Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Key fob wont program

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Key fob wont program

I have a 99 trans am ws6. I gave my buddy one of my spare key fob that was already programmed to my car. We got it to program to his 02 formula without any issue. We'll after we got it working on his car we realized it would lock and unlock both cars simultaneously. So I put my car though the programing on just the one fob I was going to keep. Well the car cycles the lock during programing as if the remote has paired. But when I turn the key off and try to use the key fob, it doesn't work. Now the other one isn't working on my buddy's car either and we didn't do anything to his car??? Batteries are brand new and the cars responded during programming only and WILL NOT work the locks after that. Any help would be awesome!!
Old 08-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fob

You might get a better response on an F body forum.
this forum discusses LS engine tech
Old 08-30-2021, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

There's alot of info on F BODY, GTO, CORVETTE on here... I know someone can help. Ive gotten answers to F-Body specific questions on here and used dozens of write ups written specifically for my vehicle. I'm not new to this. Thanks for your input tho.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

This is an f-body forum and has been since it started. I've been here since a few months after it started. Most of the focus is on 4th gen f-body but there are sections for others as well.

Onto the topic. Unfortunately, I can't help on this, but there are some threads talking about the programming and issues people have had. Maybe searching might show something. Otherwise, maybe Whitebird00 will see this thread (or you can message him). He's been helpful in the past with diagnosing these issues.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
This is an f-body forum and has been since it started. I've been here since a few months after it started. Most of the focus is on 4th gen f-body but there are sections for others as well.

Onto the topic. Unfortunately, I can't help on this, but there are some threads talking about the programming and issues people have had. Maybe searching might show something. Otherwise, maybe Whitebird00 will see this thread (or you can message him). He's been helpful in the past with diagnosing these issues.
Thanks for backing me up on that👍

I've went through almost every thread about the key fobs. I messages whitebird00 earlier today just waiting on a reply. I'm baffled lol I have another remote coming tomorrow, I'll try that. Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2021, 10:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

On the topic of new remotes.... you can use a flip key too.
I have a thread on that:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-firebird.html
Old 08-30-2021, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I came across your thread earlier! I was actually contemplating doing that next when I'm bored ahah the remote has the proper FFIC to program to our cars correct?
Old 08-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

It programmed like the OEM fob. The thread has a link to instructions. No electronic modifications needed. The only mod was to mount the chip key in place of standard blank.

Annoyingly, the VATS system started getting finicky so I ended up doing the VATS bypass shortly afterward as well. That is unrelated to this fob though.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm glad this thread has additional information that wasn't in the PM you sent because my first two questions were going to be "have you checked the batteries?" and "why did you have to reprogram fobs that were working?"

I've never encountered this particular situation before so I can only make a few suggestions and hope one works. First, you have to understand that you're not actually programming the key fobs, you're programming the keyless entry system to recognize and respond to the fixed signal that each fob transmits. That's why both your friend's car and yours responded to the fob when you programmed his car - your car still recognized the fob even though another car was also using it.

The first thing I'd try is to program the new remote when you receive it. Doing so will not only match that remote to the keyless entry system but it will also delete the previous fobs from memory. That's why you have to program all of your fobs at the same time... any that aren't included at the time of programming will no longer work with the car. Once you've done that, confirm that the new fob works as it should. Then start over with programming two remotes together to your car - your choice which two... either sell the new fob to your friend or let him keep the one you already got working for him and program the new one along with the remaining old one.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Truthfully, it's hard to say exactly whats going on without seeing how many fobs are in the RCDLR now. You may need to get someone with a Tech2 or good scan tool to clear all existing fobs and program yours correctly. A dealer should only charge about $50-70 to do it. But I can't quote how much a dealer may charge, but I only charge .5 at most on an older car. Clear all remotes, program and I usually print out the options for the customer to highlight which options they want, i.e. lights, horn, etc. But that's me.
Most owners and techs don't even know there are options.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well it turned out that both remotes went bad at the EXACT same time. Got a new one in from Amazon today and it programed and works perfect. I still don't understand why the lock would cycle during programing if the remotes are bad. Thanks everyone for the help!
The following users liked this post:
fucter (08-31-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

There's a few different pn's on Amazon, which one worked for you?
Old 09-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Amazon Amazon

Works like a charm
The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Key fob wont program