Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hard-Wiring Satellite Radio and V1

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
If you're going to mount it there, might want to check out the BlendMount. It's a little pricy but gives it a very clean look when installed.

I think there are 1 or 2 members on here who have it.
Thanks for the heads up TruBlood. That looks like a very clean way to install.

I'm getting swamped by a million details haha. There's so many ways to install this stuff I'm trying to find the best way. Very cool though.

I'm still wondering where I'm going to mount my satellite antenna. Whitebird mounted his under the dashboard, but I can't understand how the signal can penetrate the dashboard. Sirius recommends mounting it outside on the roof for best reception. Lots of conflicting information it seems.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Here's another option for getting power to your V1 as well as the ability to lower the volume at low speeds. The "Savvy" plugs into your OBD port and gets power from there instead of having to splice into power wires. Does this seem like a good solution? Thanks.

https://store.valentine1.com/Store/
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Several things... yes, you want the two wire lighter socket. Single wire sockets are designed to ground through the outer casing so it's just easier to have a separate ground wire. Both the links you posted are two wire sockets - the first one just has the two wires bonded together (they're easy to separate for connections).

There is power at the mirror even in coupes (for the courtesy lights) that you can use for your radar detector but it is battery (constant) power so you either have to switch the detector on and off manually or let it stay on until the battery saver circuit shuts off the power about 15 minutes after you leave the car. If you want to do that, the blue wire is power and the black wire is ground. Possibly a better choice is to use the mirror ground but get power from the fuse panel. It's easy to run your power wire behind the headliner and the A pillar trim to the fuse panel on the left end of the dash. The fuse panel has three ports specifically designed for adding aftermarket accessories - use the one labeled IGN to have your detector go on and off with the key.

The satellite radio transmission frequency is very high (2.3 GHz) so it passes through glass and plastic as if it were transparent. I found that I got better reception with the antenna on that metal plate under the dash panel than I did when it was on the roof (on the plastic bar between the t-tops). I think the metal panel acted as small reflector for the signal. Some people may say that the panel acts as a ground plane but, for the most part, only transmitting antennas require a ground plane. Sometimes this setup for a receiving antenna is called a "near-field reflection ground plane". In any case, you don't have to worry about getting good reception with the antenna mounted there.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Great stuff Whitebird! Just wondering, with the cigarette socket having a ground wire as well as power wire, would I splice the ground wire into the ground wire in the radio harness? Or do I look for a screw? Socket power wire goes into the yellow wire and ground wire where?

Since I'm electrically challenged (as you can tell I'm sure), nothing is obvious to me haha.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can do either... a solid ground to a screw or connecting to the ground wire in the radio harness (or even the ground wire of the factory cigarette lighter) will work equally well.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Awesome Whitebird, I think most of my issues are cleared up. Oh yeah, one other thing. How do I run the wire (the 2-into-1 RCA) from the GM9-AUX to the satellite radio? Is it possible to fish it underneath the dash to the radio, or do I have to go straight out the front and have it crimped under the snap-on face plate? I really don't want to cut a groove in my face plate so the wire isn't crimped. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Where are you mounting the satellite radio?

There is plenty of room for running cable under/behind the dash. If you're mounting the radio low near the console you can run the cable behind the dash and out though the gap between the dash and the console. I had mine mounted in the console box since it was controlled by the head unit so I didn't need to have it visible. I ran the cable behind the dash and under the console then through a hole I drilled in the console box under the coin holder.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Whitebird, I'm not sure yet where I'm gonna mount the radio. I just got the radio and RCA cable ten minutes ago. I'm still waiting for the CD changer adapter, it should come any day now. Since I decided to hang with the Monsoon HU I'll have to have the satellite radio handy and probably as low to the console as I can, but what's important and helpful to me is knowing that I can fish the RCA wire down behind the dash from the HU cavity. I'll keep you posted here, if you don't mind, on how everything worked out. I can post some pictures too. As always, thankyou so much!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

ARRRGH! I thought I'd try to mount my radio in one of my center dash vents and I ended up breaking a couple of the louvers. So I pulled the ring and the louvers out and broke another louver, plus I can't seem to assemble it back together anyway.

Would anyone know where I could buy a new one? It's the one closest to the steering wheel (center dash, the left one I guess). I'd like to have a new one already assembled that I could just pop in there. I found the part number (17997681) but gmpartsdirect.com doesn't bring anything up. I'm gonna keep looking but was hoping someone might have had a similar experience and can help. Thanks.

Last edited by Predator; 12-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Latest update, I couldn't find a good place to mount the Sirius Onyx radio so I ordered an XM Snap instead. It's a little radio on a flexible stalk that plugs into a cigarette socket or cigarette adapter, plus it has an AUX input. I couldn't mount the Onyx in a vent and I don't like it the on top of the dash. I have traction control and a fan switch installed on the plate next to the TC on/ off button so I couldn't put the radio there. Anyway, I never use my car's cigarette aux adapter so I think this will work out. I just have to remember to turn off the radio. No biggie.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

A company called Pro Fit International makes custom brackets/mounts for mounting cell phones and satellite radios. They have one for Firebirds that mounts next to the HU using factory screws. (pro-fit-intl.com)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A company called Pro Fit International makes custom brackets/mounts for mounting cell phones and satellite radios. They have one for Firebirds that mounts next to the HU using factory screws. (pro-fit-intl.com)
Now you tell me lol. I checked that bracket out, pretty cool solution, seems ideal. I'm gonna see how the XMSnap works out first:

http://www.siriusretail.com/product/...res/XSN1V1.asp

My plan, Whitebird, assuming I can live with the XMSnap in the car, is to use my Onyx in the basement hooked up to my Bose Wave Radio. Sirius only charged me $19.95 for both radios, nothing for the Onyx, and $19.95 for the Snap.

Just wondering, placing the antenna under the dash as you demonstrated, is it possible to to run the antenna wire (the plug end) down to the console area or do you have to run it out the HU cavity then down into the radio?

Thanks for the reference to Pro Fit. I added it to my favorites list. Pro Fit is another example of the genius of the free market. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Link above isn't working, sorry. Here's a pic of the XMSnap. Not my car, just a generic picture I found online.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it is easy to run the antenna cable hidden behind the dash and/or console to just about anywhere you want. There are openings in the metal panel under the dash trim that make it easy to pull the cable through.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Whitebird, that's great to hear. My XMSnap should be here any day. I think this radio will work out for me. With satellite radio I don't really change channels at all. I have one channel that I listen to exclusively. If this radio doesn't work out I'll just go to Plan C, whatever that is. One of these days I'll actually have satellite radio in my car haha.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Update, I got the antenna installed under the dash, fed the wire to the right side of the console near the assessory power outlet, and buttoned up the dash. Next I have to install the GM9-AUX adapter and see if it works. I'm taking a break.

What was cool about taking off the T-Tops (to remove the side pillars) is that I had a chance to clean under there and lubricate the weather stripping with dielectric grease. Ok, back to work.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome, it works! At first I kept getting the e33 error message, but I kept playing around with the buttons, plugging and unplugging stuff, and it started working. One thing I noticed is that the reception is amazing with the antenna under the dash, just like Whitebird said. Crystal clear. I didn't realize I'd be able to get a signal without calling Sirius first. The radio display says I have 5 days before I have to subscribe.

I want to thankyou Whitebird for all your help. Everything you said was right on the money, so thanks again! I owe you.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Another update, I could live with the XMSnap, but it's not 100% ideal. The sound is amazing using the GM9-AUX, plus the reception is superb with the antenna under the dash (can't thank Whitebird enough), but the emergency brake, when it's down, pushes against the part of the radio that goes into the power socket. Not good.

I think I'm gonna try one of these mounts which is even cheaper than a Pro Fit:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/pa...3-custom-mount

I'll add the Panavise Tipper to the mount:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/pa...-tipper-swivel

This will be to use with the Onyx radio. If for some reason that doesn't work out I can always go back to the XMSnap.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can bend up your own bracket using a roofing/joist piece from Home Depot for $1 (its a flat piece 2in x 4in or longer with holes). I don't get why that bracket is $25.

As for the mount, if your satellite radio has a dock, you can screw the doc to the bracket instead of paying another $15 for that swivel mount. Otherwise, you can probably use some strong Velcro.

I've seen others on here make their own bracket that looks pretty much like that.

So in total, you'll be spending $2 - $5 making it yourself instead of $40 for the overpriced pre-made stuff.

The bracket/strap at Home Depot looks something like this:

I found that image via Google Image search on some other site.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Great info VIP1! Exactly what the doctor ordered. It even looks like a project I can handle.

BTW, I'm thrilled with how well the PIE GM9-AUX adapter works. Ingenious invention, really cool.

Much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Hard-Wiring Satellite Radio and V1