Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing a Pioneer x940bt need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all,

The only other electrical work i have done on my car is new speakers and some aftermarket fog light HID's. So my knowledge is amateur and that's me being generous. I recently purchased a new double din stereo and am eager to put it in myself because its cost effective and the more i learn about my car the better. Here is my questions, thank you all for any help or suggestions.

In the pictures you will see the GM adapter harness (white tip) I got from Double Din Mods and the harness that came with the Pioneer head unit (black tip). I was wondering if there is some write up or links, I did some searching and did not find much about the wires and more about the mounting. Is this a simple match the colors and crimp, or are their other wires on the either harness that I do not need and they just get taped off. Also the large green parking break one can that one be bypassed?

Also our cars our old and tricky sometimes so is there any other things that needs to be done when attaching an aftermarket HU, such as new fuses or stronger battery etc.. I also purchased a metra steering wheel control adapter but i believe I found a good write up on it .

thank you again

sorry having some issue with the pics dont know why, will try to fix

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-08-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part on the connectors it is just color matching and crimping.
Here's my z130 install thread, let me know if you have any questions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...pic-heavy.html
You shouldn't need any extra fuses or battery, mine's been fine. Are you going to be running any kind of aftermarket amp/subs etc?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

thanks so much, I will be using stock subs and maybe an aftermarket amp down the road but not now

On the pioneer harness there are two wires i do not know what to do with its a pink one that is labeled "car speed signal input" and one purple labeled "reverse gear signal input" are they used or just taped off. I will be adding a reverse camera if that matters for the purple one.

Also on the gm adapter i have a solid blue and a solid orange left over, I know the solid blue is for the power antenna and i can connect it to the system remote control blue/white on the pioneer harness but i will be attaching that blue and white stripe wire to my aswc steering wheel control adapter, so do i just leave the solid blue and solid orange on the GM harness adapter taped off
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you can just tape off the pink and purple wires... on the factory side, your completely correct about the blue wire. In my post I re-pinned it and used it for the steering wheel controls, not sure if yours will need it or not. Later I added an aftermarket amp and sub.
Orange wire is for the dimmer on the HU, when your lights are on. Don't remember if mine was connected or not, but it isn't required and can be taped off. In my install thread there is an orange wire that I taped off, I'm about 99% sure that's the one in question.

Just double check, your steering wheel interface should need to be connected on the factory side (unless for some reason its totally different than the PAC) The blue with white stripe sounds like the one coming from the pioneer side, if that's the one your talking about I don't think its the right one. I know my PAC required tapping into the dark blue wire on the factory side.

Edit: Here's metras install instructions:
http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/10922.pdf

It says to tap into pin 14 of the factory harness. Check post 12 in my thread, and it matches perfectly with my install

Last edited by bill12690; 10-07-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

If you are adding a backup camera you will have to connect the purple wire to your backup light circuit so that the head unit knows when to activate the camera display.

The pink wire is used to make the navigation system more accurate and to allow the navigation to calculate position even when satellite signal is lost. The corresponding factory wire is dark green with white stripe but it is only available in Camaros because they had speed controlled volume that wasn't available in Firebirds.

The solid blue in the harness adapter is used for power antenna control and should match up with the pink wire in the factory harness of power antenna equipped vehicles. Otherwise it is left unused.

The orange wire is used for panel illumination dimmer power but very few aftermarket head units actually use it. Instead, they use the orange with white stripe wire which is a simple lights on/off power source and then dim their display based on their own settings rather than on the factory dimmer switch.

The dark blue wire used for the steering wheel controls is in the factory wiring harness and is not duplicated in the wiring harness adapters.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Where is the back up light circuit

Can I clip the dark blue wire that is not duplicated in the wiring harness so I can attach it to my ASwC steering wheel control cable

Last edited by Iceman85; 10-08-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unless you want to go under the car to the backup light switch (manual trans) or neutral safety switch (automatic trans), the best place is at the backup lights themselves.

You should not cut the factory dark blue steering wheel control wire. An elegant solution is what bill12690 did - pull an unused wire in the adapter harness (such as the aforementioned orange wire) and reposition it in the connector to match up with the position of the dark blue wire from the factory harness. Alternatively, you can use a ScotchLock connector to tap into the dark blue wire without cutting it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks so much

The Aswc steering wheel remote has a black ground and a red wire that need to be attached, can I attach the black with the black ground from the pioneer harness that needs to be clamped with the black on the gm adapter all on the same crimp cap. Same with the red from the ASIC and the pioneer harness and the gm adapter no I wont be crimping any red with black. Just want to know if I can crimp them in bunches together by color.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, you may put your power connections together and your ground connections together because none of them take much current so you won't be overloading anything.

Quick Reply: installing a Pioneer x940bt need help