Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker wiring through rubber grommet

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door speaker wiring through rubber grommet

I have a 1994 Camaro, and I'm finally replacing the Bose speakers. (Already on my 3rd aftermarket head unit, now have a Pioneer DEH-X8500BH.) I added Rockford Fosgate P1675 (6.75") speakers in the sail panels & disconnected the rear sub (my car just had the 3 speaker system). I'm currently running the stock Bose speakers in the doors, but they tend to buzz at moderate-to-high volume so I just ordered Rockford Fosgate P165's to replace them with. I'll be adding a 4-channel amp in the near future as well, and maybe a 10" rear sub in the distant future if I think I need one.

Anyway, my question is - are there any tricks to running new wires through the rubber "grommets" on the doors? Or do they slide through fairly easily? I'm planning on just running new wire, I don't intend to use the Bose wiring.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I used an old school metal coat hanger and bent 1 end back onto itself and lopped the wire through that end then taped it. I then carefully worked the coat hanger through.

You will have the curve the end of the coat hanger (maybe last 4 inches about 30 or 40 degrees to get it through the door grommet. The hanger got caught about half way through on the drivers door and I had to squeeze and coax the grommet to get the hanger unstuck from the ribs.

Or if you don't care about the factory wiring. You can tie the old wire to the end of the factory speaker wire (after cutting the plug off) and then pull the old wire from the kick panel side and it will pull your new wire from the door side through the door grommet and into the car. This is the easiest way.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Both great ideas, thanks! I may just use the factory wire to pull it through - at almost 20 years old, I don't foresee myself or any future owners going back to the original setup!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^^^^^ don't know what this guy is on about, pull the plastic kick panel out, remove the door panel and the speaker mounting plate and you can reach clean trough, there are no obstructions on either end (like some cars that have a harness plug that has to be drilled out). I was actually surprised just how easy it is on this car, or atleast thats how it is on my 99 bird. you can literally reach a finger or 2 thru each side and touch them, so feeding should be easy.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

^ If the door is closed, the grommet/conduit shortens up and makes this easier vs. when the door is open and it elongates.

You'll definitely need to take out the kick panel and may need to remove some electrical tape. You may find the bundle of wires taped to the gromet/conduit behind the kick panel, which makes it hard to remove old wires or add new ones.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

I was lucky enough to find a foot long length of small gauge pvc pipe laying around in my garage when I was wiring up my system. Slid that thing through the grommet going in from the door into the cabin and then slid the wires through it. Still had to do some contortionist reaching with my fingers due to some of the stuff in the way but without it I wouldn't not have been able to get my wires ran through the grommet as easily. I don't see how the coat hanger guys did it (Kudos to you guys) but with as much pushing with the PVC that I had to do to get it to go through, I can imagine the coat hangers not being rigid enough to get the job done. Just another alternative for ya in case you need something else to try.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

I used dementia's suggestion, bought a 3/8" pvc at Home Depot for less than $2. I'm glad I did, it was the only way that would have worked. All the the wired were taped very tightly together all the way through, there was no way I was getting that apart. And Daniel, the 94 Camaro is drastically different than your 99 Bird! Especially the driver's side - there is a hard rubber panel that is fastened every which way behind the plastic kick panel. I finally ended up slicing a slit in it just so I could reach a couple of fingers in there to finally pull the wire through. The driver's side took me 1/2 hour or more, but the passenger side was much easier and not as restricted, only took about 5 minutes. I'll post some pics of the project, not that it's really all that interesting, but just because it's fun to share.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Glad that worked out for you too. After I did it I was shocked that people were able to get the coat hanger method to work. +2 on that black plastic piece being bolted down like someone went to town with the extra bolts/fasteners they had at the factory on this one piece. Mine had a slit in it from what I remember that I was able to flex part of it out of the way enough to barely get my fingers in enough to reach the wires. Glad I wont be doing that again anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Door speaker wiring through rubber grommet