Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fuel level sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 354 Likes on 267 Posts

Default fuel level sensor wiring

Long story short I have a aftermarket guage cluster and uses the factory sending unit signal car also has a stand alone harness. Had it wired in at one point directly at the plug on the sending unit. When I sound deadened the interior I disconnected it and cant find it without pulling the interior. (this was done many years prior) recently got the car running right but fuel gauge is obviously not working

My question is where does the black and purple wires for the level sensor go and are they accessible under the dash? Im assuming they connect to one of the 3 connecters that mated to the OE ecm harness? Car is an 01.

hopefully this is the right place, thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

okay kept digging found out the fuel level sensor lead (purple wire) goes to the C230 connector behind the passenger side kick panel. This conenctor usually goes back to the OE ECM harness, but since Im on a stand alone its no longer connected. however the purple lead for the from that connector is redirected to the aftermarket gauge I have to provide the resistance signal.

but since the signal isnt connected to anything OE anymore im guessing the ground isnt either. Now I didnt see a ground wire in the pinout of this connector. The second wire on the level sensor is a black wire, but not sure where it goes. I have the access hatch on the trunk deck, so I can see it and im guessing it goes to the bulk head on the driver side of the back seat wall and comes into the car from there but not sure where it goes after that or where is a good spot to make sure its still grounded.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like you're on the right track, Pretty sure both wires go into the bulkhead in the wheelwell. Not sure after that. Possibly your wires got disconnected at that bulkhead when you deadened it.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah circuit is good minus ground, so I made a little jumper but it still sat below E with the key on. So I'm gonna get more fuel today or tomorrow. I'm getting 66ohms of resistance across the sensor which is consistent with empty tank, but it should have around 10 gallons in it.... So my float maybe stuck?

Good thing for access hatch so I can pull the sender and have a look
Old 09-11-2021, 01:45 PM
Launching!

If you're sure the wiring is good and the ground is good the level arm is a good next step. Where are you measuring the resistance at?
Old 09-11-2021, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I've got access to the sending unit thought the top and I've removed some of.the wire shielding to probe the harness
Old 09-12-2021, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Figured it out I think....... Well I know why the fuel level sensor wasn't working. The sliding resistor board cracked in half.

But what I don't understand is it seems at some.point I cross wired the sending unit wires and the fuel pump wires
My pump was working but I do not understand how it was grounded.
The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Launching!

that'll do it
Old 09-12-2021, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup and apparently in the process solved a problem I didn't know I had with he fuel pump wiring. Ordered a new fuel level sensor and should be here midweek. This is the end of the broken from.setting so long/issues from.my swap!
The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (09-12-2021)

Quick Reply: fuel level sensor wiring