Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problems with install (Alpine 9833 on a 01 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with install (Alpine 9833 on a 01 Camaro)

Well I spent all afternoon putting connecting the new stereo to the car and figuring how how to mount it. I used a best kits wiring harness, antenna adapter, and dash kit. That kit was a bitch too. I had to saw off all kinds of tabs to get it to finally fit. It still doesn't look right, because the back of the radio is bumping into the little piece of material that sticks up in the back. I guess the stock radio isn't as deep. That's the least of my problems.

Biggest problem is that the CD Player doesn't work. I don't know what is going on. I insert a CD, and it doesn't play. The stereo doesn't detect it. I can't hear the player spin up. The unit beeps nine times, three groups of three really fast. The face doesn't close by itself. When I close it, it says 'no disc.' The Tuner function works just fine. This can't be a wiring problem right?

I got this from the Alpine site:

"Subject: Receiving audio from the radio but no audio when you insert a CD.

The BLUE and BLUE/WHITE wires may have been reversed at the time of installation. The BLUE antenna wire will shut down when you switch to CD. Use the BLUE/WHITE wire for your turn-on lead on the amplifiers."

My unit isn't shutting off though. Does anyone know what's going on?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

I think when the manual says "shut down" it is talking of amplifiers you may have connected. Do you have amplifiers hooked up? As the instructions say, the BLUE wire is for power antenna, and the BLUE/WHITE wire is for amplifier turn-on signal. If you have the BLUE wire wired to the remote turn-on of your amp(s), the amps will turn-on with the radio, but turn off when switched to CD. I would double-check those connections. Also, for future reference, BEST brand dash kits suck.METRA brand dash kits are way better. You will have to break off that plastic tab that was behind the stock radio. You won't need it, even if you re-install the stock unit. All that it is, is a support.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snootch
I think when the manual says "shut down" it is talking of amplifiers you may have connected. Do you have amplifiers hooked up? As the instructions say, the BLUE wire is for power antenna, and the BLUE/WHITE wire is for amplifier turn-on signal. If you have the BLUE wire wired to the remote turn-on of your amp(s), the amps will turn-on with the radio, but turn off when switched to CD. I would double-check those connections. Also, for future reference, BEST brand dash kits suck.METRA brand dash kits are way better. You will have to break off that plastic tab that was behind the stock radio. You won't need it, even if you re-install the stock unit. All that it is, is a support.
I don't have any amplifiers but the stock one hooked up. I'm pretty sure everything is wired fine. It's not that I'm not getting sound from the cd player, its that the cd player isn't detecting CDs. Its not playing anything. It just says "no disc" no matter what I put in.

Last edited by TheWilldog; 03-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

What alpine is talking about is your remote turn on wire(blue) will turn off once you switch to cd (usually used for power antennas). Its just saying use the blue/white for aftermarket amps. Since you dont have an amp that is no help....

The head unit beeping 9 times is an error message. Call alpine tech support and see what they say. Sounds like your going to have to send it to alpine for repair.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:07 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I just just put another head unit in my '01 Camaro as well. I don't know what you wound up doing with the plastic thingy behind the radio but I was able to take the metal bracket that attaches behind it and flex it over to the side without breaking anything, it snaps out of place. Next I took a hack saw blade and shortened the plastic thing so it provided a support for the radio.

My Sony head unit has problems fitting in as well. The plugs into the pre-outs jam up against the duct work behind the radio.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

did you get the big wiring harness with the amp adapter? because if you did, than take it out and get the basic one. Best Buy told me to get this special harness since i had a factory amp, but i had the same problem you desribed with it. I took it out and put in a basic adapter and it worked fine.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put in a CD, did you happen to notice if the antenna stayed down? Or if it was up, did it go down? And then on the tuner, did it stay up? or go up if it was down? I'd also be sure and do what burnout suggested for the harness.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Teching In

burnout04: I used the best kits harness that fit the stock harness exactly. I just wired it to the back of the apline unit, color to color. I had two wires left over, the remote wire and a pink and black one for "audio interrupt in." I probably shouldn't have even connected the power antenna wire, because camaros don't have power antennas. It's always up.

I also have a PAC SWI-x that I know is not wired correctly right now. I will have to get back at it when I have free time again. So that's two issues I know about, but they shouldn't lead to this type of problem I would think.