Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

headlights/interior lights flicker, voltage drops, weird issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one you're talking about isn't part of the alternator mounting then. The one on the back was definitely not a 13. The three big fuggers that you unscrew towards the fans/radiator are 13mm. Then there's the one on the back... but it's smaller.

I guess it might be worth the question... what year is your car? lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
The one you're talking about isn't part of the alternator mounting then. The one on the back was definitely not a 13. The three big fuggers that you unscrew towards the fans/radiator are 13mm. Then there's the one on the back... but it's smaller.

I guess it might be worth the question... what year is your car? lol.
it is a 2000. check this out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lternator.html

just barely scroll down to the 2nd post where the OP quotes Whitebird00 and shows the diagram of the alternator swap. it is bolt #1 i am talking about. mine was 13mm. i'm thinking you could just take off bolt #2 instead since the whole thing would come loose from the engine then, right?

did you complete the big 3 by grounding the engine to the chassis, and how'd you do it? so no more flickering lights?

also how did you get that bolt, from underneath the car?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
it is a 2000. check this out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lternator.html

just barely scroll down to the 2nd post where the OP quotes Whitebird00 and shows the diagram of the alternator swap. it is bolt #1 i am talking about. mine was 13mm. i'm thinking you could just take off bolt #2 instead since the whole thing would come loose from the engine then, right?

did you complete the big 3 by grounding the engine to the chassis, and how'd you do it? so no more flickering lights?

also how did you get that bolt, from underneath the car?
#1 for me wasn't 13mm... but I have a 99. No oil cooler lines run there... so it might be a tad different for you.
And I didn't fix the flickering by doing the big 3, I fixed the flickering by replacing the alternator. I used a rebuilt stock one also, lol. If you took off bolt 2, you would still have to remove the alternator's front mounting bracket before the alternator would come off.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
#1 for me wasn't 13mm... but I have a 99. No oil cooler lines run there... so it might be a tad different for you.
And I didn't fix the flickering by doing the big 3, I fixed the flickering by replacing the alternator. I used a rebuilt stock one also, lol. If you took off bolt 2, you would still have to remove the alternator's front mounting bracket before the alternator would come off.
yeah the front is easy to get to, the rear not so much. sounds like i need to replace my alternator.

when you say your lights were flickering, can you give me an example of what the flickering was like? i sit in my garage and at idle the interior and exterior lights oscillate rapidly, and if i give the car a little gas, they oscillate at the same speed but get brighter than just at idle. does that sound like the same thing you were experiencing?

yeah mine was definitely a 13mm. haha, guess they changed it, o well!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, should i go ahead and replace the alternator or should i wait until it fails an autozone test? my lights are flickering terribly all the time. it is astounding to me that it "passes" said inspection
Old 04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah the front is easy to get to, the rear not so much. sounds like i need to replace my alternator.

when you say your lights were flickering, can you give me an example of what the flickering was like? i sit in my garage and at idle the interior and exterior lights oscillate rapidly, and if i give the car a little gas, they oscillate at the same speed but get brighter than just at idle. does that sound like the same thing you were experiencing?

yeah mine was definitely a 13mm. haha, guess they changed it, o well!
My lights were just getting dim and bright at a pretty high frequency (like 4 or 5 times per second). When I revved my engine, it didn't really change anything.

Quick Reply: headlights/interior lights flicker, voltage drops, weird issue...