Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Massive Audio for Stealth box recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Massive Audio for Stealth box recommendation?

I am looking for a 10" for my stealth box and was thinking Alpine SWR-1023D but keep seeing Massive Audio mentioned. Which model should I be looking for?

Last edited by '00_Z; 07-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a stealth box you would have to use the TW-10 as the other ones are too large for a stealth box.
I have 2 DC-10 sub now and they are huge. Similar to Fi, old RE Audio, TC Sounds, and subs like that in that performance level. The TW doesn't have as large of a frame so it fits some stealth enclosures.
Which enclosure do you have currently? That can help narrow it down some more. There are very good subs out there for the money but some are just too big for some enclosures.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us all the qualifications you're looking for from a subwoofer. Fitting in a stealth box would be one (perhaps the only you've mentioned). Budget would be another. Others: output capability, power handling, how deep you want the bass to go (which will limit output capability because lower bass generally needs more excursion, more power handling and a larger box), how important low distortion is (or isn't) to you, what kind of music you listen to, etc...
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I have, bought off another member, bought off another member etc.. so I'm not sure what brand it is. Budget-wise I'd like to keep it under $175 for a sub with tight punchy bass, not boomy. I'm switching from two twelves so I don't expect that kind of sound obviously. I don't have an amp for it yet as I was going to decide on a sub first. Can't find my damn tape measure to get exact specs on the box..

Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put Kee's CDT HD1000 10" DVC into one of those, I like it. Got a Kenwood KAC-8105D on it. It won't blow your glass out or anything, but it does make tight, punchy bass.

Assuming it's pretty much the same dimensions, I believe the volume was like 0.75 Sq Ft, which the cone matched with very well.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

It is about the same. I can get an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 in one of those. Let me test fit one sometime this week and see if it fits. I have more Massive Audio coming in this week so I will have those subs in and can test fit one to make sure it fits perfectly. The Kappa Perfect 10 is a pretty large sub as well but it fit right in one of those. The CDT QES-1020 and the DC-10 do not without modding it. Modding one is not hard though.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good, I'm definitely interested in staying away from the big mainstream names just because everyone has them.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
It is about the same. I can get an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 in one of those. Let me test fit one sometime this week and see if it fits. I have more Massive Audio coming in this week so I will have those subs in and can test fit one to make sure it fits perfectly. The Kappa Perfect 10 is a pretty large sub as well but it fit right in one of those. The CDT QES-1020 and the DC-10 do not without modding it. Modding one is not hard though.
I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 in my Subthump box which looks to be approximately the same as the one he posted. Unfortunately the box itself doesn't seat all the way back and so interferes a bit with t-top storage... grr...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like I might have the Subthump box after all. Good to know! On another note I kinda like the rear mount amp rack they make too.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '00_Z
It looks like I might have the Subthump box after all. Good to know! On another note I kinda like the rear mount amp rack they make too.
They may have changed it some since I bought mine (2003), because mine isn't carpeted in the back and is shaped slightly differently. I just meant that it was around the same overall dimensions.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like another case where my recommendation is a Dayton Reference 10" HO (RSS265HO-4). It's in budget, has low distortion, decent power handling and competitive excursion for the price, while being good in a small box. The Infinity shouldn't be bad sounding but it's really a step below the Dayton. It handles half the power, won't be as linear or low distortion, and won't go as deep. Forget the rating on the frequency range on it - it's BS.

Last edited by dragonrage; 07-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by '00_Z
It is not a Subthump enclosure. They are different then that one. I know the one you have. I use them from time to time but also fabricate my own in MDF and used to do some in fiberglass that were good.
Subthump makes a good product and they are a little deeper in design then the one you have although you can mod yours a little and get close to the airspace volume and depth. I had a Subthump I used one a long time ago and actually have one laying around right now in addition to a JL Audio stealth enclosure and 2 JL Vantage enclosures. I have alot of stuff on shelves and don't even have an F-Body right now. I am toying with my GMC Typhoon trying to get it to pass emissions and then will be putting a sick system in it to the tune of about 2500watts. Gotta get it back on the road first though.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
It is not a Subthump enclosure. They are different then that one. I know the one you have. I use them from time to time but also fabricate my own in MDF and used to do some in fiberglass that were good.
Subthump makes a good product and they are a little deeper in design then the one you have although you can mod yours a little and get close to the airspace volume and depth. I had a Subthump I used one a long time ago and actually have one laying around right now in addition to a JL Audio stealth enclosure and 2 JL Vantage enclosures. I have alot of stuff on shelves and don't even have an F-Body right now. I am toying with my GMC Typhoon trying to get it to pass emissions and then will be putting a sick system in it to the tune of about 2500watts. Gotta get it back on the road first though.
Yeah I guess its pretty hard to tell from pictures, I was expecting it to have a bit more volume to it though. I know modding it isn't hard but the point of buying it was that I could use it as is. If you have a better one you might be interested in selling I would unload this one. At this point I'm not looking for huge bass, if that was the case I would upgrade my old JBL 12's but I do want something decent that will go nicely with the rest of the system I eventually want to get from you.

Quick Reply: Massive Audio for Stealth box recommendation?