Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install

Me and SDB_FTW( a member at corvetteforum) will be the first ones, that we know, to install a custom android tablet based car stereo system on a C6 vette. Mine will just be basic setup powering up the stock speakers.

Here is my parts:
Nexus 7 tablet
Bybyte QUAD-7850 amp to power corvette speakers
Double DIN metra adapter.
Dual RCA Male to Single Right Angle 1/8" Stereo RCA to 1/8 Cable
USB A to MicroUSB B Cable
Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet ( to create a cig lighter socket to power the tablet)

Progress so far: I have fitted the tablet onto the double DIN. I am awaiting the amp to arrive tomorrow.

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install-v8dmhl.jpg

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install-v310gl.jpg

To hold the tablet so that it doesnt fall back, I found this piece of wire on my backyard lol

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install-wzy4ml.jpg

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install-hsbowl.jpg

Ill keep posting progress.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Nice keep us updated
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Love it!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad ***!!! Props!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Badass!! but i have a quick question, and it may be a dumb one, but i'll ask anyways. How do the speakers work off this setup?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nick.celis
Badass!! but i have a quick question, and it may be a dumb one, but i'll ask anyways. How do the speakers work off this setup?
The 3.5mm to dual rca's cable go from the headphone jack of the tablet to the inputs of the mini amp. Then on the amp, you can hook up all of the speakers from the stereo wiring harness. So basically this amp will sit behind the tablet, in the dashboard:

Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

wow!!! that is BADASS!!!! makes me want to do that on my 99 SS lol
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

SO many options with a tab thier. Could tether and stream music, navigation, list goes on and on. that is SICK!! will definatley follow this
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nick.celis
SO many options with a tab thier. Could tether and stream music, navigation, list goes on and on. that is SICK!! will definatley follow this
Yea so many features, possibilities are almost endless, I will be tethering my phone to get pandora and winamp streaming music. I got a nice background I will be using:

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install-esv0pl.jpg
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

sweet!!! Where did you get the amp to do that? and is it for a C6 only or can it be used on an FBODY? If from non sponsor, shoot me a pm plz!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested in this. I always thought it'd be cool to have a car PC...I'd like to run Zune software because it has an awesome interface when left streaming, but I could do Android. Subbed.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi you dont need that amp for a c6 if you utilize the factory amp
Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Very interesting as I was looking for some kind of in-dash navigation player myself. I have a few questions for you though:

1. Doesn't it have buttons on the side that need to be pressed for certain functions?
2. How would you charge it?
3. Does it have a quick access route so that you can take it out when parked?
4. With built-in WIFI, how much is it per month for internet access?
5. AUX input? In case I want to connect my phone.
6. What else can it do?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Very interesting as I was looking for some kind of in-dash navigation player myself. I have a few questions for you though:

1. Doesn't it have buttons on the side that need to be pressed for certain functions?
2. How would you charge it?
3. Does it have a quick access route so that you can take it out when parked?
4. With built-in WIFI, how much is it per month for internet access?
5. AUX input? In case I want to connect my phone.
6. What else can it do?
I can answer a few of these from the previous post.
2. He is going to run it off the car through a cigarette liter sort of.
4. He is going to tether off of his phone so no charge beyond his phone charges.
6. If you have ever used a tablet you will see if can do just about anything. From online surfing, google maps/navigation, music, games, etc. The uses are nearly limitless and he has access to the App store for more things.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
I can answer a few of these from the previous post.
2. He is going to run it off the car through a cigarette liter sort of.
4. He is going to tether off of his phone so no charge beyond his phone charges.
6. If you have ever used a tablet you will see if can do just about anything. From online surfing, google maps/navigation, music, games, etc. The uses are nearly limitless and he has access to the App store for more things.
Here is the rest:

1. There is an app called Tasker, It will be used to perform specific actions when the car is turned on/off: turns on the display, shuts off display automatically, ), as well as much more.

3. Depending on the car you are installing this to. Some people on other types of car can mod their dashboards so that they can take it out easily. I just didnt want to hack apart my vette dash. So this means that its permanent.

5. No Aux, you can tether with WIFI or bluetooth.. no need for aux in my opinion. Plus you have 16gigs or more of storage available depending on the tablet.

There is many music player apps out there that run full screen. SO there is many choices of the stuff you can do.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that is friggin sweet!
I'm building something similar, don't have a tablet yet.

I ended up using a 4 channel amp that is 4" x 2" x 1'' so its small enough to sit in the trunk, but the amp you have is freggin sweet!

how does it sound?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blazinblue
Here is the rest:

1. There is an app called Tasker, It will be used to perform specific actions when the car is turned on/off: turns on the display, shuts off display automatically, ), as well as much more.

3. Depending on the car you are installing this to. Some people on other types of car can mod their dashboards so that they can take it out easily. I just didnt want to hack apart my vette dash. So this means that its permanent.

5. No Aux, you can tether with WIFI or bluetooth.. no need for aux in my opinion. Plus you have 16gigs or more of storage available depending on the tablet.

There is many music player apps out there that run full screen. SO there is many choices of the stuff you can do.
couldnt agree more!! why would you need an aux input when you can bluetooth? and i sub'd to this! cant wait to see it finished! I'll be doing this mod once im done with my turbo build!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

I was considering this before doing a double din.. Just didnt really have much time to do fabbing for a bezel etc.

I was going to more or less hard-wire a car charger to the tablet (with no battery) , and have it pull power from the factory harness, so that it still retains all RAP properties etc..

edit: Nice to see someone else here is into custom roms.. I noticed the AOKP bg..

Last edited by bill12690; 09-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've been brainstorming something fairly similar to a build like this for my 02 TA for a few years now (definitely different than how this ones being setup though). Been waiting on the "perfect" tab to come out (for what I'm wanting it to do) and I believe I've found one that fits all of what i want. Been a little preoccupied with other priorities unfortunately to have any progress with it other than ideas in my head but hopefully it wont be too much longer before i get to jump into a project like this.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Turns out that I wont be using the Bybyte amp because I found out that the vette already has an integrated internal amp. So if anyone wants to buy it, shoot me an offer through PM, it is basically new , just used while I was testing.

Quick Reply: C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install