Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quality Budget Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
So is everyone using the Quick-Roof? Or the Peal-n-Seal?

How are these holding up? Is anyone having problems with the pieces coming loose on vertical surfaces?
I'm using the Lowes Brand, which I think is Peal-n-Seal. I've done my doors and trunk. Its been a few years and its holding. I live in New England. It doesn't get as hot as Texas or as cold as Alaska, but its holding and I drive this car every day including in winter.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I covered the part of the door you see when you remove the interior panel (so the panel covers it) and I also reached inside and laid some on the backside of the outer skin.

This is KrisXpc's car, but my door looks like this:

Here is his thread for reference:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html

I reached in that gaping hole and laid more sound deadener on the backside of the outer skin so now when you look in that hole, you see more silver.

I found this pic of johnzss's car that show's what I'm talking about on the backside of the outer door skin:

My coverage is a little more complete, like KrisXpc's door.

Here is a link to his thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...dead-80-a.html

I'm also considering making a panel to cover than hole and, of course, cover that panel in sound deadener as well. I think I saw it done once.

Looks like you did a good job. I see were some guys use cardboard to cover the hole, then lay the sound deading on top of that.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
Looks like you did a good job.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by 98z8uup
I see were some guys use cardboard to cover the hole, then lay the sound deading on top of that.
I was thinking of aluminum or plastic; something that doesn't absorb water.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used the material to cover all of the openings. Wish I would have taken pictures of the doors before reinstalling the panels. I managed to keep the door handle rods moving freely allowing both handles to operate properly all the while sealing the door up tight. The door is acting like a vented enclosure now. Surprising how much tight punchy mid-bass I can get out of the temporary (shopping for components) mid-level Pioneers.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I used the peal and seal on the underside of the DD trunk lid and it came back off. I redid it and heated it with a heat gun and its holding this go round. It can defy gravity when heated.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I used the peal and seal on the underside of the DD trunk lid and it came back off. I redid it and heated it with a heat gun and its holding this go round. It can defy gravity when heated.
The only problem I had with it coming off, even when heated, was if it overlapped a lot while upside down. Doesn't seem to stick to itself quite as well for some reason.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

i found some at menards today and did most of the trunk made the mistake of only buying 2 rolls. used a laminate roller to press it all down and so far its working out i drove around and the drone isnt as terrible as it was before hand but that could just be in my head

Quick Reply: Quality Budget Sound Deadening