Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 T/A horns not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 T/A horns not working?

I posted this in Vehicle Specific, no reply's so thought I would try here in case its a Chevy issue as well?
Anyone having issues with intermittent horn operation? I can hear the horn relay pull in and have verified 12 volts at the plug. The horns are wire grounded, so I bought 2 new ones (ac delco) thinking they were crapped, they worked for a bit and started acting up again? If I hold down on the horn or repeatedly cycle it, they with blow again but eventually stop! I was thinking maybe water but they are pointed down and above my intercooler, I don't see how it could even happen? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

More often than not, the source of intermittent horn operation is the contacts in the steering wheel switches. Do you get consistent horn function using the key fob to lock the doors? That bypasses the horn switches so would not be affected by bad contacts.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (06-21-2023)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The Firebird horn buttons are also a little particular. You need to hit the airbag cover right where the horn icon is molded in to the faux leather in order for solid contact to be made.

When I first got my car, I had issues with this until I changed things up. I went to one of Tiger Woods' swing coaches and totally changed things up for the better. I now give people the bird with a strong overhand motion (as opposed to an underhand, sneak-up-behind-the-door lob) which leaves me in prime position for a proper honk follow-through, slamming the upper corners of the air bag.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
More often than not, the source of intermittent horn operation is the contacts in the steering wheel switches. Do you get consistent horn function using the key fob to lock the doors? That bypasses the horn switches so would not be affected by bad contacts.
Actually no! That's how I know its not working, when I remote lock it the horn usually chirps? When I prompt the steering wheel, I can hear the horn replay clicking but no horns! My first thought was the wheel as well?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Well the next most common cause of intermittent horn problems (based on the fact that you've already checked the horns themselves) is the relay. Relays are mechanical devices (actually electromechanical) and they will eventually fail. Sometimes that failure is intermittent.

It's easy enough to replace the relay - it's in Junction Box #1 under the hood on the left fender well. That location does make it surprising that you could hear it from inside the car. The horn relay is the same part as the fog light relay so I would recommend swapping those two relays and see if the horn problems go away. If they do then the GM part number is 12088567 which is about $20 at the dealer but available as number RY601 online for less than $10.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Well the next most common cause of intermittent horn problems (based on the fact that you've already checked the horns themselves) is the relay. Relays are mechanical devices (actually electromechanical) and they will eventually fail. Sometimes that failure is intermittent.

It's easy enough to replace the relay - it's in Junction Box #1 under the hood on the left fender well. That location does make it surprising that you could hear it from inside the car. The horn relay is the same part as the fog light relay so I would recommend swapping those two relays and see if the horn problems go away. If they do then the GM part number is 12088567 which is about $20 at the dealer but available as number RY601 online for less than $10.
Agreed, I assumed with the relay clicking and me verifying 12vdc at the plug that the relay is good! However, maybe the contacts are not carrying the current required? Many thanks, I will swap the relay and hopefully that's it!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

my horns work but they sound like a Honda horn... high pitched and just sounds weird...

btw, I replaced the horn set with another set off another camaro and its the same deal.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Yep, same here! Brand new AC Delco? Guess the relay is next, it has to be the issue! I have has other relays fail as well, I think its either the relay, pin socket or both? I also wonder about the vibration? These f-body's have their quirks for sure!

Quick Reply: 2002 T/A horns not working?