Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo setup questions. Amp on speaker? Ohm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Stereo setup questions. Amp on speaker? Ohm?

For a 1998 transam convertible.

So according to sticky mine did not come with monsoon. Does that mean mine didn't come with factory am? If it did were would I see it.

Previously owner put a lot of audio stuff and rip it all out when he sold the car so it sounds like crap right now and looking to upgrade.

Set up questions.
Is the ohm only related to amps? So if mine didn't come with amp I wouldn't need to worry about that correct?

Second I plan on amp/sub setup.
But I'm also thinking of mini sub on the sail. Do I route it like a sub or is there a way to connect a rear speaker wire to an amp so it still function as a rear speaker but loud like a sub?

Basically how do I add an amp to a speaker.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, need some more info. Are you running the factory head unit or getting an aftermarket one?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by arctictwist
First, need some more info. Are you running the factory head unit or getting an aftermarket one?
im considering both. ive read that a good/expensive headunit makes the biggest difference in sound. but how about factory vs cheap 150 HU? can you make factory head unit sound good?

Im thinking
stock head unit plus
some cheap $20 pyle 6.5 dual voice coil run through a 4 channel amp.
the single 10" sub with its own amp.

that should be pretty good/ better than factory?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Teching In

a good head unit is going to produce cleaner sound. Honestly id save my money a buy a little better than that. You really dont have to spend a ton to have decent sound. The stock head unit doesnt put out the right signal for a sub. So unless your amp has hi-level (speaker level) inputs your going to need a converter to run the signal off a speaker line into your sub amp. Its not going to sound great. Plus your wasting money on the converter. A great way is to find clearance items on a site like sonic or something. Dont go to the crutch. Youll spend way more than you should. A decent pioneer single din on sonic is only 120, (deh-x6600bt, has two sets of preamp outputs if you wanted to amplify those 6.5s and the rear set is switchable to a sub output) after a quick look. Your not going to go to crazy on price with single dins with no video capabilities. a cheaper but good line of subs is sound solutions audio. They have multiple lines up to extreme competition level. I bought my amps slightly used you can go the same route, their forum is good for that. sundown audio is another one. i went crazy with my truck stereo and spent a ton of money, but you dont have to for decent sound.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

the pioneer 6600bt is a pretty good radio i picked one up at walmart for $150 last year it actually has 3 sets of pre amp outputs (RCA'S) one is a sub out and it gives really good sound for a lower end radio. it also has built in Bluetooth with audio streaming whitch i loved
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First, you might want to do a little reading on basic audio electronics to better understand the principles involved. For example, all speakers run off an amplified source. Even if you don't have an external amp like a Monsoon system, you still have an amp in the head unit - without it you would not be able to hear any output from the speakers. And yes, impedance (measured in ohms) matters to all audio systems. An amplifier (whether external or internal) sends electrical current to the speaker's voice coils to make them move and produce sound. The amplifier is designed with a lower limit of how little impedance it can work with (this is called it's "stable" impedance as in an amp might be "2-ohm stable"). Using speakers of lower impedance will cause excessive current to flow and damage the amp. You can always use higher impedance speakers (e.g. use 4-ohm speakers on a 2-ohm stable amp) because the amp won't be working as hard so it will run cooler but you will generally get less speaker volume.

There are many other factors involved so you could learn about them at www.bcae1.com or you could get someone knowledgeable to tell you which pieces would work well together. Don't go trying to design your own system without a thorough understanding of the factors involved.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by arctictwist
a good head unit is going to produce cleaner sound. Honestly id save my money a buy a little better than that. You really dont have to spend a ton to have decent sound. The stock head unit doesnt put out the right signal for a sub. So unless your amp has hi-level (speaker level) inputs your going to need a converter to run the signal off a speaker line into your sub amp. Its not going to sound great. Plus your wasting money on the converter. A great way is to find clearance items on a site like sonic or something. Dont go to the crutch. Youll spend way more than you should. A decent pioneer single din on sonic is only 120, (deh-x6600bt, has two sets of preamp outputs if you wanted to amplify those 6.5s and the rear set is switchable to a sub output) after a quick look. Your not going to go to crazy on price with single dins with no video capabilities. a cheaper but good line of subs is sound solutions audio. They have multiple lines up to extreme competition level. I bought my amps slightly used you can go the same route, their forum is good for that. sundown audio is another one. i went crazy with my truck stereo and spent a ton of money, but you dont have to for decent sound.
DO NOT buy from sonic electronix! They are grey market dealers so the things they sell do not come with any factory warranty and are not eligible for any rebates. Pioneer and Kenwood mention them specifically on their respective websites and warn that they will not provide support or warranty coverage for any of their products bought there.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Oh wow, i did not know that.

the point still stands, shop around.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-13-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Quick Reply: Stereo setup questions. Amp on speaker? Ohm?