Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Connectors

I'm trying to find a wiring harness for cd players that has connectors on both ends and not the connector on one end and the other end has the naked wires where you have to splice them in to the car to make it work like you would get from Wal-Mart. I have them in my car but got them at Circuit City when they were once a store but since they have become an only online store, I don't think they have them any more or at least I don't see them on there sight and can't find them with Google and I need them to hook up a CD player for my fiance in her car. If I can get a picture of what I'm talking about, I will tomorrow but can't right now.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I think only Circuit City had those.

BTW, Circuit City Online has nothing to do with Circuit City the Store. It is now another face for Tiger Direct. That is what they do. They buy out store brands & domains that die out. Look at the mailing address at the bottom of the page. It is the same place.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIP1
I think only Circuit City had those.

BTW, Circuit City Online has nothing to do with Circuit City the Store. It is now another face for Tiger Direct. That is what they do. They buy out store brands & domains that die out. Look at the mailing address at the bottom of the page. It is the same place.
Oh, okay. I didn't know that but you learn something new everyday, haha. But I guess the search still continues or I'll just have to settle with the ones like Wal-Mart sells.

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Sometimes you can find that type of discontinued item on ebay.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sometimes you can find that type of discontinued item on ebay.
You know, after about 2-3 months of looking off and on, I haven't even thought of eBay, haha. I'll give them a look and see what I can find. Who sells a flush mount install kit so it doesn't stick out as much as the Wal-Mart kits?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Bump for the day.

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Circuit City used to use Metra Online dealer to source their wire connector and component install kits, I'd try going directly to their web site, then look at there authorized venders to narrow it down. It's been well over ten years since I had a job there, so I am not sure if those type of connectors are still manufactured by Metra, but it's worth a shot also.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm confused as to what you're looking for. There are the Metra adapter pigtails that are the mating connector to the car side connector with the wires on it. Those are the only ones I'm aware of.

They come this way to splice (butt or solder) to the new Headunit Harness because every headunit manufacturer has a different (proprietary) connector that they use.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, sorry for the confusion for some, I don't think I was all to clear in my posts but here are pics of what I have in my car and want for my fiances car as well but I can not find them any where...

The connectors...

Them connected together...

Connected to the car's harness without any splicing...

Hope this helps out a little better than be just telling it without the pics. What I'm after is the CD player harness/car harness that has dual connectors and not a single connector on one end with naked wires on the other end. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, I'll bite... why is that so important? Yes, it's nice to just plug into the aftermarket radio as well as the factory harness but those things were really made to keep Circuit City's own inexperienced installers from screwing up. And they've been out of production for so long that there probably isn't one with the connector to match recent aftermarket head units. Nobody makes them now because they'd have to make one for every combination of car model and every brand of aftermarket head unit - sometimes several different connectors for different models within one brand. It's easier and cheaper to just make the car end so that it will work with the wiring included with the HU.

The aftermarket HU includes a plug-in harness having pigtails that are colored specifically to match the pigtails on the standard Metra harness adapters. So you match the wires color for color, solder and shrink wrap them (or use crimp connectors if you must) and you have a plug-in harness with no splicing of the factory wiring.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like stated, those were a time-saver, screw-up preventive for Circuit City dime-a-dozen installers.

Those AFAIK are beyond out of production, and not needed. Get the Metra one for your car; use the harness that comes with your new HU; some Solder, heatshrink, and do it the right way. Worst case, just use the blue or red butt-connectors. (Edit - I'll second exactly what Whitebird00 said!!!!)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Okay, I'll bite... why is that so important? Yes, it's nice to just plug into the aftermarket radio as well as the factory harness but those things were really made to keep Circuit City's own inexperienced installers from screwing up. And they've been out of production for so long that there probably isn't one with the connector to match recent aftermarket head units. Nobody makes them now because they'd have to make one for every combination of car model and every brand of aftermarket head unit - sometimes several different connectors for different models within one brand. It's easier and cheaper to just make the car end so that it will work with the wiring included with the HU.

The aftermarket HU includes a plug-in harness having pigtails that are colored specifically to match the pigtails on the standard Metra harness adapters. So you match the wires color for color, solder and shrink wrap them (or use crimp connectors if you must) and you have a plug-in harness with no splicing of the factory wiring.
Because I try and simplify things like this. It's not like I won't use the other connectors but I haven't seen them mentioned on here before and thought I would ask, this is Tech right? I came and asked about something and tried to shed light onto something that I haven't seen on here whether or not there still made which falls right back to my question? This is Tech right? If not, by all means I apologize. I've only used these connectors twice, once on my first car and second on my Camaro and I bought these several years ago and haven't had the need for them until my fiance wanted to swap out her CD for a new one.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, this is tech... no need to get your panties in a wad. We're just pointing out that they aren't manufactured anymore, why they aren't made anymore, that they may or may not still be available on auction sites like ebay or craigslist, but that they are not necessary since the same capability can be put together using a Metra style harness adapter and a little time.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

I think the plugs are a good idea, although not a very profitable one for the reasons you mentioned above. What I liked about the particular plugs he is mentioning is that it was easy to undo. When and if you decide to sell the car, I always put the stock unit back in if it worked, that way it appealed to more buyers. Some people do not like change, and something as simple as that turns off buyers. I have seen great installers, and very bad installers come and go while I worked in Televisions back when (how the hell did you not check clearance and drill into a gas tank? was a fave of mine), but as a whole that company sunk itself on customer service and the interwebs. Installing a radio by soldering and or crimping wires together is pretty basic, but those intimidated by electronics will screw it up occasionally, making the connectors a dream for those persons. Are the cheesey and easy, yes, but resolving time and headaches were worth it to some. OP don't get offended or discouraged, search on, and if not whitebird is a resident guru for audio particular to F-bodies and GM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyc
I think the plugs are a good idea, although not a very profitable one for the reasons you mentioned above. What I liked about the particular plugs he is mentioning is that it was easy to undo. When and if you decide to sell the car, I always put the stock unit back in if it worked, that way it appealed to more buyers. Some people do not like change, and something as simple as that turns off buyers.
That was my point... although the premade adapters aren't made anymore, when you combine the plug-in harness that comes with the head unit with a Metra style adapter harness, you end up with a harness that plugs into the HU and the factory wiring without modifying or damaging them in any way. In essence, you end up with a harness just like the posted photo except it has your own connections in place of the white connector in the photo.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyc
I think the plugs are a good idea, although not a very profitable one for the reasons you mentioned above. What I liked about the particular plugs he is mentioning is that it was easy to undo. When and if you decide to sell the car, I always put the stock unit back in if it worked, that way it appealed to more buyers. Some people do not like change, and something as simple as that turns off buyers. I have seen great installers, and very bad installers come and go while I worked in Televisions back when (how the hell did you not check clearance and drill into a gas tank? was a fave of mine), but as a whole that company sunk itself on customer service and the interwebs. Installing a radio by soldering and or crimping wires together is pretty basic, but those intimidated by electronics will screw it up occasionally, making the connectors a dream for those persons. Are the cheesey and easy, yes, but resolving time and headaches were worth it to some. OP don't get offended or discouraged, search on, and if not whitebird is a resident guru for audio particular to F-bodies and GM.
I'm not discouraged at the least, I just thought that since I haven't seen them around anymore and I haven't heard anyone talk about them on here, I would at least try.

To lighten the subject, I have emailed Metra Online and from the email, the guy I emailed seem certain that they still have and carry the connectors that I posted up but would have to look to see if the CD player that's going in my fiances car isn't to new that they either haven't made a connector or don't have one in stock.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My main reasoning for wanting to do the splicing is
1.) Less wires stuff behind my head unit. With bluetooth, gps, traffic tuner, video inputs, audio inputs, steering wheel controls, etc etc...I don't want anymore wires back there.

2.) Its cheaper to just splice them. Maybe not a lot cheaper, but its definitely faster than waiting on extra harnesses.

I know thats not what the OP wants, just looking at it from the other side of the fence

Quick Reply: Connectors