Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

daytime running lights questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default daytime running lights questions

I have a 97 Z28. Trying to figure out some headlamp issues. This car has daytime running lights which I dont want. Is it as simple as removing/cutting the wiring to the sensor in the dash? Also, It only lights up the FRONT marker lights currently when it senses that it is daytime. Is that normal? Or, should the headlights or REAR markers be on too in the daytime?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Try using this guys method, it's what I did. Should work on the 97's.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
Try using this guys method, it's what I did. Should work on the 97's.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
That's exactly what I did, and yes it does work on my 97.

There is no sensor for DRL's on the 97 cars, they are just on all the time. This mod turns them off by default, and they still come on when you turn on your fog/headlights.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for that link! I think it will do the trick.

Spartan7 : Not sure about your 97 but, mine definitely has the sensor. Maybe firebirds dont have it.... not sure. I didn't notice it till a friend pointed it out. Lights come on when I cover it up and go out when I uncover it in daylight sooo... definitely a sensor in mine. Its right beside the Alarm LED on the dash.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Firebirds/TA's do not have the Sensor, it's basically the same setup, just a strait wire vs photo diode or whatever. The soldering of the A to B on the C2 kills the DRL's and autolights.

If you don't feel like soldering, you can just unplug the C2 (small one) from the unit, it won't hurt anything. It will however keep the "BRAKE" light from coming on when the E-Brake is pulled. I ran for years like this with no problems, then I decided to solder it cause I wanted to be able to pop the hatch on my SS with the engine running.

Last edited by rtr2001ss; 07-03-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

There's some real confusion here. Yes, Camaros have sensors and Firebirds don't (in the USA... Canadian Firebirds have the sensor). But the sensor has nothing to do with DRLs.

DRLs are Daytime Running Lights - the amber lights on the front that go on when the car is running regardless of whether it's night or day. The sensor is for automatic headlights - they go on when it gets dark (or the sensor is covered).

The DRLs are on if the main lights are off or you have only the parking lights on. When the headlights are on, the bright DRLs go off and are replaced by the dimmer running light filament of the same bulbs.

So, the question is... do you want to disable automatic headlights or daytime running lights? Your first post indicated headlights but you called them DRLs. The procedure for disabling them is different. The automatic headlights can be disabled by shorting the two sensor wires together (a ScotchLock connector is good for this). Disabling DRLs is more involved as you can see from the link in a previous post. Besides, why would anyone want to disable DRLs - they're a safety feature, especially for others to see you in low light situations.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I disabled my DRL's cause 1, don't want my bulbs burning out faster, 2 no evidence that DRL's are doing anything for safety, bike run lights on all the time and still get run over. In low vis times I turn on my parking lamps with the fog lights, ie when it rains.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The problem is that many companies building DRLs into their cars are using the headlights (high beams at reduced power) so motorcycles can get lost in a sea of oncoming headlights. A small bike with a single headlight also makes it difficult for drivers to judge - small objects seem farther away because drivers are used to judging the distance of an approaching car or larger vehicle. That's why a headlight modulator is a great safety device for motorcycles. That's also why amber DRLs are so much more effective. I notice a GM product with amber DRLs much sooner than other vehicles - it just catches your eye better.

When I say low visibility, I don't necessarily mean fog, rain, dusk, etc. Here in Florida we have a lot of canopy roads where oncoming traffic is in shadows much of the time (even in bright daylight). DRLs make it much easier to see those vehicles sooner. And the number of fools that don't turn on their lights in fog or rain is astounding. I guess they figure "I can see the road so why should I care if anyone can see me?"

DRLs have been proven to reduce collisions significantly in countries like Canada where they are mandated. That's fact not opinion and it says to me that they are a worthwhile safety device. Bulbs burn out more quickly from being cycled on and off than from constant use. If you really want those $1.19 bulbs to last longer, you would be better to stop using your turn signals (which we both know would be really stupid).

There's always excuses for not using safety equipment (like helmets on a motorcycle) but they usually don't hold up to analysis.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am mainly concerned with the automatic headlights. I truely despise automatic headlights. Or, at least the way they are on this car. There is no option of turning them off at all without messing with the wiring. If I'm turning my car around in someones driveway, or when I'm approaching the gate on military bases, it's polite to turn the headlights off but, I'm unable to with this cars setup. In general though, I think it just turns people into bigger idiots by getting them so used to automatic things that they dont even think to turn the lights on themselves. Eh, whatever... I wish they'd invent/implement automatic turn signals here in florida for all the retards that dont ever use them.

I also want to disable DRL's. I'm not worried about bulb life here. I just dont like the fact that I'm unable to turn them off at all. I do like the safety aspect but, in that effect, I still have the ability to turn the switch one click and put on the parking lights.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I am mainly concerned with the automatic headlights. I truely despise automatic headlights. Or, at least the way they are on this car. There is no option of turning them off at all without messing with the wiring. If I'm turning my car around in someones driveway, or when I'm approaching the gate on military bases, it's polite to turn the headlights off but, I'm unable to with this cars setup. In general though, I think it just turns people into bigger idiots by getting them so used to automatic things that they dont even think to turn the lights on themselves. Eh, whatever... I wish they'd invent/implement automatic turn signals here in florida for all the retards that dont ever use them.
I agree with you that you should be able to turn off automatic headlights (especially when approaching military bases). Most newer cars have this capability. You can install a switch in parallel with the sensor wires to give you this control.

Splice a wire into each of the two sensor wires (don't cut the sensor wires) and run these two new wires to a simple on/off switch. With the switch off, the automatic headlights will work as normal. With the switch on, the sensor wires are shorted together and the system will think it's bright daylight, disabling the automatic function (the headlights will still work using the headlight switch).

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I also want to disable DRL's. I'm not worried about bulb life here. I just dont like the fact that I'm unable to turn them off at all. I do like the safety aspect but, in that effect, I still have the ability to turn the switch one click and put on the parking lights.
That's my point - they're not much of a safety device if you turn them off. And if you plan to turn on your parking lights all the time, why not just leave the DRLs the way they are?

Sounds like an excuse to me. "I like them as a safety device but I want to be able to turn them off"... do you also want to be able to turn off your airbag? At least worrying about bulb life had the appearance of being reasonable.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights questions