Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Annoying speaker noises.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Annoying speaker noises.

I've got two problems here... The first noise is when the radio is on but volume is turned down low, I get this whinny noise the gets louder when accelerating... I'm pretty sure it's engine noise, but how do I get rid of it? The second annoying as hell noise only occurs when I'm listening to a cd... My front right speaker will randomly put out a high pitched whinning niose & will go away if I blast the speakers... But if I'm just listening at a moderate volume it will whine again.. I've noticed that it does it when I hit bumps in the road, but it won't do it when I'm listening to the radio, just cd's.. Any help is appreciated.

TIA,
Mike.
Old 02-26-2005 | 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alternator Whine. Caused by Ground loops, Bad grounds, Power Filters Etc...

Is the System Stock?
Old 02-26-2005 | 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably a bad ground, or could even be the amp. i had a hell of a time locating my alternator whine, and then after a few months, i realized that the amplifier had bad isolation, and therefore upgrading the amp was the only fix. hopefully it won't be that tricky for you, but these things get really complicated when you buy cheap-ish audio equipment. other possibilities are that it could be your rca cable's being too close to your power wire. this is all assuming you have an aftermarket system.

another option is to buy a ground loop isolator at best buy for about $20. once again, this is only for an aftermarket system, and it plugs in between your rca's and your deck. it's definitely a cheap fix and probably will hurt the SQ some, so i would recommend you attempt to actually fix the problem first, not bandaid it with the isolator. the isolator, 99 times out of 100, will cure the whine though.

if you have whine with the stock system, a likely problem is the HU's ground. you can take the deck out, clip the ground wire within a few inches of the harness, splice a fatter wire on there, and run it (and thus bolt it) underneath the console at the tip. you do have to take the console out to do this, but it's the best ground for the deck. i would personally recommend doing this if you are running an aftermarket system anyway. for the stock system, though, the stock ground location is usually fine.

Last edited by tuffluck; 02-26-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2005 | 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have subs or an amp installed yet... The head unit is a Clarion & the frt door speakers are Kicker components & the pillars are Kicker 2 ways... I took out the rear hatch speakers as I will be adding a sub & amp shortly... As I write this the noise has not happened yet today, I hate electrical stuff!
Old 02-27-2005 | 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are saying that the Noise only occures when You hit a Bump? More than Likely a connection Problem. Ground, Power or a PCB board problem in the Radio.

Could be the Car itself. These are hard to diagnose with out being there to check it out. I just realized I read your post way to quick. You have a Wierd Squeeling sound comming from just 1 speaker. Is this also where the Alternator whine is comming from!!!???? If so, the HU (radio) would be the prime canidate.
Old 03-01-2005 | 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go back and solder all your connections. Sounds like a loose wire. If it still does it and youve checked and soldered all the wires... it could be a bum head unit
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Go back and solder all your connections. Sounds like a loose wire. If it still does it and youve checked and soldered all the wires... it could be a bum head unit

I forgot to mention that. Makesure the Speaker wire isn't just comming loose. Also look at the Timsel leads on the speaker itself for damage. (the wires that look like they are going into the cone)
Old 03-02-2005 | 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

i know what it is, its always the same thing with the fbodies. Its the head unit ground. I dont know where the best ground is, but u need to reground it, multiple grounds help too. trust me, try it out, ive had teh same problem for the past 6 months
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your help guys, when I get a chance I'll check for everything mentioned... The problems have yet to return, but I'm sure they will..

Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultraz
i know what it is, its always the same thing with the fbodies. Its the head unit ground. I dont know where the best ground is, but u need to reground it, multiple grounds help too. trust me, try it out, ive had teh same problem for the past 6 months

So very true. The ground in a Car is finicky at best.