Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

looking for a new HU

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for a new HU

wondering what your opinions are about what "the best" HU is, im looking into getting an alpine but i wanna look at all my options...right now i have a sony and i dont want to get another one from them...just to note; i have infinity components up front, stock in the rear, and a 10" type-r with a 1000w rockford amp...
Old 04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be like a pushy moderator or anything (j/k guys) use the search. I think three discussions on this exact question have arisen very recently.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

my next one will be a pioneer avic-n2. I just like the navi and performance display on it. Probably one of the best "do-all" receivers.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

i always search first, only post when i dont find anything
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

In my opinion the newer Alpines are slacking. I just bought an Alpine CDA-9825 and returned it. They don't have anything for adjustability anymore. If you want a real EQ and 3 preamp outputs they have to spend a ton on an Alpine. I am a huge fan of Pioneers. I have a DEH-6400 in my Mustang and it rocks. It has a 3 band EQ with adjustable Q at all Hz ranges. Plus from a vanity standpoint it looks great. The only reason I didn't go with one in my Firebird is I don't think the new Pioneers look right and the graphic display is weird. For my Firebird I just ordered a Kenwood Excelon X789. I played with it in the store and it was great. 64 color display, 3 sets of 5v outputs, and enough adjustability to keep you busy. I have never had a Kenwood before so I can't comment on the quality and ease of use yet. Retail on the piece is $350 but you can get it for $199 + shipping...

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3258
Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

I just bought an Alpine CDA-9847 and I love it! It has three preouts, ipod ready, remote ready (but no remote), and it has enough adjustments to keep me happy. I really love the ipod controls, but that is b/c i have an ipod. You have to buy the actual ipod control box seperate, they are about $100. but it lets you control the ipod through the HU, and it displays all the track info for each song on the HU. very cool.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88GTA
I just bought an Alpine CDA-9847 and I love it! It has three preouts, ipod ready, remote ready (but no remote), and it has enough adjustments to keep me happy. I really love the ipod controls, but that is b/c i have an ipod. You have to buy the actual ipod control box seperate, they are about $100. but it lets you control the ipod through the HU, and it displays all the track info for each song on the HU. very cool.
What adjustments does the 9847 have? I was looking into the 9847 to replace my 9825 and from what I could gather it only had bass and treble center frequency adjustments and bass and treble level. No preset EQ curves, no programable EQ curves from what I could find, no Q factor adjustments at any Hz, no high or low pass filter, and no source level adjustments. Other then the traditional "bass" and "treble" + and - I couldn't find any adjustment on that HU.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

it has bass and treble center frequency adjustment and bass Q control. I don't think it has any preset EQ things or whatnot (it may, I haven't really looked too hard). I use my amps for setting the high/low pass filters and my components came with their own crossovers. you can download the manual free from the alpine web site to find out more (but it is kinda sparse with the details).
Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, okay. I kinda like the look of the 9847 but I couldn't find much adjustment on it when I was playing with a wall display. I already ordered a Kenwood so it's too late now. I am going to buy an Alpine amp here soon though....their amps are great.