Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ravelco Anti-Theft Devise .... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Ravelco Anti-Theft Devise .... Thoughts?

Wanted to know what people's thoughts on this product were. I'm considering installing this.

http://www.nohotwire.com/?gclid=CNTR...FQ4MbAodUBM_wg
Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty cool. Might actually work but I'm not sure. I'm sure that somebody will chime in though and either say cool idea or rip it apart. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, essentially, if you had a dvom and some jumper wires you have all the wires you need to make the car run put in one location? No splicing or cutting?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

heard about this for years... never talked to anyone who's actually installed it though.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Found this on YouTube about the Ravelco system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QrpiOXxaSs
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

i have seen the same thing.. it sounds really good..
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

For $300 it doesn't seem like a bad investment.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have one that's still in the box. I was going to use it on a vehicle at one time but went another way with a kill switch. It looks like it would work as designed and it seems to be well made. I hope the $300 price includes installation because I'd sell the one I have for much less.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just used a relay and tapped into the starter,etc under the dash and the passenger side carpet in my 86 Z28 when I was trying to do something like this years ago..Then I wired it into the power window switch so you would have to hold down the power window switch while turning the key or she wouldn't start.Funny watching my buddies trying to figure it out.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's actually a great idea. That's not something people would think of.

Ravelco had an article in GMHTP a while ago. I have the issue on my book shelf.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ That's actually a great idea. That's not something people would think of.

Ravelco had an article in GMHTP a while ago. I have the issue on my book shelf.
I remember that artical. That's what made me think of using this.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its a cool concept, but im not sure about their claim that a car has never been stolen with their product installed. What if the thieves use a tow truck?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

I think the idea is good, but I wouldn't spend $300 on it. Having had someone attempt to steal my Trans Am, I can tell you it is actually pretty easy to do. They sent "CSI" out to look at it, and they explained how the theft happens while they were looking at it. It has nothing to do with the key. Crack open the steering column around the key hole, then cut the cable that runs to the key. When you are turning the key, all you are doing is pulling back on that cable to start the car. My battery was dead, or they would have driven off easily. While I waited for an appointment to get the column replaced, I could still drive the car. I just had to take a pair of pliers with me to pull the cable, and it started just fine!

You could essentially recreate this piece by placing a relay on the the starter wire. Attach that relay to a momentary switch under your dash, or in whatever inconspicuous place you prefer. Make the switch need to be engaged to allow electricity to the starter.

Done, and it didn't cost $20 - Red97LT1 has it dead on.

Edit:
Come to think of it, my starter is off, and my carpet is out. Thanks for the idea. Low tech, virtually no work, perfectly effective. I will be installing this this week!
Now I need bullet proof glass and jimmy-proof locks then I'll be good!

Last edited by transsam; 07-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transsam
I think the idea is good, but I wouldn't spend $300 on it. Having had someone attempt to steal my Trans Am, I can tell you it is actually pretty easy to do. They sent "CSI" out to look at it, and they explained how the theft happens while they were looking at it. It has nothing to do with the key. Crack open the steering column around the key hole, then cut the cable that runs to the key. When you are turning the key, all you are doing is pulling back on that cable to start the car. My battery was dead, or they would have driven off easily. While I waited for an appointment to get the column replaced, I could still drive the car. I just had to take a pair of pliers with me to pull the cable, and it started just fine!

You could essentially recreate this piece by placing a relay on the the starter wire. Attach that relay to a momentary switch under your dash, or in whatever inconspicuous place you prefer. Make the switch need to be engaged to allow electricity to the starter.

Done, and it didn't cost $20 - Red97LT1 has it dead on.

Edit:
Come to think of it, my starter is off, and my carpet is out. Thanks for the idea. Low tech, virtually no work, perfectly effective. I will be installing this this week!
Now I need bullet proof glass and jimmy-proof locks then I'll be good!
Not quite, its more likely VATS saved you. Without the key its not hard to pull the tumbler out of the ignition switch and manipulate it with a pair of pliers. You can turn the car to the on position and or acc, but you cannot start it unless you bypass VATS. Theres 2 wires running to the key portion of the switch, and those read the VATS pellet on our keys. Disconnecting or cutting those wires will do nothing, the bcm still needs the electrical resistance of the VATS pellet to start the car.

Your battery probably died when they had the switch in the on position after spending all night trying to figure out why the car wouldnt start.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Not quite, its more likely VATS saved you. Without the key its not hard to pull the tumbler out of the ignition switch and manipulate it with a pair of pliers. You can turn the car to the on position and or acc, but you cannot start it unless you bypass VATS. Theres 2 wires running to the key portion of the switch, and those read the VATS pellet on our keys. Disconnecting or cutting those wires will do nothing, the bcm still needs the electrical resistance of the VATS pellet to start the car.

Your battery probably died when they had the switch in the on position after spending all night trying to figure out why the car wouldnt start.
The battery had been dead for a week or so. The tumbler means nothing at all when you crack behind it, cut the cable and pull. It honestly starts right up. It bypasses the key part of the ignition completely. I really did drive for a few days by using a pair of pliers to pull the starting cable inside the steering column. No keys at all, just pliers. I felt like a living white trash cliché: driving around in a Trans Am that needed pliers to start it. At least it gave me a good chuckle.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transsam
The battery had been dead for a week or so. The tumbler means nothing at all when you crack behind it, cut the cable and pull. It honestly starts right up. It bypasses the key part of the ignition completely. I really did drive for a few days by using a pair of pliers to pull the starting cable inside the steering column. No keys at all, just pliers. I felt like a living white trash cliché: driving around in a Trans Am that needed pliers to start it. At least it gave me a good chuckle.
Are you sure you never tuned out VATS? Technically you shouldnt be able to keep the motor running with proper resistance between pins 86 and 87 on the PCM, because of the fuel enable that VATS would have to enable. Seems strange, I need to pull out a diagram...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You're right TireSm0ke, the car must have the VATS system bypassed. There is no way a stock 4th gen f-body can be started without the correct key or bypassing VATS. The BCM blocks ground to the starter relay and turns off the fuel enable signal to the PCM if it doesn't "see" the correct resistance.

The VATS system was designed by GM specifically to handle the ease with which a slide hammer could remove an ignition cylinder allowing a screwdriver to be used to start the car.

Many people bypass VATS to install a remote starter or just because it has a tendency to screw up and leave you stranded at the worst time. If transsam didn't do it then a previous owner must have.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Teching In

It works. Three failed attepts on my previous Denali and one on my current Denali. Two of the times I plugged the plug in and used the relay to crank the over and drove it to the dealer to get the ignition fixed. Made me a believer and installed one on my GTO. Everytime they tried to steal my Denali they damaged the door lock, ignition, steering column and relays under the hood. Call them right up and they install where ever your car is at. My GTO got installed at my work.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're right TireSm0ke, the car must have the VATS system bypassed. There is no way a stock 4th gen f-body can be started without the correct key or bypassing VATS. The BCM blocks ground to the starter relay and turns off the fuel enable signal to the PCM if it doesn't "see" the correct resistance.

The VATS system was designed by GM specifically to handle the ease with which a slide hammer could remove an ignition cylinder allowing a screwdriver to be used to start the car.

Many people bypass VATS to install a remote starter or just because it has a tendency to screw up and leave you stranded at the worst time. If transsam didn't do it then a previous owner must have.
Thank you for confirming this WhiteBird, I was a little worried there for a second. I keep hearing claims from people that a 4th gen can be started in under a minute without a key. I thought the only way was to have a key made and know the resistor value. Are our cars really that easy to steal?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

I had better check the VATS on my car. I am owner number two.
Thanks for the correction and heads up guys!

Last edited by transsam; 07-27-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Ravelco Anti-Theft Devise .... Thoughts?