Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PAGING: WhiteBird00 or anyone who can help me find a great Double DIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PAGING: WhiteBird00 or anyone who can help me find a great Double DIN

Sorry, I don't have my PM's on and you don't have e-mails on, so... lol.

I wanted your help on picking a Double DIN for my car (years ago I had a really nice in dash DVD that got stolen and I just said f@ck it and rolled with a delete for awhile until a friend was so annoyed he gave me his stock cassette radio to stick in, lol).

Long story short, 3-4 years of nothing basically I'm ready to go all out...

Your Pioneer AVIC-D3 seemed nice (and they go for like $150 used now!) but I obviously wanted something newer...

I'd like it to be large touch screen, red lights if possible, DVD player (though I'd prefer blue ray), navigation, interface capabilities with my HTC EVO (not just playing sound through the speakers but actual interface) and also abilities to control a couple other things through the touch screen (I know some units have an on/off button and a momentary button to control external devices).

Most of all I want something that will deliver excellent sound quality.

Also, my old one had a TV tuner which I actually used quite a bit BUT that is when TV was analog, lol. Is there even such a thing anymore?

Finally, I'd love to find something very modern with internet capabilities (either through it's own system or through my phone's wi fi, etc...), apps, etc...

I do not want a carputer as it would probably be over my head. Just want something with all the features of the newest radios offered in the coolest new cars from the factory (you see adds all the time now for cars with Facebook apps, etc...) and maybe a little more

Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very interested to hear what WhiteBird00 has to suggest as well.

There are a couple units that are new for this year which I'm trying to find out more info about. They are Kenwood DNX9980 and Pioneer AVIC Z130BT, and I think both are expected to be available around late March/April area.

So far based on as little information I can find, I am leaning towards the Kenwood DNX9980 unit due to it's ability to display OBDII readouts (with the use of some bluetooth device) and supposedly Garmin navigation is supposed to be one of the better ones (still Greek to me); although if it's as slow as it's predecessor (the DNX9960) then the pioneer unit would probably suit my needs.

Not much help at all, but two units to have a look at.... unless someone says otherwise.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Cool, thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

Which of these would you guys recommend...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...GPS-Navigation

I saw a video where one had exactly what I wanted (was even running Facebook app updates) but I don't know what model it was...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT maybe? I've NEVER spent a lot of money on a head unit and have even done the opposite rolling with the cassette player for years now so I am willing to finally splurge for a GOOD unit that will not be out dated in 2 months...
Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Banned

Anyone know where to actually buy a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT? Everywhere I look says back ordered...
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

There's a few on eBay they also have a nice navigation, Bluetooth, DVD unit ( probably from china) for $240. I saw a guy who bought one and it works perfectly fine. Do a search for double din on eBay
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response - I wanted to check with some friends since I don't deal with new audio equipment on a daily basis.

I believe your choice comes down to the Pioneer AVIC-Z series, the Kenwood DNX series, or the Alpine INA-W900. These are the only mainstream brands that offer variable display/button color along with the features you want. Unfortunately, no one of them offers all the things you want in a single unit.

All offer excellent iPod/iPhone and satellite radio control, navigation, bluetooth, and great sound quality. The Kenwood has Garmin based GPS which is always top-rated but the Pioneer navigation is vastly improved over earlier models and is quite good now. Pioneer has perhaps the best sound because of the many options for control such as their 7-band equalizer. It also has Pandora integration although that requires an iPhone. Alpine has the fastest start-up time and the best iPod integration. None of them have Android smartphone integration (other than the usual bluetooth).

But the Kenwood DNX9960 has the most options that match your wish list. It is the only one that has the external device control switches and TV options you mentioned.

If you want a Pioneer but can't find the AVIC-Z130, the AVIC-Z120 is still available and is essentially the same except for lacking built-in HD radio (it can be added with an external module).
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Whats the desire to have all the gadgets going on with your head unit?
Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Whats the desire to have all the gadgets going on with your head unit?
cause gadgets are cool!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about putting a Double Din in....I heard that it doesnt just slide in, some mods have to be made. Any one have any pics?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Try doing a search on "double din". There are dozens of threads about installations and most have photos. The only modification necessary is to the trim bezel so the larger face will fit.