Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keyless Ignition & Entry Like the C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bill12690
curious though, if you have the door open, with the lights off... does the door ding sound just continuously sound? that'd **** me off, lol
That sound is from the key, unfortunately you have to have the key to unlock the steering wheel lock, the other way to fox this is to pull the steering wheel,air bag and all other components needed to remove the lock.

I already have the key sense wire identified in the bcm, i just been too lazy...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There has to be an easier way to disable the steering wheel lock?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Nope ive looked at the steering wheel column and found that the only way to remove is to remove steering wheel, air bag, and everything else
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I may have to add that to the list of things I want. I saw this before, but without the video. That video totally sold me on it lol. If anybody else buys this, want to do a write-up?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
Hmm I may have to add that to the list of things I want. I saw this before, but without the video. That video totally sold me on it lol. If anybody else buys this, want to do a write-up?
This is next on my list...just that steering wheel lock might be a deal breaker.

Difference between this kit and the simple honda s2000 push to start button was this doesn't require a key.

The system works as OEM on modern cars, but our cars has the steering wheel lock that requires all that work around that's mentioned.

Any techies/ electrical guru's wana chime in???
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Hey this looks really awsome man how much did it cost you and where did you get it from and also how dose it bypass the vats security system
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
This is next on my list...just that steering wheel lock might be a deal breaker.

Difference between this kit and the simple honda s2000 push to start button was this doesn't require a key.

The system works as OEM on modern cars, but our cars has the steering wheel lock that requires all that work around that's mentioned.

technically you can do the honda s2000 push to start and just get the proximity alarm with out the push to start module and just tap into the starter cables at the right location and couple of relays you should be set.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jbro90
Hey this looks really awsome man how much did it cost you and where did you get it from and also how dose it bypass the vats security system
I got it at advancedkeys.com, I just noticed that they added a new key fob,these guys are awesome, their support is by far the best. I contacted them countless times (my first alarm install) and always helped me out.

and one important thing and I will repeat it over and over, don't go cheap on the wiretaps, I learned the hard way
Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1121
Boy ya talk about lazy americans. lol
But it was the Germans! First car to have the RFID keyless entry was a BMW 7 series, and judging from the start stop button that kit is straight from whoever makes them for BMW, that button is identical to the one in my 550
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
But it was the Germans! First car to have the RFID keyless entry was a BMW 7 series, and judging from the start stop button that kit is straight from whoever makes them for BMW, that button is identical to the one in my 550
the button is actually a toyota button
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not an electrical thing it's mechanical, inserting the key into the ignition disengages the steering wheel lock mechanically. Its the same thing that keeps you from taking your keys out of the ignition sometimes, then you jiggle the wheel and it comes out. Removing it wouldn't be too bad. And your safe if you've got a good alarm system. Q
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by emenny81
the button is actually a toyota button
there must only be a few companies that make them...its literally identical, the light, the font, everything

I just thought about the Viper truck or Ram SRT-10 or whatever its called...it has a push button start but you still put the key in the ignition to unlock the wheel and turn acc on, then the brake and button turn the engine on, its not keyless though but still cool

EDIT: http://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104S.html

that avoids the immobilizer bypass too
Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by emenny81
their support is by far the best. I contacted them countless times (my first alarm install) and always helped me out.

and one important thing and I will repeat it over and over, don't go cheap on the wiretaps, I learned the hard way
Yeah, I been reading on their forums from time to time and its good to know they stand behind their product.

Thanks for being the first one to find out things for us.

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
It's not an electrical thing it's mechanical, inserting the key into the ignition disengages the steering wheel lock mechanically. Its the same thing that keeps you from taking your keys out of the ignition sometimes, then you jiggle the wheel and it comes out. Removing it wouldn't be too bad. And your safe if you've got a good alarm system. Q
Ok, so if I understand what you said the steering wheel lock is almost like a regular door lock type of mechanism.

Can this lock be triggered to open with a servo just like how the car's power door locks are triggered when the RFID key is in proximity?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I been reading on their forums from time to time and its good to know they stand behind their product.

Thanks for being the first one to find out things for us.
No problem at all and like I've told you in the past I have the wiring diagrams that I used and the color of the cables that I tapped into, now I know these color will vary depending on the year but I will post the Colors of what I used when I get back from work.

Ok, so if I understand what you said the steering wheel lock is almost like a regular door lock type of mechanism.

Can this lock be triggered to open with a servo just like how the car's power door locks are triggered when the RFID key is in proximity?
from what I've seen the lock is a mechanical ring that that moves when you activate your key, to get to this ring you have to remove all the items leading to it and there's a tab on it that you have to grind(dont quote me on this) and then put it back(you cant take it out completely or your steering will not work properly.

I believe I"ve read this from couple of posts I'll see if I have any saved posts on my computer when I get home. But from what I read you have to have a special tool to remove your steering wheel and you have to remove that airbag (gives me the chills) after removing those two items it should be a piece of cake (cross fingers).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-22-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote formatting
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's possible, but would be difficult. I guess you could wire the servo to Acc but the biggest problem would be installing it

Did u look at the link I posted to a kit by the same company except no button, it comes with a new "key" that you leave in the car
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wouldn't leaving the key in car like that, although hidden under that cap, make it very easy for anyone to break in the car and just turn the car on?

Or does the alarm's brain itself prevents starting the car even though the physical key is there.

My guess is the rfid key needs to be present for the key to be able to turn work?
I'm not sure, I have no expirence with this product and dont know exactly how it works. But I'd assume they'd have thought of something or they wouldn't be in business...I'd bet that VATS isnt "unlocked" until the RFID card is close enough to unlock the doors tho
Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

did some more digging, here's an excerpt from a post on their forum.

It is recommended to leave a shimmed key inside the ignition barrel, in order to keep the steering wheel unlocked. There should be no transponder attached to it. Theoretically, if someone were to jump into the car, and turn that shimmed key, the car will try to crank over, but will not start. The cars factory immobilizer will kick in, and lock you out. The AK unit uses a bypass module that becomes active ONLY if a valid key is detected. If you happen to lose, or break the access key, the AK system is equipped with a backup. It consists of a backup key card (credit card type of thing), and an additional sensor that should be placed at the front windshield of the vehicle from the inside. When the backup key is placed within a few inches of the backup sensor, it'll detect, and unlock the car and enable the starter. This will allow you to get home, and fix whatever issues you might have had with the main key.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Maybe I'm a little lazy and didn't read the whole thread entirely but I didn't see anyone ask about the wheel lock or VAT system...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mzenon88
Maybe I'm a little lazy and didn't read the whole thread entirely but I didn't see anyone ask about the wheel lock or VAT system...
That's because you didn't read the thread.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I had my tuner remove vats

Quick Reply: Keyless Ignition & Entry Like the C6