Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL Audio "Cleansweep"....Keep stock H/U, upgrade everything else

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default JL Audio "Cleansweep"....Keep stock H/U, upgrade everything else

JL Audio has a new product that is supposed to be available in May that will allow you to keep your stock head unit, but upgrade everything else.....and all the while, getting rid of the volume-dependent bass reduction and any other built-in equalization or signal processing, so that you can actually get a good clean signal to your amp(s). we'll see how well it does once it is actually available.

JL Audio Cleansweep

if this thing actually works, it would be a nice product to have for those who want to keep their stereo stuff "stealth", or don't want to hassle with finding a mounting kit for an aftermarket head unit that doesn't look like ****.

edit: it looks like it can also be used to connect alterative audio sources as well, like an mp3 player.... Check This PDF File
Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work on making a monsoon system perform with less distortion? Monsoon systems are known to blow lots of speakers because of the distortion.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
Would this work on making a monsoon system perform with less distortion? Monsoon systems are known to blow lots of speakers because of the distortion.

its designed to allow a stock head unit while upgrading speakers, amps,etc. Most head units (factory) have horrible sound proccessing and pretty much no EQ. This fixes that
Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My HU is off a firebird and has the EQ on the face of the deck. I know that camaro HUs don't have this. Would it be a waste of money to get one with my HU? I'm sure it could help but would it help enough to be worth the $$$?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:11 AM
9 Second Club

I like that idea... nothing better than that stock look
Old 04-24-2005, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
My HU is off a firebird and has the EQ on the face of the deck. I know that camaro HUs don't have this. Would it be a waste of money to get one with my HU? I'm sure it could help but would it help enough to be worth the $$$?
its like 110 band if i recall..your is nothing even close in comparison. The idea is so you can controll your stereo more, multiple amps (stock deck has no RCA pre outs). This is for someone who wants sq and an amplified system, with a stock look.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
its like 110 band if i recall..your is nothing even close in comparison. The idea is so you can controll your stereo more, multiple amps (stock deck has no RCA pre outs). This is for someone who wants sq and an amplified system, with a stock look.

Its 4 channels with 30 bands each.

This is actually really cool. Im supprized it took them this long to make.

What it does it takes a analog signal from your factory head unit and turns it into a 24bit digital signal. This is big news. You can think of it like a digital vs analog signal on your tv. Theres a big difference. I will be buying one of these.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1

this is not a unit that has 30 bands x 4 channels (120 bands total) that are user-adjustable like on a regular EQ. the 30 bands per channel are there for the correction of the factory-engineered, hard-coded equalization.

the way it works is that you put in the source cd that comes with the Cleansweep into the stock H/U, then press the "Calibrate" button on the Cleansweep unit. the Cleansweep then uses the 30 bands/channel of EQ in conjunction with that signal to automatically adjust the H/U's output signal back to a flat (or as close to flat as is possible) frequency response. after that, it doesn't change. so you will still be able to use the H/U's built-in EQ after that to your heart's content, although you would get a lot better results if you bought an aftermarket EQ with more bands of equalization that is connected *after* the Cleansweep.

just to make it clear to anyone who doesn't fully understand:

this unit does NOT give you 120 bands of user-adjustable equalization, the EQ is for the initial setup ONLY

Quick Reply: JL Audio "Cleansweep"....Keep stock H/U, upgrade everything else