Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Another reason why you don't remote start a manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another reason why you don't remote start a manual tranny

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/biz...Psn_crash.html

And she says she doesn't know how to work it.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Always a bad idea. I made customers sign a waiver pointing out such cases.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Always a bad idea. I made customers sign a waiver pointing out such cases.
The women sounds batty. No way should someone install a remote start on such a persons car.

I had a remote start added to mine but it's got a stall feature I guess because it will stall if in gear and the emergency brake is set. I think it has to do with the force and time it takes for the starter to start the car. All I know is mine will only jump a few inches.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

The problem with us installing them is that we could not be there for the customer to make sure the e brake was up and the car was in gear. The waiver just took the legal obligations off of us. Of course we always try to talk them out of it before hand. We even had pictures of cars (that we got from retailersr magazines) that had been wrecked from remote start.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Launching!

This has happened to me before, but I didn't hit anything. I never leave my car in gear b/c of the remote start! I always leave it in neutral. One day I went to see David Coperfield and I had the car valey'ed (sp). The guy parked it right in front of the door and left it in 1st gear! I started the car and the car took off! It scared the **** of me! The car went about 10-20ft and I killed it with the remote! Luckily no car's were in front of me and I didn't hit anyone! It was a lesson learned
Old 03-25-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

my dad has a remote start alarm on his manual truck that recognizes if it is in gear or not and when he hits the button it will only try to start if it is in neutral. Eliminates the retards from starting up their car and having it take out anything in front or behind them when they arent in the car to control it.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i always refuse to do remote starts on manual trannys... way too much liabilty.... even with a waiver; but lol, that is a funny article
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stryker14
my dad has a remote start alarm on his manual truck that recognizes if it is in gear or not and when he hits the button it will only try to start if it is in neutral. Eliminates the retards from starting up their car and having it take out anything in front or behind them when they arent in the car to control it.

Not sure how that works. I guess you would need a switch/contacts for every gear + one for reverse. The more I think about that the more impratical it gets. Do you have any pics of the install?