Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing interior on a 98 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing interior on a 98 ws6

I don't like the charcoal/grayish color that the stock 98 bodies came with so I'm replacing it with a ebony/black carpet. Now that i have the carpet off, i thought it would be a good idea of adding sound deadener. The previous owner added a small sub and amp in the trunk but i hardly ever play my music loud. Im doing it mostly cis I'm going duals soon.

My question is will sound deadener increase the temperature inside the cabin. I live in the dessert and it gets really really hot in the summer. Id rather live with the sound than add heat inside the car.

I was reading about some deadeners having some sort of asphalt glue and that makes them hotter. Any experiences with this? Is there some sort of deadener that won't drip or increase temps?

Thanks

Im also going to be painting the interior plastics with SEM paint to match the black. Might have some parts hydrodipped to give it a carbon fiber look too. Ill post pics as i do this.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-19-2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well many deaderners also act as temperature insulators. If you want the good stuff and can afford it, get Dynamat Xtreme. Light, no smell, not asphalt based and very good adhesion.

At about half the price of Dynamat, I personally went with FatMat Rattletrap XXX but I live in the Northwest so we don't usually see temps high enough to make asphalt-based deaderners want to peel off, even though it's been tested to hold at over 150*+.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

As far as interior plastics go, i couldn't find any SEM paint locally. I tried lowes, walmart, a bunch of auto stores including autozone and oreillys and had no luck. I ended up buying duplicolor vinyl & fabric. It says its good for dashboards and door panels. Anyone tried this before?

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Well many deaderners also act as temperature insulators. If you want the good stuff and can afford it, get Dynamat Xtreme. Light, no smell, not asphalt based and very good adhesion.

At about half the price of Dynamat, I personally went with FatMat Rattletrap XXX but I live in the Northwest so we don't usually see temps high enough to make asphalt-based deaderners want to peel off, even though it's been tested to hold at over 150*+.
thanks thats what i was looking for. Ill look into it. How would you compare dynamat xtreme with raammat? I was initially looking at buying raammat bxII due to its positive reviews, but id rather pay extra and avoid the extra heat when sumer comes.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at the dynamat you suggested and i found this by one of our sponsors.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dyc-10455/overview/

I bought 2 sets, so unless my math has failed me that should be about 72 squared feet.

Ive already removed the carpet and it should take about 2-3 days to get here from summit.

That should give me enough time to paint the interior plastics.

Last edited by Zlow28; 11-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice, remember to vacuum and clean the bare chassis before applying anything.

72 won't be enough to cover EVERYTHING, so cover the trouble spots:

-Doors, cover it all
-Rear hatch
-Cabin area if you have some left.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

yeah hopefully il have some time to clean it all up tomorrow. Ill make sure i cover the parts you mentioned. Does using a heat gun help when installing the deadening mats?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

So i went ahead and painted most of the plastics inside. I used duplicolor spray paint and gave it 3 coats between sanding. I read a lot of people voting against this, but i think it came out much better than i expected.

Is there a protective spray that i can use to keep the paint from rubbing off? or protecting it?
As i mentioned before, our summer gets really hot and i just want to make sure it doesnt rub off on those hot days.

I want to avoid gloss, so i was thinking of a clear satin protective coat.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"rubbing off" has NOTHING to do with what you put on top of of the spray paint, it's all about the prep work you did underneath the spray paint to get it to adhere to the plastic in the first place.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

I cleaned them up and sanded them down pretty good, so i should be good. What about the heat, is there something i can use to protect the paint?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

looks good.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks!

I ended up not using any type of clear or protective coat. I was talking with a local guy who has used this stuff and after 3 years, it still hasnt been damaged by the sun or heat. Im just waiting for the UPS truck so i can start applying the deadener mats.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Teching In

which deadner?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EuroGeorge
which deadner?
I ended up going with dynamat Xtreme.

Its heavier than i imagined. It got here last night, but it was already dark, so i didnt get a chance to install it, and this morning it started raining. And according to the weather forecast, its going to keep raining alll day
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

How much does each box weight? & was the cost per box? I thought about doing the same to my pontiac vibe with dynamat on the floor boards & doors, the camaro im not too worried about since I love the loud sound.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know exactly how much the box weighs, but id like to say its about 15lbs per box.

Summit is having a sale on them, theyre about $140 per box of 36'^2. I got 2 boxes plus the installation roller which is around 10 bucks. Big thumbs up to summit racing for working with me with shipping.

I put the link in post #4. I think its a pretty good deal, but im not sure how long its gonna last.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

we got a few hours of sunlight so i got started. ill try to finish it tomorrow if we get good weather.

Its pretty easy to work with, but it just takes time to work the details. The roller really helps.

Once i get this installed, what type of adhesive should i use to install the carpet?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Teching In

looks good man. thinking about doing the same thing to my bird. looking forward to seeing more pictures. I don't like my gray interior either.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

A little tip if you haven't figured it out yourself, the rounded end of the handle is much better at getting the stuff into some of the grooves (like on the flat spot over the gas tank/rear axle) then the roller.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spahny72
looks good man. thinking about doing the same thing to my bird. looking forward to seeing more pictures. I don't like my gray interior either.
Thanks, ill add more pics when the rest is installed. As you can see by one of the earlier pics, my interior was/is in pretty bad shape, so i took the opportunity to redo it instead. Hopefully it comes out nice when its all finished. Ill eventually have to change seats and headliner to match the new black interior. I bet its gonna look like crap with the two colors mixed lol.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
A little tip if you haven't figured it out yourself, the rounded end of the handle is much better at getting the stuff into some of the grooves (like on the flat spot over the gas tank/rear axle) then the roller.
Ill give that a try today. I was using the other side of a screwdriver for those, but your idea sounds better. We got better weather today, so ill try and finish this today.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I think I used my handle more than the roller itself

Quick Reply: Replacing interior on a 98 ws6