Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Decided to go with Audiobahn for subs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to go with Audiobahn for subs

Well I just bought the Audiobahn AMD60Q's for my subs. I know, I know some people say they are crap. But how many actually have tried them, and how many have actually heard from a friend who heard from a friend.
Well I am going to do the swap, and possibly a write up on how well they work and how much work it took to get them in there. I will include pics also.
I have owned Audiobahn subs before and was very impressed with them. Impressed enough to sell my Orion HCCA's and start using them when they came out.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only experience Directly, is against them. During SPL comps they never came close to any trophy. Most of the time they blew out from over use. Can't put a whole lot threw them. Even the Factory designed ones for SPL didn't work well.

As far as style, they do look good if you reverse the speaker and show off the basket.

SQ, I have read that they are really good. I have listened to them in SQ cars and they sound slightly better than average.

There are better subs, but Do you like how they sound and their output? That is the only question you need to answer. It's always your choice.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some Subs I'm going to try out. firebirdude turned me on to them. I won't have one installed for about 2 months. So far they have a great track record, the Serious Pro's love them, and the price is Damn good.

http://www.adireaudio.com/

I'm going to tryout the Tempest in my friends truck. It will be ported and installed were the center consol goes.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

I am keeping the stock system and upgrading the speakers. I to used to run in the sound off's around Houston. Set state record in '98 with two IDQ DVC 12" woofers, hitting a 156db's. So SPL and SQ are no new world to me.
I have pulled the factory ones out and already see I am going to have to do some cutting to get the depth of the audiobahns to fit. Factory woofer is 2.5"'s and audiobahn is 3.5".

That woofer you are going to use..it says it is 8ohm. I guess you are planning on ditching everything stock. I plan on going the otherway and try to lay a path to those who don't want to put out alot of money on amps and hu and stuff.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
I am keeping the stock system and upgrading the speakers. I to used to run in the sound off's around Houston. Set state record in '98 with two IDQ DVC 12" woofers, hitting a 156db's. So SPL and SQ are no new world to me.
I have pulled the factory ones out and already see I am going to have to do some cutting to get the depth of the audiobahns to fit. Factory woofer is 2.5"'s and audiobahn is 3.5".

That woofer you are going to use..it says it is 8ohm. I guess you are planning on ditching everything stock. I plan on going the otherway and try to lay a path to those who don't want to put out alot of money on amps and hu and stuff.
Gotcha on that. I see what you are trying to do. Yea on my buds stereo I'm putting together, It's nothing stock. The hole interior is going to be gutted. We're going to reshape the dash and doors. he wants something show quality.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at the Koda 6. The other one you saw is for Home use. They have a tab for Mobile. Good stuff for the money. Same price as the adiobahns.

Fs 40 Hz BL 8.00 N/A
Qms 5.10 Mms 19.4 grams
Qes 0.29 Cms 0.8 mm/N
Qts 0.28 Le 0.73 mH
Vas 17.55 liters Rms 0.99 Ns/m
Re 3.7 Ohms EBP 138
Znom 4 Ohms Vd 0.14L
Sd 126 cm2 SPL 88 dB @ 1W, 1m
Xmax 5.6mm one way (Xmag 6.6mm) Pmax 150W (per IEC 268-5)
NOTE: Power rating is thermal only! It is NOT a power requirement; typically you get full output with significantly less power than the rating.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Doesn't look to bad. I love it when the tell you their test area was 1000 cu.ft. The size of 3 suburbans. Is that for one woofer? If so that is insane.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I had three Audiobahn 12 inch 1208Qs I believe was the number. These subs were the loudest subs I had heard, until I blew all three of them. I didnt even have them for a year. Now they are really expensive end talbes.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

I had 2 of the Pro Pressure 10" subs. Things would handle 1200 rms. Badass subs. I ran an Orion XTR 2400 amp on each one. Yes I said it...2400 watts to each one. I spent a month designing the 6th order bandpass box. You wanna talk about brain rattling? I never blew the woofers at all. My friend has them both now and still uses them.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well I got them in. Man it was a pain , I had to do some cutting with a grinder and a dremel. It took a few hours to do.

Just to let you know they are just in and hooked up. I need to pull them out and put the sound deading material behind them and make the enclosure.

So far bass is ok, not much more than stock. The hole at the bottom of the baffle where the wires are allowed to go behind the sub lets out alot of air.

I will try to get pics posted up tomorrow. They are still on my camera.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

definitely post some pics if you can.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Default Pics for you guys

Here are the pics so far...

Last edited by shouldaboughttheZ; 01-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Default cables

I don't know about the subs but I just recieved my 4 channel and and 2 channel rca's from them. Suposably these are the best cables they have. I have definitly seen better cables, seem kinda cheap but they will work.Considering these are their top of the line cables, I can't see how anything they make could be any better.