Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Planet Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011 | 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Planet Audio?

Frankly, despite my age, I'm new to the aftermarket audio world so I have no clue which brands are better/worse than others.

what I'm looking for is a simple double din head unit thats easy to install (I like the way double dins look in TA dashes), can play CDs, and has iPod/MP3 interface. Thats it. This is my daily driver and I paid less than two weeks salary for it so I dont want to spend a ton on something like a radio.

I found a local place selling these Planet Audio head units
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2275427033.html

thoughts? opinions?

my car has the 10 speaker Bose system with a Monsoon head unit that works just fine for me but I'd like to listen to some of the songs on my iPhone over the car's speakers. Plus this one looks cool and is priced right

TIA
Old 03-31-2011 | 02:10 PM
On The Tree

If you are looking for the cheapest possible ipod interface and not concerned with sound quality, look here >>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html
Old 03-31-2011 | 02:40 PM
Teching In

I am sure that will work as a cheap double din
Big names are Pioneer, Sony, kenwood, and Jensen and a little less Dual
Old 03-31-2011 | 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KipMaslonka
If you are looking for the cheapest possible ipod interface and not concerned with sound quality, look here >>
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html
yeah, I saw that and looks like an easy mod... but my Monsoon head unit buttons are starting to chip/flake and one broke so by the time I find a good used one, switch it to blue (something I failed to mention earlier), add the adapter, etc, I may as well just purchase a new replacement
Old 03-31-2011 | 04:49 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

save a little more money and buy Pioneer or Kenwood.
You will be much happier in the end
Old 04-01-2011 | 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
save a little more money and buy Pioneer or Kenwood.
You will be much happier in the end
+1. There is no doubt that you would be happier in the long run with one of those brands.

BTW, there is no such thing as a Bose with Monsoon system. What you have is a Monsoon system which consists of the amp and ten speakers. The head unit is not really part of the system... it's just an ordinary Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. Bose systems were only available in 93-96 Camaros. You can find a lot more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 04-01-2011 | 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
+1. There is no doubt that you would be happier in the long run with one of those brands.

BTW, there is no such thing as a Bose with Monsoon system. What you have is a Monsoon system which consists of the amp and ten speakers. The head unit is not really part of the system... it's just an ordinary Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. Bose systems were only available in 93-96 Camaros. You can find a lot more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
the car is a '93 but the original owner installed the Monsoon head unit just before selling me the car

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2011 | 10:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by VinR1
the car is a '93 but the original owner installed the Monsoon head unit just before selling me the car
Still something doesn't add up. You mentioned double DIN in a T/A dash and 10 speakers. Neither of those things were available with Bose. The (Camaro only) Bose system had three or five speakers depending on configuration - never 10 speakers and never in a T/A. Besides, the Monsoon (Delco) head unit won't work with Bose speakers and amps without a special adapter to convert the speaker-level output into something the amps can handle.
Old 04-02-2011 | 09:03 AM
Banned

I have access Planet Audio's full line of products. They are ok on a budget but as stated, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, and Clarion are all much better options. Especially when it comes to iPod interface or even iPhone.