Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

OFFICIAL: Aftermarket Alarm System/Vehicle Protection Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL: Aftermarket Alarm System/Vehicle Protection Thread

How about a have at it? At one point these f-bodies were the number one stolen car in the state of Illinois...T-tops made these fascinating cars a key target. I know plenty of guys here use aftermarket alarm systems, or other forms of Vehicle protection such as GPS tracking, On*Star copies etc.

How about personal experience/comparisons of different systems. What do you recomend? What features are a must? What features are very convenient? How much has it set you back, where was it installed? any problems?

Close calls, times its come in handy? Any information possible, and please keep this thread clean. Post as few times as possible by providing all informational that you can obtain and distribute here in this thread

Thanks
Adam

(Mod's pleaseconsider this one as well, it'll limit this section of the forum to newer more diverse/variety of problems or ?'s and will be directed most likeyl toward the radio system or wiring parts of the car to make it go, rather than Alarm systems)
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

I'll kick it off-

On my 2002 WS6, I had purchased/installed a Viper 791XV from Mobile Concepts in Orland Park, IL. Great customer service, and lifetime warranty on this alarm system. This alarm system is top of the line, and has state of the art technology combined. Door sensors, hood sensor, trunk sensors, tilt sensors, shock sensors, and a D.E.I shock sensor (provides a microphone within the car to hear any sounds within the car...there is a tool used by car theifs that eliminates vibration and causes the car not to pick up the broken window) Along with this alarm system, there is a 2-way responder remote that pages you once your alarm goes off. The responder shows a picture of a car and lists all the protected/sensored areas of the vehicle and the exact reason the alarm was set off. I purchased a Remote start along with a trunk release. There is the ability to program automatic restarts. There is a fuel cut-off switch and ignition kill switch-the brake pedal (ignition kill) and the concealed fuel cut-off switch (allows you to start the car while the alarm is going off and disables the alarm which disables the fuel cut-off)

I feel that all of these components are necessary. I received a 15% discount on insurance for the price of $850 installed-tons of discounts-well worth over $1250-$1500 system. The only thing I did not receive is a motion sensor. I did not want to park at Jewel or something and the Alarm goes off because of some lady packing her car next to mine. There is a GPS tracking system that functions much like On*Star available from Viper Alarm systems, but thats the TOTAL package everything possible.

Compared to other alarm systems, I feel that this was a GREAT choice. Many alarm systems are made by Directed Electronics (www.directed.com) all of which have similar features. Every aspect of this system I have tested and let me tell you, it works.

I Highly Recommend this system to anyone who is afraid of something happening to their vehicle.

-Adam
PS any other ?'s feel free to ask either as a post or PM
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Wow great post!

I'll be interested in hearing what others have experienced. The T-Tops have me thinking of something with a Proximity sensor for those brief times i have to leave the car with the tops off to run into 7/11 or something.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 AM
11 Second Club

From my experience from installing alarms for 2yrs i would say there a good way to scare the rookies and get cheap insurance but if someone wanted your ride bad enough they will get it.. last summer i took a ride with a buddy hes a professional repo man and i watched him drive away with some many peoples cars while the alarm was going off it was sick and how easly we were able to shut them off after we left the site. last week at work i helped a co worker install a viper alarm don't know what brand, fancy blue paging remote and all but i tried my little test and sure nuff i was able to drive away with his car while the alarm was going off... if the criminals know what there doing then they will take your car no matter what my cusions car was stolen in Chicago by a flatbed tow truck while he slept stripped, parted and left in a parking lot empty.. also from installing alarms people put there kill switchs in the most obvious places i would offer to relocate but they declined so it would go on the driverside of the car right by there feet or knees. i have my factory one in and it will stay i don't think a aftermarket one could lower my rates by much.. also a gps only works for so long but throw the car into a metal box ( train carriers or Trailers) and they don't work anymore..

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 01-20-2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me say My friend owns a repo lot. I have installed alarms for over 4 years now.

First ONLY BUY DEI products PLEASE!

The Viper 791xv with gps is what I have! And I will say my camaro SS is %99.9 unstealable. As noone can find and get to the alarm fwithout removing the whole dash cutting into the stock taped loom on the firewall and doing so rewiring! But there are 2 more starter kills my DFI Gen7+ computer so the car will not run! I allso have the car in a locked,armed,with cameras and motion lighted garage! I can also say there are 5 loaded guns before I get to my front door from my bed. A s well as a real person always awake in the house! If I am out driving and park it somewhere and it gets flat beded then I call no any phone and I can find out where,speed,time,ect... the car is and all this is with out a police report so I can come get it. ANd I also have a CCW and always carry a 13rd clip HK usp40 or my Glock but always more than one gun!

Second I cover my vin tag (this is by far the easyest and best way to protect your car! with the VIN I can have a key made and just drive away!

Finally let me say in the past I have be stolen from and I did you my gun and after the hospital the kid went to jail. So it works so far.

I would like anyone to tell me if I missed ANYTHING at all. I will go over alitle about wire location.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

well wow you sound like the adverage car owner..
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

The biggest flaw in most alarms is that if the module is removed from its harness/smashed/crushed etc, the protection features do not work. Sounds obvious but that is their Achilles' heel.

On another car I have, I added a latching relay fired by the power lock triggers on the alarm. When armed, this relay cuts the fuel pump power off. If the alarm is removed, the relay stays off without power, the car will not run. It has to be fired on again by the unlock wire when the alarm is disarmed properly. I put this relay far away from the alarm itself and I ran wires from the alarm one way, changed their colours and ran back another way. That way even if you find one box or the other you can't tell what wires are related.

You can find and disable my alarm and the car still will not run. Besides, since its a home-made add-on, thieves won't have any experience with it.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The biggest problem is no matter what alarm a flat bed tow truck car steal it!

They just tow it and deal with it at home later! Yes GPS helps but only one company (DEI) has real time and logs it to your home computer! So you can see it's last location before they find/disarm it!

Now the other GPS biggest problem is a "steal tarp" will block the gps signal! But the problem is on a factory setup with Onstar, they know. Hints the factory option. As a after market has no visable way to know!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

i got a clifford two-way when i first got my car (2 years ago). it was $500 installed at best buy. only thing additional was hood and trunk sensors. no close calls yet but these guys are right; alarms only deter rookies.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Wait a second... I check the top stolen cars list for my area, NY and the Firebird/Camaro isn't even in the top 20. I am curious to know why all the concern here?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do what I do. Keep it in the garage. When ur out with it. Keep it in ur sight.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Yes, I work at a dealer. If they want it, they will get it. Slow them down, make them make a mistake or leave a trace. One mistake, put a slug in their ***. They know the risk, if they are slow or screw up -- they might die. I have no issues killing them. Pros know this, rookies should. The flat bed can burn up a rim (or three) just like anyone else. I know ALL the wreckers in my area, along with the cops. If someone tows me, I will have their ***. If I parked where I should not have, I'll be paying a bill to get my car back. If I did nothing wrong, I'll own a new Viper or Vette instead of the f-Bod that got jacked. Make it hard, make it slow, make it deadly, make it trackable. They will get it, make them pay a price they don't want to pay.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

TTT guys come on- i know theres more then 10 people with alarms on this site'

and yes we all kno any thief can get into a car if they want it bad enough- just some reviews guys for those looking for some rather then positng WHICH IS THE BEST or Viper vs. Hornet etc.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a Car Alarm I'd say DEI. They are handsdown the best I've ever worked with and they are always improving the product. I had Clifford but once I went DEI I never looked to deep into another brand. You start reading just a little way through and the DEI just looks better.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will state that all Car Alarms are just DETERINTS. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it.

2 Best feature I will say are:

Kill switch. Hidden in a good spot, They can't steal the car but can still yanks **** out of it

Air Horns on the Inside. I've heard rumors that some states won't let you do this. **** em. Ever tried to sit in a car with them Blarring? Hurts. And it will draw lots of attention.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just so you know DEI is clifford!

And whoever said by smashing it will let the car start. Wrong the starter wire is cut in the car and the green and purple wire goes into the alarm it is a N/C relay but if unpluged then it is a open circut. Will not start!

I will agree that anyone can get in the car, as F-bodies are easy. Flex the glass or smash the window out.

I can say the only way anyone can steal my car is at gunpoint with it already running! And they better not look away from me or I will kill him where they stand. However, I would rather give them the car than die.

Hell with the GPS on the Viper 791xv I could just let him drive away and call with my cell phone and turn the car off and triger the alarm. He couldn't get more than a mile.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Just so you know DEI is clifford!

And whoever said by smashing it will let the car start. Wrong the starter wire is cut in the car and the green and purple wire goes into the alarm it is a N/C relay but if unpluged then it is a open circut. Will not start!

I will agree that anyone can get in the car, as F-bodies are easy. Flex the glass or smash the window out.

I can say the only way anyone can steal my car is at gunpoint with it already running! And they better not look away from me or I will kill him where they stand. However, I would rather give them the car than die.

Hell with the GPS on the Viper 791xv I could just let him drive away and call with my cell phone and turn the car off and triger the alarm. He couldn't get more than a mile.

Wow I've been away for a while. When I was still installing Cliffords, they were an independent company.

I agree with the smashing part. The starter kill wired up the right way will still be open.

2FAST4U, What do you think of the Air Horn Idea? I've done it so I'm confident it works well. I didn't put a flasher in line so it was just constant.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would work good as it would make people look. I use to mini pizo aka(pain sirens) inside the carand the siren under the hood. I have tested the pizos and man they hurt like hell!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
I think it would work good as it would make people look. I use to mini pizo aka(pain sirens) inside the carand the siren under the hood. I have tested the pizos and man they hurt like hell!
Yea. I've used those too. My '83 Regal was easy to break into, so I put the Air horns behind the glovebox (on constant), and 2 pain Piezo in the Trunk. And Yea they do hurt.

Is MCM electronics still around? That's were I got those from.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

i have a viper 300+ alarm on my 99 ws6, i think this is causing my car not to stay on (the car shuts itself down immediatly after start up). how do i disengage the alarm fully?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Aftermarket Alarm System/Vehicle Protection Thread