Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Speaker Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Speaker Sizes

Okay, yes i have searched and read through some threads...

Now I have an '01 Camaro. The door and b-pillar speakers both, from the factory, are 5.25". I understand that 6.5 or 6.75 can go in the doors, with a custom bracket. No biggie....

What I dont get is, how do you figure the rears are 6.75 also? Are you guys making a bracket to drop in larger rears as well? I have just glanced so far, so I am not really sure on clearances. But to me, it looks like it may be a bit of work to fit 6.75's in the rear. The door, maybe. The rears????

Also, I have read in some places the rear speakers are dual voice coil subs, but other places I have read different. Either way, I believe they are to act as sub and mid bass, so a coaxial is a waste to put in back there.

For the fronts I am thinking of going with Infinity 6002si, because they have a good sensitivity of 92db, and they are no to expensive. Being the stockers are 2ohms, and aftermarkets will be 4ohms, I believe a good sens rating is required for decent volume.

Anyway, can anyone clarify some of the above info?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Also, I have read in some places the rear speakers are dual voice coil subs, but other places I have read different. Either way, I believe they are to act as sub and mid bass, so a coaxial is a waste to put in back there.
The Trans Am has the dual voice coil subs. The Camaro only has single voice coil subs, but both subs have the same ohm level.

What I dont get is, how do you figure the rears are 6.75 also? Are you guys making a bracket to drop in larger rears as well? I have just glanced so far, so I am not really sure on clearances. But to me, it looks like it may be a bit of work to fit 6.75's in the rear. The door, maybe. The rears????
The rear fill are only 4". The sail panels are the subs of the 6.5". You might have gotten confused on the location they were talking about.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
The Trans Am has the dual voice coil subs. The Camaro only has single voice coil subs, but both subs have the same ohm level.
Gotcha... Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
The rear fill are only 4". The sail panels are the subs of the 6.5". You might have gotten confused on the location they were talking about.
Actually I am aware of the two.. And realize the rear hatch area speakers are 4". But the side panel ones, the b-pillars that sit next to the rear passenger seats, is a 5.25" speaker. It looked liked one, so to be sure I measured, and sure enough it is in fact a 5.25, not 6.xx...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Actually I am aware of the two.. And realize the rear hatch area speakers are 4". But the side panel ones, the b-pillars that sit next to the rear passenger seats, is a 5.25" speaker. It looked liked one, so to be sure I measured, and sure enough it is in fact a 5.25, not 6.xx...
Does it look like it as been replaced? It should have the 6.5" sub there. How strange?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Nah, it is definitely OEM, and nothing looks modified at all.. I will try to take a pic with my phone and post it...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Here is the rear side panel (b-pillar) Speakers.

Here is the front door, with OEM bracket still in place.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Here is the rear side panel (b-pillar) Speakers.
I have never heard of a 5.25" sub in a camaro. When you get the sub out, measure the hole in the panel? See if you can fit a 6.5" sub in there.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

I measured the bolt pattern, it is consistent with 5.25 inch speakers...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

well you got 2 choices...

1...Cut the hole bigger to fit a 6.5" and put a sub in there.

2...Audiobahn makes a 5.25" woofer that would work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 03-02-2005, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help Stephen...
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

anytime