Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up

Couldn't find anything on people mounting amps stealthly without drilling, so here is a write up with some pics for anyone looking to mount their amp on the hatch area behind the back seat (Or practically anywhere else) without drilling or just for temporary use. I ran out to Walmart and in the arts and craft section I picked up some high strength velcro straps for about $8.30. You'll have two different types of straps (obviously). Take any side (doesn't matter which) of the Velcro and try to cover the bottom of your amp nicely without covering the air vents or you'll burn your amp. Then once you get a nice layer of coverage going it's time to get in the back of the car. Cut a strip of the opposite strap and match up the size to that on the amp and try to center it on the hatch. The back of the strap have plastic that peels off like tape and you apply the strap down. Then add more to match the pattern of your amp, apply and then press your amp down to the right position, and you're done! I like the look of it and not having to drill or anything, my amp never moves around and is nicely secured, hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-1.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-2.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-3.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-4.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-5.jpg  

Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-6.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-7.jpg   Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-8.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Not a bad idea, but atleast in my situation I haven't had to do anything at all to keep my amp in place, no velcro, no screws or anything, the carpet just holds it in place.

Side note, the designer of your amp should be fired, who puts air vents on the one side guaranteed to have the crappiest air flow.
Attached Thumbnails Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up-img_20130415_151404_442.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get not wanting to drill holes, but the idea is to plan for the worst case scenario, which would be getting in an accident...the last thing you want is an amplifier that decided it would rather be a missile than stay put. You may never get in an accident, but an amplifier is not light, and is the last thing I'd want flying toward me or my passenger when someone's grandmother decides they want to pull out in front of me during their once a month outing to Wal-Mart.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

I simply used the mounting feet on my amps. Except I made 2 small slits in the carpet by each foot and then fed a zip tie thru them and cut the zip ties to length. Clean wit no drilling and leaves no evidence of being there once removed
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good write up and also +1 to what MeentSS02 said.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I get not wanting to drill holes, but the idea is to plan for the worst case scenario, which would be getting in an accident...the last thing you want is an amplifier that decided it would rather be a missile than stay put. You may never get in an accident, but an amplifier is not light, and is the last thing I'd want flying toward me or my passenger when someone's grandmother decides they want to pull out in front of me during their once a month outing to Wal-Mart.
I can agree with your concern, definitely. The Velcro attached pretty dang good to the carpet and amp, I actually had to rotate the amp 180 degrees to redo my wiring and I had to wrestle it pretty good to get it off. Plus the sub enclosure is right on my backseat. The odds of the amp detatching itself from the Velcro, all the wiring, over the sub box, and around the back of my seat and hitting me or anything else is pretty slim. If I hit something hard enough to dislodge the amp, I'm pretty sure the amp is the least of my worries lol
Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Not a bad idea, but atleast in my situation I haven't had to do anything at all to keep my amp in place, no velcro, no screws or anything, the carpet just holds it in place.

Side note, the designer of your amp should be fired, who puts air vents on the one side guaranteed to have the crappiest air flow.
lol That's what I was thinking. It's a cheap Motorjoy amp I got for free. I pulled it out of a car that my dad's towing company was sending to the scrapper. Has 4 tiny led lights that give the hatch area a nice blue glow. Can't argue with free
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chevyman5436
I can agree with your concern, definitely. The Velcro attached pretty dang good to the carpet and amp, I actually had to rotate the amp 180 degrees to redo my wiring and I had to wrestle it pretty good to get it off. Plus the sub enclosure is right on my backseat. The odds of the amp detatching itself from the Velcro, all the wiring, over the sub box, and around the back of my seat and hitting me or anything else is pretty slim. If I hit something hard enough to dislodge the amp, I'm pretty sure the amp is the least of my worries lol
I really don't think it would take much to dislodge the amp. Hell, a 30 mph head on can cause some pretty good wreckage.

Why not just tie the amp into the safety restraints for the child seats on the rear hump? I don't remember what years had that option, so maybe yours doesn't. But, a couple of steel strips and sheet metal screws would be just fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
I really don't think it would take much to dislodge the amp. Hell, a 30 mph head on can cause some pretty good wreckage.

Why not just tie the amp into the safety restraints for the child seats on the rear hump? I don't remember what years had that option, so maybe yours doesn't. But, a couple of steel strips and sheet metal screws would be just fine.
those started on the 2000 models, so most of us don't have them.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

FWIW, I made this amp rack walkthrough back in 07:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lkthrough.html

Thanks,
J
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Those are some great ideas.....I used velcro on a wooden board under the carpet then attached the amps to the boards (short screws). you can see the amps but the boards being under the carpet hides them. That gave a nice clean look with stronger support.
Just an idea for my LS1tech budz

Quick Reply: Amp Mounting Without Drilling Write-Up