back to you within a reasonable amount of time.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tuffluck
well, it's not really as complicated as you are making it i'm nearly positive. you need to take a picture. i'll use MS paint to show you what to do from there. PM me if i don't get back to you within a reasonable amount of time.

Well I'm about to do this install myself as my front speakers sound like a$$. I got the 170A's at Circuit City today and hopefully get them installed tomorrow. I'm a bit confused myself on which wires to cut but I think I right about this... Cut the neg wire for the tweet, and cut the lead from the capacitor where it connects at the pos connection on the speaker. Then wire the capacitor into the pos lead from the car wires, and of course neg connects to the neg wire. Then the other 2 wires go to their respective place for the mid range. I took a pic and maybe someone can show exactly what to do.
Attached Thumbnails For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!-speakerwires.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by west1055
Well I'm about to do this install myself as my front speakers sound like a$$. I got the 170A's at Circuit City today and hopefully get them installed tomorrow. I'm a bit confused myself on which wires to cut but I think I right about this... Cut the neg wire for the tweet, and cut the lead from the capacitor where it connects at the pos connection on the speaker. Then wire the capacitor into the pos lead from the car wires, and of course neg connects to the neg wire. Then the other 2 wires go to their respective place for the mid range. I took a pic and maybe someone can show exactly what to do.
Thanks West. I was meaning to take that same pic, but forgot to.

Could someone photoshop on that pic what exactly I am supposed to clip to make this work on a 2000 Camaro?
Old 04-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolaid
Thanks West. I was meaning to take that same pic, but forgot to.

Could someone photoshop on that pic what exactly I am supposed to clip to make this work on a 2000 Camaro?

NP.

I just finished installing these speakers. I'm impressed with the sound to say the least. Helluva lot better than factory. I used my helms manual to figure out which wires where what. Then I cliped the connector off and wired in the 170A's. I took about 45min on the first then the other side only took like 15min to do. Hardest part was was getting the door trim piece back on around the door handle.

I redid my pic to show how I wired them up. I didnt cut the capacitor completely loose as I didnt see it neccesary as where the other lead is soldered to the prong is seperate from where the pos prong is for the mid range.
Attached Thumbnails For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!-wiring.jpg  
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Anyone in NJ area that can help me out with this? I have an aftermarket headunit and a sub and amp in the hatch. Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by west1055
NP.

I just finished installing these speakers. I'm impressed with the sound to say the least. Helluva lot better than factory. I used my helms manual to figure out which wires where what. Then I cliped the connector off and wired in the 170A's. I took about 45min on the first then the other side only took like 15min to do. Hardest part was was getting the door trim piece back on around the door handle.

I redid my pic to show how I wired them up. I didnt cut the capacitor completely loose as I didnt see it neccesary as where the other lead is soldered to the prong is seperate from where the pos prong is for the mid range.
Thanks a ton! I'll be doing the install in a few weeks.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rogue Leader or somebody else are these the kicker subs you guys are talking about. Kicker RMB6. They have them on crutchfield and other places. Please let me know.
thanks
matt
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mattsls1
Rogue Leader or somebody else are these the kicker subs you guys are talking about. Kicker RMB6. They have them on crutchfield and other places. Please let me know.
thanks
matt
yes Kicker RMB6 is what we are talking about
Old 04-09-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool i got a pair off ebay for 80 bucks.
matt
Old 04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what speakers should i feel the back hatch with. I know it doesnt really matter but i want to get that rattle noise away. thanks
matt
Old 04-09-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered some cheap POLK AUDIO GXR4 4" speakers for the hatch. We'll see how they sound once I get them in.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

call me a retard, but i dont really understand what you guys are talking about. i dont know anything about electical stuff. can you sum up what you did to an idiot? did you just buy new speakers and install them yourself?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

We are installing aftermarket speakers to go with the factory Monsoon. We are avoiding having to replace the headunit. We all know the Monsoon speakers aren't quite up to par, so we replaced them to get better sounding audio. Yes, we are installing them ourselves...I hope.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Anyone mounted tweeters in the front. Trying to figure out where to put mine. Also, can I connect them to the two wires that come from the HU.

Last edited by Matty22; 04-22-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

I have read A LOT of posts about replacing speakers/headunits for F-bodies with the Monsoon system but all the posts I have seen are for cars with the 500 watt system like the T/A has. What about the cars with the $hit system (200 watt Monsoon)? My 1999 SS has the weak a$$ 200 watt Monsoon. I hate driving my 2000 WS6 because when I get back in my SS the stereo sounds like complete $hit. My SS has NO bass what-so-ever! My 1992 Buick Skylark winter beater with it's factory Delco cassette stereo blows my SS's stereo away, even the bass! Is the 200 watt Monsoon set-up like the 500 watt system; in that upgrading is a royal PITA? I want to replace the OEM CD HU with a CD/DvD/MP3 HU with the LCD screen that comes out of the HU and has the DvD brain built right into the HU(the ones that sell for $2500.00). I want to upgrade all the speakers and add some 10s or 12s in the back for some serious bass when wanted. My friend told me he would do the complete install. He has a lot of stereo experience but none with Monsoon systems. He wants to remove the factory HU and all the factory speakers but leave ALL the wiring and connectors. Then install the new HU, speakers, subs, amps, and run all new wire. This way if I ever want to sell the car I can easily replace my OE stuff. Does this sound right/possible?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

will an audio place know how to replace the speakers without replacing the head unit?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I installed the Kickers. These were a direct replacement correct???? Lets just say they sounded like ***. My stockers are back in now. They played pure bass and were distorting like crazy. Im depressed.
matt
Old 04-30-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mattsls1
Well I installed the Kickers. These were a direct replacement correct???? Lets just say they sounded like ***. My stockers are back in now. They played pure bass and were distorting like crazy. Im depressed.
matt
did you put them in the sail panels??? thats where they go and the sail panel speakers only play bass.... they are subs
Old 04-30-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes i put them in the sail panels. The bass was weak. It was like they werent getting powered a lot. The stockers sounded better in my opinion.
matt
Old 05-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default '99 vert Z28 info

OK just did this last weekend and thought I would post.
I just replaced the speakers in the doors with the Alpine 170A's
2 sets of wires connected to the stock speakers. The shorter of the 2 connected to the mid range with the longer going to the tweeters. All the wires were the same colors red and red w/black stripe. These appeared to be coming from a group of wires that were mainly out of site behind the plastic mounting frame attached to the door. As far as sound they are not as loud as the stock with the volume control in the same place but they sound better. Seems the stock speakers had more bass but these have enough.
Overall a good replacement for the stock speakers.
Jocko

Quick Reply: For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!