Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OFFICIAL: Aftermarket Alarm System/Vehicle Protection Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

02WS6Bird - Mobile concepts, I've been there a few times. Pretty cool guys .

Once I recive my Python 871xp from DEI and install it, I'll post up a review.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably a terrible outlook... but I've always said "If they want it bad enough to steal it, they deserve it."

That said, I've got the crappy stock alarm. =p
Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who pays attention to car alarms anymore?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO you guys should get a pizzo siren and a proximity sensor. I hate mine setup so if you are close enough to see in the car its goin off, and a pizzo will alarm everyone for blocks

and the guy with his car shutting off... did they mess with your vats at all?..that sounds like a related issue.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TtamNedlog
This is probably a terrible outlook... but I've always said "If they want it bad enough to steal it, they deserve it."

That said, I've got the crappy stock alarm. =p
i agree, but they don't deserve it. "if they want it bad enough then there gonna get it" i got a fuel pump kill switch so there gonna have to tow mine.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

As 2FAST4U said, that's the best place to put it. But no car is unstealable. Covering up the VIN is a good idea too, I've never heard of that before. But, is that illegal in any way?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

if you think about it you really cant cover up the vin, sure you can cover the tag behind the glass but what about it being etched into the glass?? you cant cover that up. my 97 has the vin in all the windows including the tops so if there half way smart they can still get your vin #
Old 05-26-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

and the guy with his car shutting off... did they mess with your vats at all?..that sounds like a related issue.
i dont think anyone messed with my vats (even though im not to sure what vats is)
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 z28
i dont think anyone messed with my vats (even though im not to sure what vats is)

Vats is your car's factory disable system. If the system doesnt detect the resistance from your key when you start the car, it will immediately die.

unless you have a 92 year, in which case just forget it
Old 05-26-2005, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

92's have a similar system.. and it may not even start.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

i really should change my username, i now have a 99 ws6. so, i had a key made because i thought my other key was bad, the problem persists (car starts then immediatly ***** of). if the key is working properly whats the other side of the spectrum?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Does the car shut off as if the key was turned off or does it sputter and die? Do the dash lights remain on when it dies? The VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) works by reading that little resistor in your key and matching it to the specified value in the BCM to decide whether or not it's the correct key. I'm not convinced it's VATS that's hanging you up here - if it were, I'd think that the car wouldn't start at all, and the 'security' light in the dash would light.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

i agree with you, i dont think its the vats either, depending on the luck of the draw the car may struggle to stay on then sputter and die, or it will just die. any suggestions?

Last edited by 92 z28; 05-27-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

I had a Pizo (spelling) alarm in my GTP before the F-bod. Just try to drive with that thing going off, i believe it was over 150 decibles so if you wanted it that bad you'll lose your hearing over it then.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I've got a 2002 T/A WS6. Anyone know of a dealer in the Maryland (rockville, frederick area) area that would be good for installing DEI (Clifford) alarm system? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Let me say My friend owns a repo lot. I have installed alarms for over 4 years now.

First ONLY BUY DEI products PLEASE!

The Viper 791xv with gps is what I have! And I will say my camaro SS is %99.9 unstealable. As noone can find and get to the alarm fwithout removing the whole dash cutting into the stock taped loom on the firewall and doing so rewiring! But there are 2 more starter kills my DFI Gen7+ computer so the car will not run! I allso have the car in a locked,armed,with cameras and motion lighted garage! I can also say there are 5 loaded guns before I get to my front door from my bed. A s well as a real person always awake in the house! If I am out driving and park it somewhere and it gets flat beded then I call no any phone and I can find out where,speed,time,ect... the car is and all this is with out a police report so I can come get it. ANd I also have a CCW and always carry a 13rd clip HK usp40 or my Glock but always more than one gun!

Second I cover my vin tag (this is by far the easyest and best way to protect your car! with the VIN I can have a key made and just drive away!

Finally let me say in the past I have be stolen from and I did you my gun and after the hospital the kid went to jail. So it works so far.

I would like anyone to tell me if I missed ANYTHING at all. I will go over alitle about wire location.

is this the same alarm that lets you type in your lic plate on a website that tells you were ur car is exactly???
Old 06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

i have the paging viper alarm, I got the proximity sensor which is very nice because I have it set so if someone parks next to me and opens their door the warn will chirp, or if someone walks by close it will chirp, and if I have my windows down or t tops off and you stick your head inside my car the alarm will go off. Then the pager goes off, but only if you are within range.
I also covered the VIN on my dash
My experience is that if someone wants it bad enough, they can get it. I would like to add a fuel pump cut off switch sometime, and maybe change the siren to something less common.

my proximity sensor warning is pretty effective I think, if my windows are down and someone walks by and looks inside, the warn will start chirping. when that happens the person will start looking around, wondering where you are, thinking you made that noise, while at the same time the pager goes off and if you are in a store you can come to a window or go outside and make eye constact with the person.
I also like the fact if I have to park near other cars and someone pulls up and gets close enough, when they open their door the warn will chirp, and hopefully remind them not to slam the door into my car.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

^ur sig pic goes perfect with this thread......bringing this thread back from the dead.....someone should do a write up on how to connect a kil switchh to your fuel pump
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the aftermarket alarm system's interface with the OEM system? Are you able to keep the keyless entry, trunk release? You need to carry two fobs? Whats a good unit out there now?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The factory alarm is disabled 100% of time since most remote start systems generally do have the keyless entry and trunk/hatch release features built in.

Even to this date 5 years later after this thread was started, DEI (viper, clifford, python) are top shelf systems. The cool new feature is iphone acting as your remote, I believe they have 2way paging now and the range is unlimited.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Aftermarket Alarm System/Vehicle Protection Thread