Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need bass out of my door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need bass out of my door speakers

System:
Alpine head unit CD-9856
tma 6.5" in doors and sail panels
jl 300w amp
alpine type r 10" in stealth box

I have rockford fosgate 6.5" speakers im wanting to put in my doors...(ugrading from total moble audio ones). Problem is there is soo much bass coming through my door speakers that they're distorting at a volume thats pretty unacceptable (around 21-22 out of 32). the subwoofer is maxxed out at 15, highs are around 4 or 5 (out of 7), and i keep the bass around 2 with rock and up to 6 or 7 (out of 10). listening to some rock with the bass on 2, im getting a lot of distortion with a band that has very crisp sound. Is it something with wiring or is it simply the bass setting is supposed to be turned down and i don't have enough sub?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

I'd say your HU settings are too high, you shouldn't have anything max'd out. Has your system as a whole been tuned at all by someone who knows how? If not, have a friend who knows how or a reputable shop do it to try and balance the sound, it should only cost $20 for a shop to do it. And what type are the door speakers?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Launching!

well to be honest man I normally tune all of my friends systems. I've been a musician for 12 years so i know what it SHOULD sound like haha. I understand quality and how to tune an eq but on this particular app...i just need to talk to people who know more than me. This head unit has an individual control for the sub and also a setting for bass. To get a decent thump in normal music such as country or rock...we're at around 2 out of 10 on the eq for bass. i keep the sub maxxed on the head unit because it's not distorting at all. sounds great. problem is to have it thump more like how it should be with rap music i have to turn the bass up to around 6 which in turn makes the door speakers sound like **** and distort at an even lower volume.

I guess what i need to know would be is the bass setting supposed to be much lower and i just need more sub to fit my needs?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

well... I think you are on track with needing more sub for your needs.. I am not entirly familiar with your HU, but you said you have seperate controls.. thats a +.. now do you have seperate outputs in the back of the HU? are the subs on their own channel? and do you have a HPF (high pass filter) on your HU? if you do, filter out the base manually... if not, get a new HU... makes a world of difference..
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Launching!

how can i tell if i have high pass filter? I'm not sure about the outputs on the back of the HU either. I'll pull it when i get a chance and check it out. also i only have one sub now...just the single 10"

also i have rockford fosgate punch door speakers. I mean these were farrrr superior to anything else in best buy. i was told by a guy at the local audio store that the total moble audio door speakers that i have now are very nice. but if both sets of speakers are nice and they're both distorting at such a low volume then i gotta figure something else out
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

id say lower the general eq bass setting all the way down. and raise the bass eq setting. thats how i setup all my stereos, keeps most if not all the bass to be put out by the subs.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the unit you have there is no HPF unfortunately. That would solve your problem. As stated, you need to adjust your settings on the EQ independently from the output from the sub.
So to tune your system you need to turn the sub off basically with the sub out volume and then tune your EQ for the front door speakers and get a comfortable level there first. Then turn your sub volume back on and up until you get the bass you want from that channel. If you are not getting enough bass then you are going to have to adjust the amp output to get more bass output. If that is not achievable then you may need more amp. The sub you have is capable of putting out serious bass and can handle 600watts RMS power so it will put out the bass your looking for and then some. That JL amp is a good amp, it just may not be enough to get you where you need to be.
I know your getting the bass output when turning up the EQ setting for bass through your current amp but the source should be coming from the sub channel instead of all the channels. It can be a pain to get it right.
Another option would be to get a set of crossovers that will filter out the low and bass and allow through the midbass frequencies you want to come through. I generally like mine crossed at about 70-110hz. This will get rid of low end bass but still hit kick drum type bass. This why I like to use component speaker systems over coaxials whenever I can so that I can utilize the crossover for tuning out unwanted frequency from certain locations. Some of the newer head units also have this built into them as well which makes tuning easier as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
On the unit you have there is no HPF unfortunately. That would solve your problem. As stated, you need to adjust your settings on the EQ independently from the output from the sub.
So to tune your system you need to turn the sub off basically with the sub out volume and then tune your EQ for the front door speakers and get a comfortable level there first. Then turn your sub volume back on and up until you get the bass you want from that channel. If you are not getting enough bass then you are going to have to adjust the amp output to get more bass output. If that is not achievable then you may need more amp. The sub you have is capable of putting out serious bass and can handle 600watts RMS power so it will put out the bass your looking for and then some. That JL amp is a good amp, it just may not be enough to get you where you need to be.
I know your getting the bass output when turning up the EQ setting for bass through your current amp but the source should be coming from the sub channel instead of all the channels. It can be a pain to get it right.
Another option would be to get a set of crossovers that will filter out the low and bass and allow through the midbass frequencies you want to come through. I generally like mine crossed at about 70-110hz. This will get rid of low end bass but still hit kick drum type bass. This why I like to use component speaker systems over coaxials whenever I can so that I can utilize the crossover for tuning out unwanted frequency from certain locations. Some of the newer head units also have this built into them as well which makes tuning easier as well.
I understand exactly what you mean. I'm going to turn the sub off then just tune all speakers so they sound right then turn it back on. I know there are some adjustments that can be made with my amp so i may need to look into that and learn some more about that.

could you go into a little more detail about crossovers, i.e. what it is and how they install to the system? that sounds very interesting and like it would do my system a world of good
Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummmm did you orig. have a monsoon system in your car,,, and upgraded the system useing all the stock wireing.... well your not getting full range to those speakers,,,
,,, run all new wires to your speakers,, this bypasses the stock amp and filters.....then go from there..
like he said,,, turn your sub all the way down,, then set your deck to almost max volume you like it at,,, then turn the sub on and adjust it accordingly. This is why i like a deck with sub only volume setting,, so things like radio i can turn it down or up and the cd i can have at a different setting and it remebers them.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^ I thought if you get the pac oem wiring harness for head unit it fixes this so u dont need to re run wires.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont think so because the the sound still travels thru the rear amp in the monsoon system and there is only mid range sound going to the door 6.5"s,,, if you put a 2way speaker instead useing the gm wires youll only be putting mid range sound to that full range speaker. Also the rear sail panels are for lower bass only so no highs will come thru if you put a reg. speaker in there.
With a monsoon system its way better to just run new speaker wires IF you want to use full range (coaxial) speakers.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

what about if it the bose
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure,,, read the monsoon sticky,,,i never had to deal with bose before,,, but im guessing if it uses an external amp with like 6-10 speaker system i bet they filtered them some.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

some1 told me from here before if there amped your to use the pac oem b.c the monsoon and bose stereos wont work w.o the same speakers ie monson for monson amp and bose speaker for bose amp but they said the pac oem lets you be able to change them out without removing amp or redoing wire

Quick Reply: Need bass out of my door speakers