Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio Customer: low on base??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kee Audio Customer: low on base??

So I bought the Kee Audio premium package. Love to quality love the looks and fitment of the speakers. Love the clarity of the sound but let down on the base end of it. Not sure If im expecting to much out of the speakers or if I have my HU(keenwood kdc X969) settings wrong. Im not a serious stereo guy but I feel like the base is not there at all. My Jeep commander has more base behind it then these cdt speakers are putting out. HELP!?
Yes they are all working and wired up right.

Last edited by SpinsB; 08-08-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: bass lol base
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

add a single 10" sub in the back with an amp?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont want the added weight and not looking for that much base. I had a sub and amp in the back and ditched it.

kee audio guys chime in here.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-08-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I assume you're powering all channels from the OEM Monsoon amp?

Also, I assume you've tried playing with the equalizer settings on your HU, and maybe tried some of the pre-made DSP modes? (I'm not that familiar with Kenwoods) Does it have a "bass boost" mode or anything like that? Does it have a "loudness" setting? Usually that mode is only intended for use at low volume, if it exists.

If you're not willing to add a 10" with a monoblock, your only other alternative is push your midbass sails harder with an external 2/4 channel amp. ...and it doesn't sound like you're willing to do that. Even with that, a 6.5" will struggle below 80 Hz or so.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Capricio
I assume you're powering all channels from the OEM Monsoon amp?

Also, I assume you've tried playing with the equalizer settings on your HU, and maybe tried some of the pre-made DSP modes? (I'm not that familiar with Kenwoods) Does it have a "bass boost" mode or anything like that? Does it have a "loudness" setting? Usually that mode is only intended for use at low volume, if it exists.

If you're not willing to add a 10" with a monoblock, your only other alternative is push your midbass sails harder with an external 2/4 channel amp. ...and it doesn't sound like you're willing to do that. Even with that, a 6.5" will struggle below 80 Hz or so.
Yes I have tried all setting for base on my HU. different FRQ different levels and with loud on and off. I guess what im at a lose for is it doesnt have any more mid base or base in general over stock speakers. And I thought it would have atleast a touch more, which would have been perfect for myself. As far as Hz I have the option for 80/100/150 with my HU whats the best one or what does the Hz do.?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bass requires power, and a fair amount of it. If you are still driving the speakers with the stock amplifier, it is probably about as good as you're gonna get. Aftermarket speakers are also generally made with heavier duty components, and that will also eat some power.

Then again, don't think that a 6.5" speaker is going to produce a lot of bass...they won't. A small speaker just can't push enough air to really make a dent in the problem, especially when you are dealing with a very high noise floor to begin with considering your mods.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

correct me if Im wrong but the sail speakers are where most if all the base is coming from? Like I stated in the OP im happy with the over all sound and clarity of the speakers just thought there would be a bit more base over stock speakers.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I suspect that you ARE getting much more bass from your sails than you did with the stock speakers, just not in the same proportions. Can you please tell us the sensitivity levels of the door speakers vs the sail panel subs?

You improved the sensitivity level of all your speaker positions by replacing them with high quality pieces all around, but you're still pushing them with the same amount of power. The mid-bass cones aren't as sensitive as your door components, if I'm looking at the right models. And, as another poster mentioned, bass inherently takes much more power to proportionally sustain the level of volume as higher frequency elements.

If you're unwilling to increase the power to your sail panel cones, won't consider a 10", can't increase your bass settings on your HU... then all you can do is turn down the high freqency settings on your HU so the bass will seem more proportional.

Your question regarding HPF and LPF settings... the LPF will only affect signals sent out your sub RCA pre-outs, which you aren't using. If you were using them for your sails, I would set it as high as possible for 6.5", or up to 300 Hz. The HPF affects the the front/rear RCA pre-outs, and maybe (I'm not sure) the HU amplified front/rear channels that the Monsoon system uses. I would set this as low as possible or disable it, since the Monsoon system does it's own filtering after the HU signal. If you have the HPF set too high, then it's possible the Monsoon system isn't getting enough low freq signals to send to the sails.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-09-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you do any sealing or sound deadening when you put the speakers in? The sails CANNOT seal on their own. The speed nuts hold them up off the sheet metal and leave a gap. There is also a gap in the doors, as well. Lack of sound deadening might be the problem.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

omg its BASS, not base
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avaric3
omg its BASS, not base
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Bass

I have the Kee prem speaker in my 97 TA and with the Monsoon HU and my butt vibrates with moderate volume and first 3 bass range controls on the eq just above min settings
Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Spins B.I have the cdt baisc package with cdt subs and despite what I have been told on this site I agree with caprico.They need more power.Let me guess.At higher volums the speakers sound like poop right?Yep.I'm right there with you Dude.I Put my entire stock system back in.Radio,speakers and all and although at lower volums...yes the cdts sounded great.Now going down the road I can again crank it up.I too am not into installing an amp.Those days are done for me.Been there done that.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vettedoc
Spins B.I have the cdt baisc package with cdt subs and despite what I have been told on this site I agree with caprico.They need more power.Let me guess.At higher volums the speakers sound like poop right?Yep.I'm right there with you Dude.I Put my entire stock system back in.Radio,speakers and all and although at lower volums...yes the cdts sounded great.Now going down the road I can again crank it up.I too am not into installing an amp.Those days are done for me.Been there done that.
LOL been there done that is correct. Amp sub is just added weight and right now Im in to horse power and going fast. Just wanted a little touch over what stock was. Gues this cdt stuff will have todo. Gonna put the stock HU back in and see. Again not a stereo dude but the stock HU what controls on the stock EQ does what.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Base Bass who cares. Sorry im not being gramerly correct here. Its car stuff guys come on.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I put the stock HU back in and the speakers have a little more kick to them. Not sure if the after market HU was doing any good or not allowing the stock amp todo its things. Anyways as weird as this seems I like it better with the stock HU. It works for me.

Quick Reply: Kee Audio Customer: low on base??