Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radar interference with tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005 | 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Default Radar interference with tinting?

They say it might but on f-bodies does that tint strip at the top of the windshield effect the sensitivity of a detector? Especially the 8500 x50?
Old 01-22-2005 | 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

im going to say no. i have 5% tint all around and my radar detector works fine. or, so i think...
Old 01-24-2005 | 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

It depends. Metallic film tint will cause some loss of radar signal if you mount the detector behind it. Regular tint will not affect radar reception. ANY tint will negatively affect laser (LIDAR) detection by reducing the amount of light that reaches the detector.
Old 01-24-2005 | 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a tahoe with 5% all around and mine works fine too
Old 01-27-2005 | 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Tint should not affect your radar detector's ability to work well. I wouldn't mount it at the top of the front windshield anyways. I keep mine in the middle.
Old 01-27-2005 | 01:53 AM
Banned

Only if it has metal layer. Some tints are dyes which will appear more of a blue/gray and some have metallic inlays which will reduce the effectiveness, but I wouldn't think by any real margin.

I work with radar everyday as an avionics tech so I have a little inkling on what's going on.

Nate
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

im an electronic warfare tech, so i work with radar everyday as well. and reg tint will have no effect. but i do mount mine above the rearview mirror, for one reason its illegal in va to have them...and two it works best when its mounted in the highest location with a clear view out the front/rear windows.
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
im an electronic warfare tech, so i work with radar everyday as well. and reg tint will have no effect. but i do mount mine above the rearview mirror, for one reason its illegal in va to have them...and two it works best when its mounted in the highest location with a clear view out the front/rear windows.
That's true for radar but conflicts with the best location to mount for laser (LIDAR) detection. LIDAR is a very narrow beam that is usually aimed at the most reflective part of the front of the car - the headlights or the front license tag (if one is present). That makes the best location for laser as low on the windshield as possible without being blocked by wipers or other obstructions
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

but, if you think about it. most police depts use radar and not lidar. just because of the cost. i know where im from they dont use it, only radar. so for me, in my case, higher is better
Old 01-27-2005 | 07:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Yep, you're right. There's also the fact that, in most cases, if your laser detector goes off you should just pull over and wait for the ticket

But I just wanted to present all the information so others can make an informed choice.
Old 01-27-2005 | 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have had my dectector go off a # of times and it said laser, but i never got pulled over.

i also always have my on top of the rear view mirror, right behid the tint strip ( its illegal in NY too have radar too )

i guess it just picks it up when other cars are being tagged too. there is usually a meter that show how strong the signal is on my dectector as i am sure everyone has that.
Old 01-27-2005 | 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Radar Detectors are not illegal in NY. They will hassle you about it, but they aren't illegal. Radar Detectors are only illegal in two places Virginia and the District of Columbia, THAT IS IT!!!! They are legal everywhere else. Sometimes people get a little confused about their state laws regarding radar detectors because A) cops will tell them they are B) Cops will hassle owners C) People mistake radar jammers (which are illegal everywhere) with radar detectors D) Laser Shifters are Illegal in a few states.
Old 01-27-2005 | 09:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

If your laser detector went off a number of times and you were speeding but you (or the car in front of you) didn't get pulled over then you're not being tagged by laser. There are a number of other sources that can cause laser detectors to alarm. One of the worst is that neon-style third brake light on Envoys and some other GM SUVs. It will trigger most laser detectors because the light is at almost the same wavelength as LIDAR. The laser beam is only about six feet wide at its maximum effective distance so the LEO would have to be tracking you or somebody very close to you for your detector to pick it up. Also, your tint strip will cause reduced sensitivity to laser (it is light, after all) and may even cause some of your false alarms by changing the color (wavelength) of light that reaches the detector.
Old 01-27-2005 | 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

I also work with radar(patriot/hawk missles). Just to let some of you know. The laser gun does not have more than a 1000 ft of range, this is federal law. It also throws in reasonable doubt when it is raining outside, because the raindrops happen to be about the same width of the beam in some ranges. Just some needless information. Even with Ka band some officers won't use it based on the same principles.

I do believe the last couple post are correct regarding the metalic material in the tint.

To the other radar fella's where do ya'll work at? AirForce? Army? Navy? I was Air Force now I work for the Army as a civialian(much better).

Last edited by w02ramair; 01-27-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

All this i know already, basically what I want to know, is does Chevy use metallic tinting for that strip on the top of the windshield?
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

No, the factory tint is not metallic - it's not even a separate film, it's just tinted glass. However, don't put your detector high enough to be behind the blackout portion surrounding the glass. That will block some of the signal.

BTW, radar detectors are also illegal in all of Canada (at least all of eastern Canada, I'm not sure about B.C.).

Also, detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds and on all military bases (Federal law). Minnesota has a law that is not specifically aimed at detectors but makes it illegal to have things hanging on your windshield or rearview mirror (which could be interpreted to include windshield mounted radar detectors).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-01-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

im in the navy. onboard the USS Shreveport LPD-12. im an electronic warfare tech.
Old 02-02-2005 | 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the factory tint is not metallic - it's not even a separate film, it's just tinted glass. However, don't put your detector high enough to be behind the blackout portion surrounding the glass. That will block some of the signal.

BTW, radar detectors are also illegal in all of Canada (at least all of eastern Canada, I'm not sure about B.C.).

Also, detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds and on all military bases (Federal law). Minnesota has a law that is not specifically aimed at detectors but makes it illegal to have things hanging on your windshield or rearview mirror (which could be interpreted to include windshield mounted radar detectors).
someone knows their stuff. "don't put your detector high enough to be behind the blackout portion surrounding the glass" and where is that portion? so you can put it high enough to sit in the top portion of the tint on the windshield, or not? i mount mine right above the rear view mirror...
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

The blackout area around the windshield is just that - an area that is completely blacked out and can't be seen through. When you look at your windshield from outside, you'll see what I mean. There is an area around the entire edge of the windshield that has a black covering that I think is used to support the mounting surface. Mounting the detector above the rearview mirror is fine as long as it is pointed through the normal tinted portion of the glass (the part you can see through) and not that blacked out area that you can't see through.
Old 02-02-2005 | 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always mounted mine on the top of the dash. Done it in my old 89 Blazer, 95 Eclipse, 95 MX-6, 93 Formula and my present 00 hawk. I've had zero problems with it picking up anything. Plus it's not as obvious as well, not to mention I could easily run my power cord under the dash and to the rear of the fuse box (to keep it stock looking plus was soldering the power for my alarm at the same time).
Name:  IMGP0532.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  47.3 KB