Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blinkers Hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers Hesitating

01 Z28

Blinkers hesitate instead of blinking normally.

Just replaced all 8 bulbs in rear tail lights. Sanded, and scraped metal contacts before bulb replacement.
Cleaned front blinker bulb sockets as well.

Bulbs continue to do this after new rear bulbs, and cleaning contacts. When Hazards are turned on, they blink fine and normal. Only issue is when turn signals are used.

Any ideas?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If it's happening on both sides, it's probably the flasher. The turn signals and hazards use two separate flashers. You can get a new flasher at any auto parts store or even Walmart for just a couple of dollars.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Possibly clean up your grounds. The ground side of these circuits is half of the electron flow path. It matters little if you have new bulbs and clean socket contacts if your grounds are grungy. Clean up the grounds with a little sandpaper and some conductive copper antiseize paste.

Rick
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the flasher.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Possibly clean up your grounds. The ground side of these circuits is half of the electron flow path. It matters little if you have new bulbs and clean socket contacts if your grounds are grungy. Clean up the grounds with a little sandpaper and some conductive copper antiseize paste.

Rick
This is very unlikely because the hazards still work and they share a common ground with the turn signals. In general, when you have two circuits with common points, you want to find somewhere that the working circuit is different from the circuit that doesn't work. In this case, the bulbs, sockets, grounds and wiring from the steering column are all the same for the turn signals and the hazards so the most likely difference is the flasher because they each have their own.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I replaced my original flasher with a 'compatible' Novita LL552 flasher from AutoZone just a few days ago. It blinked a little faster for a few days, then my flashers completely stopped working on the dash and no clicking noise. I picked up a replacement Novita EL12, but it's not installed yet. Are there 'preferred' replacement flasher relays?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No, any 2-prong flasher will work. Have you checked all the usual things as the OP did? Turn on the hazards and walk around the car ensuring all bulbs (front and rear) flash as they should? The most common cause of the signals going on but not flashing is a problem with a bulb or socket. Without all of them working, there isn't enough current flow to make the flasher trip on and off. Using LED replacement bulbs will cause the same effect.

Using the electronic flasher EL12 may make the signals flash without actually solving the underlying problem. Electronic flashers don't depend on current load for timing so they will usually flash even when bulbs are burned out or sockets are corroded.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The hazard flasher and all the bulbs worked fine. Changed it to an EL12, works. Put the LL552 back in, doesn't work. The EL12 continues to work right now. Perhaps it was a bad LL552.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The Novita EL12 seems to have failed after 8 months. All four hazard lights still flash, turn signal lever clicks but the dash indicators do not light and no clicking noise from the . I guess I'll try the ACDelco 19209674, it's more expensive but I didn't have a problem with my original flasher for well over a decade.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Having an EL12 fail is very unusual. I have a friend with a third generation Camaro that has an EL12 that is more than 20 years old. You must be the unlucky one who got a bad one. I'd bet their failure rate is less than 1 in a 10,000. I would think you could just get another and not experience any problems.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The old EL12 came back to life after shaking it a bit. I have the ACDelco in there now, and it also works. I can't hear the clicking noise of either since the stroker went in and we took out the cats.

Something I swear has changed since I took out the original flasher though. Because the stick felt so fragile, when changing lanes I would usually partially move it without it clicking into place to use the blinkers, and the dash arrows would come on with very little movement of the stalk. Since then I have to completely click the stalk into position before the arrows flash, it doesn't matter which flash I've tried. I do have a new stalk but my understanding is that it's a hassle to swap.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Changing the combination stalk isn't too bad. You just need to disassemble half your steering column lol

It sounds like the signal switch is just a bit more worn and needs to be fully engaged to work now. It's not really a problem since that's the way it's supposed to work. Having the switch engage just from light pressure is definitely nice though. I was bummed when it stopped working on my other car.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

To be clear... the turn signal stalk (multifunction switch) itself is quite easy to change. The turn signal switch in the steering column (which is the source of your issue) is the part that takes some work to replace.