Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD Changer not working, Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question CD Changer not working, Error Message

Hello everyone.

Any F-body stereo wizards in here? I am getting an error message when trying to play CD's using my trunk mounted(factory) 12 Disc CD Changer. For a while it was not tied down and I believed it to be damaged, bought a used one from NorCalLS1 and I am still getting the same error message? Any ideas? Could I have pulled loose the wires connecting the Changer to the head unit(which works fine) when the Changer was not bolted down?

Last edited by Hoss Ghoul; 05-27-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Launching!

I'd start by doing a search for the specific error message you're getting. I'm not sure if having the unit bouncing around back there would have affected the HU, but I could be wrong - it happens.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you check the error message on the head unit?

My thinking was maybe I'd pulled a connection loose, just wondering if anyone had experienced this problem before?

EDIT: Also, the head unit seems to be reading that there is a disc in the changer, it goes to the slot that the disc is in(ex: Disc 12) but does not play anything....dirty connection?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Do a search for the error code that's popping up - I'm not sure where the thread is in here, but I'm certain that if you use the search function with the error code, you'll find something useful. Loose or pulled-out wires sound like it could definately be a possibility.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

There is no error code right..it just says "ERR"? Check your connections, if not it, check you cd and make sure it is facing the right way in the plastic trays (label side down or vise versa). If thats not it, are they burned CDs? Because I don't think the stock CD changer plays certain file formats like MP3s, etc. Good luck
Old 05-27-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it just say's ERR, and it knows a disc is in the tray(be it 4,8,9,etc) but it does not play. I have two changers and both get the same result. Using regular CD's not burned, though when working it played burned CD's. I'll give it another try after work tonight....keep the suggestions/help coming.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Gotcha - sorry.. I think you're on the right track with checking connections. It should be easy, because if that's the problem, I'd expect it to be in the back.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I found a list of error codes:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ger+error+code

The Error codes are in E## format. Since yours just says ERR, this may not be helpful, but I posted it here in case anyone would like to see it.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Launching!

VIP - that's the list I was thinking of.. I thought I remembered seeing numbered error codes, but you're right - he doesn't have a numbered error, so it's of no use.. to him at least. I'm kinda curious to see what the resolution is gonna be here, cuz these changers don't use the typical analog signal like most others do.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Problem solved. It seems that a fair amount of gunk(technical term) had found it's way into the wiring harness, foam debris and some kind of sticky residue, probably from being buried in the panel/under the carpet for so long. Once I got it cleaned out using a needle and wire brush everything worked fine. Probably the leads weren't getting proper contact with the CD Changer.

I now have two functioning CD changers, lol.