Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 Monsoon Sail panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Monsoon Sail panel speakers

This is for a 10 speaker Monsoon system in my 99 T/A.
I have read up a bunch of info regarding the 4 wire connections to the woofers in the sail panels.
One of mine is busted and was thinking about replacing with aftermarket speakers.
One post said to only use one set of wires and tape up the other pair. With power still being pushed to the taped pair and not having the proper load (resistance), wouldn't that eventually damage the power amp?
Wouldn't it be better to install a 4ohm resister on that line, rather than just tape it up?
I'm going to the Trans Am Grand Nationals this weekend, in hopes to find a replacement OEM at the trade show.

I read the FAQ on Monsoon, but didn't quite see this addressed.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS6Indy
One post said to only use one set of wires and tape up the other pair. With power still being pushed to the taped pair and not having the proper load (resistance), wouldn't that eventually damage the power amp?
This is not good advice.

Several of our sponsors sell direct fit DVC speakers that you can put in as a replacement. Here's the one I went with:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info...
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

The thing with using one half of the dual system is that you'll end up with half of the power/performance. There are some great inexpensive DVC options out there that will give you the full performance of what the stock system will deliver, so IMO - rigging up a work-around for a standard speaker doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS6Indy
Wouldn't it be better to install a 4ohm resister on that line, rather than just tape it up?
Power does not get "pushed" to a speaker (or any device)... power gets drawn by the device from the source (amp) as needed. When you leave the second pair of wires disconnected (DO NOT short them together), they draw no power and have absolutely no effect on the amp.

wssix99 is correct - you lose half your available power by doing that and there are good options for DVC replacement subs available.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People get confused on this issue because with a DVC you can drive the coils in series, parallel, or independently. The first two treat the DVC as a single load to be driven by a single amp channel. The last treats the coils separately and requires two amp channels.

Camaro monsoon systems have the same number of amp channels as Firebirds, but allocate them differently. Camaros use only one channel to drive an SVC midbass in the sails, while Firebirds use two.

when you only wire up one coil on a DVC, the unused coil just lies dead. From the manufacturer, the two coils do not touch and are not linked in any way. There is no need to apply a "matching" resistor, and even if there was, you'd need to apply a matching AC impedance, not just a simple resistor.

If you do chose to drive the coils independently with an aftermarket amp, you need to be sure the coils are getting exactly the same input from amp channels that are exactly matched in output. The firebird monsoon system does this automatically.

Quick Reply: 99 Monsoon Sail panel speakers