Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audiopipe mystery speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Audiopipe mystery speakers.

So I've been reading trying to find decent replacement speakers for the sail panels in my Camaro and came across the Audiopipe/Bazooka comparison thread. I know about the speaker's issues and am willing to risk them but here is the issue:

EVERYWHERE I look it seems the speaker listed in that comparison thread is a 6" speaker, eventhough I found a thread where the guy from Kee states it is a 6.5 inch. I even found a thread where a guy was trying to figure out the same thing I am now. So my question is have the original 6.5 inch Audiopipe's from that comparison thread been discontinued or are they actually just 6" speakers? If they were discontinued, could I use the 6" without fitment/sound issues?

My ultimate goal is to find direct replacements for the sail panel speakers without having to spend over 100$ to do it, if that's even damn possible.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...omparison.html

This is the thread I am referencing. Any Audiopipe speaker I find that looks like that in the front is listed as 6 inches, not 6.5. Is this because its discontinued or what?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

There's a thread that discusses this somewhere, but I don't recall how to find it. If my memory serves me, the advertized size doesn't match up to the actual physical size. (I also recall that my Bazookas are slightly larger than 6.5")

Here's a thread showing my Bazooka install. I don't think it will get any more plug-and-play than this. I think I remember that the AudioPipe speakers install similarly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You'll find the answer in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/1412870-audiopipe-tsvr6.html.

Also, the specs are available from Audiopipe in this PDF file: http://www.audiopipe.com/support/man...R_manual_e.pdf

I installed these speakers in my car and they fit and performed very well. And no, there isn't a new version and an old version - there was only one version of that model speaker.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-25-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I keep seeing the Audiopipe subs being brought up, thought I would chime in.
I found the Audiopipes many years ago not long after I found the Bazooka subs and brought those to the F-Body market. At that time we were all looking for a decent 6.5" DVC sub for the sail panels in our cars that you didn't need spacers and cutting to get them in. I found the Bazookas in the back of one of my suppliers warehouses and they were replacement subs for the Bazooka tubes. They are very well built and use superior materials to the stock subs which just fall apart over time.
A few months after I found the Bazookas, Audiopipe started making one as well that I found through another supplier. These were the TS-V6 subs which are also a 6.5" DVC sub. The cool part about those were that they had screw down pos and neg leads so it was easier to install them. They also appeared to be well built with a large magnet and made from nice materials.
The problem with them showed later on in that they attached the pos and neg screw down leads to the spider which is the thing the cone attaches to. Nothing more then glue holds that onto the frame of the sub. They later came out with the new TS-VR6 version which on the larger models...8" and up used screws to hold the spider to the frame but chose not to do this on the 6.5" model. So, the bottom line is the spider would detach itself from the frame. I found this happened from both installation error by pushing too hard on the leads with a screw driver when putting the wires in and also happened for no reason at all as far as I could tell. A bunch of these kept coming back to me. It was a real design flaw in the subwoofer itself so I stopped carrying them as I don't carry product that doesn't hold up over the years. I still have several laying around here. I also have some other 6.5" DVC subs I tested that were ok but the Bazookas have always stood the test of time so IMO why carry something that was questionable when I already had a sub that worked. This was also the other reason I commissioned CDT to build the HD-6M DVC subs for me so that there would be a high end option that was superior in quality, sound, engineering and materials. I also had them made with gold, spring loaded terminals for ease of installation and made sure that the holes line up like stock so the stock speed nuts can be used. I put alot of thought and effort along with CDT to have those made.

Here are a few pics of the TS-V6 and the later model TS-VR6 I shot a few minutes ago so you can see how they come loose. These have been sitting around for years. They both did the same thing and used the same frame, magnet, voice coil, etc. Only the surround was different and was extended on the newer version but the same spider would come loose.
TS-VR6 on the left, TS-V6 on the right:

This is where they would come loose. The spider had a plastic ring and was glued to the frame:

Hopefully that helps explain the mystery behind them. I had enough of them come back with all the same issue that it wasn't worth carrying them anymore. That's generally not something I would want in my car. Fortunately a few held up like Whitebird's but I was replacing them left and right for other customers that had problems with them.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Hey Ian, haven't seen you around here in a while... welcome back!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Hey Ian, haven't seen you around here in a while... welcome back!
Hi brother! Nice to be seen. I have been around, just haven't had the time I used to to be as active on the boards as I wanted to be. I still answer tons of emails a day and am very active in the F-Body community.
In fact I will probably be getting yet another one, as soon as I get my 92 Typhoon back on the road again. I am itching for a cammed LS1 again. I have to get a new rear diff and transfer case in the Ty first though as my wife won't allow more then one "project" at a time.

Back on topic though for the OP, if anyone wanted a set of those Audiopipes, I have about 5 sets laying around I never sold. Still brand new and everything, I just can't warranty them but Audiopipe might as I am authorized to sell them. I would sell them for the cheap at $67.00 a set. Shoot me an email if you want a pair. I also have another cheapo 6.5" DVC sub I used a short time for testing purposes I never actually carried that were as good as the Audiopipes but didn't have the design flaw. Same price. Like I said, hit me up and I'd be glad to get some if you want them.

Quick Reply: Audiopipe mystery speakers.