Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quality Budget Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eddielb
it wasnt enough for my doors - it lasted 6 months before it fell off - i used 3m 77 this time around ive heard offa corvette forum that it lasts that way
Good to know, thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

going to pick up the quick roof roll at Home Depot to do my trunk...cut the trap door to replace my fuel pump and sending unit, now wany to insulate it...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone used the Quick Roof on your door panels? Any issues? Comments? Is this good to put on as I was thinking of putting a vapor barrier on the doors? Thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrrman
Has anyone used the Quick Roof on your door panels? Any issues? Comments? Is this good to put on as I was thinking of putting a vapor barrier on the doors? Thanks
i think it would work fine ! it hasnt stuck and its been near 100 degrees here - but i mostly have it on my trunk *2 rolls* and then 5 rolls of frost king on the rest of the car
Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

i think it would work fine ! it hasnt stuck and its been near 100 degrees here - but i mostly have it on my trunk *2 rolls* and then 5 rolls of frost king on the rest of the car
Do you mean stuck or stunk?

On a different note, I was backing out of the driveway and slowly turning the steering wheel as the rear of the car began to dip on one side and lift on the other I could hear a snapping sound as the body twist broke some of the material adhesion loose.
That stuff had to be affixed very tightly in order to make a snap/pop sound like that when it gave way.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 rolls that I am going to the rear with. I will used the stinger rd kill foor the doors and sail.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Got the rear area done all the way to the back of the front seats. Did the drivers door as well and will finish the rest when I have time. Ive used 6 1/2 rolls so far and have used it very generously. Not a area uncovered. So far its made a dramatic improvement in outside noises, exhaust drone, tire noise, overall suspension noise, climate stability, and bass clarity. Would definitely recommend this stuff. I just used a roller bc it was hot enough i could press it into any place needed. The non buisness end of a screwdriver helps in the tight areas too...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Got the rear area done all the way to the back of the front seats. Did the drivers door as well and will finish the rest when I have time. Ive used 6 1/2 rolls so far and have used it very generously. Not a area uncovered. So far its made a dramatic improvement in outside noises, exhaust drone, tire noise, overall suspension noise, climate stability, and bass clarity. Would definitely recommend this stuff. I just used a roller bc it was hot enough i could press it into any place needed. The non buisness end of a screwdriver helps in the tight areas too...
Good work. It's very tedious work, especially if you tend to be obsessive compulsive about thing.
I'm contemplating covering the inside of the interior panels before reinstalling everything. Just not sure if it would be worth the time, money, and effort?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Yea thats me ha. I was thinking the same thing but didnt wanna add the extra weight and spend the money if there wasnt any more results. I havnt had any noise out of my plastics since I did this if that helps you any but its only been 2 days.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cpo
How long didnit take you to jnstall, not including interior removal and reinstall?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It took me about 2-3 hours to completely remove interior (except for the dash) and glue/press all of the frost king/peal and seal. Including the doors
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not bad at all.
I'm going to do mine this week sometime.
Thanks for quick reply
Old 08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally one of the best mods ive ever done - but im going to go back add some more to the transmission tunnel, and a little more to the doors - maybe get some ensolite - because now the rest of the car is quiet but I hear a lot of noise from the center console hahaha
Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Another good thing to do is put down some closed closed cell foam and a mass vinyl layer on top of the quick roof. The quick roof just prevents the sheet metal from vibrating and its not neccesary to cover 100% of the surface area (even though I did just for the hell of it). 25% coverage on the middle is recommended for the vibration dampner material and the foam should act as a barrier between the dampner and the MLV. The MLV is what really blocks out road noise, tire noise and exhaust drone. Think the dampner made a difference.... wait til you add these two components to complete the equation. Heres the formula haha Quick Roof (or Dynomat, Edead, Fatmat,etc.)+Closed Cell Foam+Mass Loaded Vinyl = QUIET.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should i leave my car outside in the sun to build up heat or just use a heat gun?
Any other recommendations; they are welcomed.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Another good thing to do is put down some closed closed cell foam and a mass vinyl layer on top of the quick roof. The quick roof just prevents the sheet metal from vibrating and its not neccesary to cover 100% of the surface area (even though I did just for the hell of it). 25% coverage on the middle is recommended for the vibration dampner material and the foam should act as a barrier between the dampner and the MLV. The MLV is what really blocks out road noise, tire noise and exhaust drone. Think the dampner made a difference.... wait til you add these two components to complete the equation. Heres the formula haha Quick Roof (or Dynomat, Edead, Fatmat,etc.)+Closed Cell Foam+Mass Loaded Vinyl = QUIET.
where did you get your CCfoam and mass loaded vinyl? and did you put it everywhere or just the center console/rear seat area? got any pics?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maxgee
Should i leave my car outside in the sun to build up heat or just use a heat gun?
Any other recommendations; they are welcomed.
With the Quick Roof I did mine outside in the sunlight (not by choice, limited time to work on it) and didnt need a heat gun. If you have the luxury of doing it indoors or in a shop a heat gun might be a good idea to make it easier to form. A dough roller is what I used and had ZERO problems getting it to fit and the even pressure really made it stick.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

where did you get your CCfoam and mass loaded vinyl? and did you put it everywhere or just the center console/rear seat area? got any pics?
No pics of anything but the quick roof as i have yet to do it to my car yet, just done extensive research and talked to some knowledgable people about it. The CCF is easy to get locally at packing places or Home Depot (this threads gonna turn ome Depot into a sponsor haha) for some generic stuff that works well for recreational use. The MLV is a little harder to come by locally unless theres an acoustic supplier for home audio/dampening near you. The stuff is heavy so its expensive to ship but ebay, second skin (LLP and LL), and sounddeadenershowdon sell some quality pieces.

As for the coverage area you want it everywhere, not like the vibration dampener. In an F-body, the biggest differences would be in the doors, rear hatch area, behing the back seats, and center console as you mentioned. Obviously thats most of the car but if your gonna do that just do the whole damn thing...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got done with the quick roof in the rear well and I am surprised at how far a roll goes. I used two and need another half or so to finish the wheel wells. I don't know if I'll do inside the drivers side fender well area, I'll have a stealth box wedged in there to help block out any road noise. All in all pretty cool stuff!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '00_Z
Just got done with the quick roof in the rear well and I am surprised at how far a roll goes. I used two and need another half or so to finish the wheel wells. I don't know if I'll do inside the drivers side fender well area, I'll have a stealth box wedged in there to help block out any road noise. All in all pretty cool stuff!
Just did mt TA last week...used 2 1/2 rolls in the trunk and man that stuff is sticky...looks good though

Quick Reply: Quality Budget Sound Deadening