Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GTO ipod hook up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO ipod hook up

Can you hook up an I-Pod in a GTO using an Auxiliary Input Device (like the 9 pin hookup on other GMs)? I did this in my 02 ws6 through the CD changer port on the back of the head unit. It this possible on a GTO since it has the in-dash cd changer instead of the external one that the trans am had? I don't even know what kind of stereo is in the GTO, but I was curious about this since I am considering getting one.

I tried search extensively on all the forums and couldn't find any info on this. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the site.

The GTOs are still kind of new. I have yet to do an install on one or know someone who has. Ill keep an eye out for you and let you know what I find.

Speaking from experience, Ive never seen a factory HU with an Aux input. This would be the first

You might look into whats called an ipod connector.
http://www.mp3yourcar.com
Old 03-18-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

If you don't want to stay with the factory HU, Alpine makes a iPod connector that goes with their HU, although that means you have to buy the HU and the connector.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

A lot of head units come with a port to attach an external cd changer. There are a lot of options for auxiliary audio inputs connectors for these cd changer ports.

I am just wondering if there is such port for external input on the GTO's factory Blaupunkt stereo head unit since it's has an in-dash cd changer already there.

I may just have to take it out and see for myself, then I will let everyone know what I find (i.e., if there is an easy ipod direct connection available on the GTO's stock stereo system).
Old 03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andreww
I may just have to take it out and see for myself, then I will let everyone know what I find (i.e., if there is an easy ipod direct connection available on the GTO's stock stereo system).
Ask the dealer if you can do that, and if there is a port on the back, then tell him you will buy the car on the spot.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Since it's my vehicle, I don't have to ask anyone . '05 silver GTO LS2
Old 03-18-2005, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Ohhh... I was thinking you were looking at buying a GTO for some reason. Sounds like you have yourself a nice new car.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I tried asking the dealer, but they obviously don't know anything about anything. I even called technical support at blaupunkt (the stereo manufacturer) and they said I need to ask pontiac. It amazes me how someone could work at a Pontiac dealership and not know things like wheel size, etc. I know if I was a car salesman, it wouldn't be hard for me to know some stuff about the cars I was selling even if I didn't like cars that much. Especially the most expensive one the lot.

I don't expect the dealer to know about complicated stuff on the stereo, but they really don't know anything about just general vehicle specs. I asked about the skip shift feature and if it had it and no one at the dealership had any idea what I was talking about even after I explained it. Probably one of the many reasons why GM is teetering on bankruptcy at the moment.

Sorry, end of rant.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Teching In

No plug. Without replacing the head unit you have the use an inline Antenna adapter. There is a phone plug but its mono.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddawson
No plug. Without replacing the head unit you have the use an inline Antenna adapter. There is a phone plug but its mono.

As assumed in my frist post, but you never know untill you look.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Teching In

There is no aux-input on the stock blaupunkt unit in the GTO. I have confirmed this for sure. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I am going to just get a new head unit for the car.

Quick Reply: GTO ipod hook up