Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alright.... who has fixed the flickering lights problem?!!? its driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alright.... who has fixed the flickering lights problem?!!? its driving me insane

as it says... I cant figure it out. I've checked all grounds. Had the battery and alt tested... everything checks out perfect! Its driving me crazy.

Anyone sucessfully fixed this?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

My buddies SS has done this before im not sure why though. Sometimes when I'm driving my lights with dim for a sec but they won't flicker. I wanna know why they do this too?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone said it was due to the AIR pump cycling (dunno if that's true or not) My lights flicker too, done it since new, guess I've gotten used to it
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

If they just dim for a second its probably the AIR system if you have that. When the pump kicks on it will quickly dim the lights.

For what its worth.

My car is a M6.

The AIR is completely deleted.

The EGR is completely deleted.

All grounds that I can find are fine.

Battery posts are cleaned and perfect.

All lights; fog lights, headlights, corners, guages, etc, FLICKER faintly. I'm sure its the entire electrical system.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Mine has done the same thing for as long as I can remember. Its a very faint and very constant flicker. Easiest to see at night with your headlights pointed at a wall, but also noticable on the interior map lights as well as the gauges and cd player backlighting. I'm used to it but it drives other people nuts, and I'd gladly go for a fix if there was one.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Mine has done the same thing for as long as I can remember. Its a very faint and very constant flicker. Easiest to see at night with your headlights pointed at a wall, but also noticable on the interior map lights as well as the gauges and cd player backlighting. I'm used to it but it drives other people nuts, and I'd gladly go for a fix if there was one.
Yup.. thats the exact description. I'm sure other drivers can see it as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:57 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

There was a thread about this a couple months ago, the person ended up resolving it by buying an alternator with higher power output than the stock ones - even if the stock alternator is working to spec, I guess sometimes it's just not good enough. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/264483-headlights-fog-lights-pulsing.html
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was just about to suggest this. An altenator will fix the flickering.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Isnt that a bandaide fix? Or somehow is the stock alt not putting out enough juice to power the guages, fog lights, and headlights??? To me putting in a larger amp is like throwing in a bigger fuse b/c the correct one keeps popping.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

No. An alternator upgrade is the Best thing. It's basically the Brains of the Charging system.

Quick Reply: Alright.... who has fixed the flickering lights problem?!!? its driving me insane