Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon audio input

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monsoon audio input

alright so...i've got a laptop i wanna hook up to my monsoon head unit, and i've done quite a bit of research but before i buy anything i wanna make sure its gonna work. I have an 01 SS with a tapedeck head unit. I'm guessing it is capable of running a CD changer and the original buyer just didn't opt for it because it does has the tape/aux button. My question is...will the back of the HU have the plug for the cd changer even if the changer was not opted for? Also, i've read that in order for the gm-aux9 (or something like that) to work, you need to have the cd changer hooked up also. Which i will not be able to do since I dont have one. I was hoping this thing would just plug right into the cd changer spot and bam, audio input. Any advice would help. Or if you know of a way for me to accomplish this...let me know. Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

?????
Old 06-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out my post in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=aux

I dont know if your 2001 tape deck will control a CD-Changer. My guess is yes.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

should already be pre-wired for cd changer...its probably taped up and tucked away in the driverside rear quarter panel around the hatch speakers.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You dont need the CD-Changer wiring or the CD-Changer itself to be able to use the GM9-AUX. If you want multiple AUX-IN and to retain the factory CD-Changer you need the X3-GM9 (that should be the right #, I have no experience with that one, since I use the GM9-AUX). You can get both at www.myradiostore.com, that is where I got my adapters.

---
<note>I updated my post with more correct info.</note>

Last edited by VIP1; 06-24-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
You dont need the CD-Changer wiring or the CD-Changer itself to be able to use the GM9-AUX. In fact, you cant have the factory CD-Changer hooked up with the GM9-AUX. If you want to retain the factory CD-Changer and have AUX-IN, you need the X3-GM9 (that should be the right #, I have no experience with that one, since I use the GM9-AUX). You can get both at www.myradiostore.com, that is where I got my adapters.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
You dont need the CD-Changer wiring or the CD-Changer itself to be able to use the GM9-AUX. In fact, you cant have the factory CD-Changer hooked up with the GM9-AUX. If you want to retain the factory CD-Changer and have AUX-IN, you need the X3-GM9 (that should be the right #, I have no experience with that one, since I use the GM9-AUX). You can get both at www.myradiostore.com, that is where I got my adapters.
Actually, that depends on the model year. The late 99 and 2000 models must disconnect the factory changer when using the GM9-AUX or else both the changer and the auxiliary device will play at the same time. 01 and 02 models can leave the changer connected because the head unit was updated to have the capability to control more than one device through the changer port. In other words, in 01 and 02 models you can connect the GM9-AUX to something like a satellite radio and leave the changer connected so that pressing the CD/AUX button (CD/Play on Firebirds) will successively switch between the changer and the satellite radio.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, that depends on the model year. The late 99 and 2000 models must disconnect the factory changer when using the GM9-AUX or else both the changer and the auxiliary device will play at the same time. 01 and 02 models can leave the changer connected because the head unit was updated to have the capability to control more than one device through the changer port. In other words, in 01 and 02 models you can connect the GM9-AUX to something like a satellite radio and leave the changer connected so that pressing the CD/AUX button (CD/Play on Firebirds) will successively switch between the changer and the satellite radio.
I dont have a cd changer installed so i guess i dont need to worry about it. i have an 01 SS with the Tape/aux button so i think the gm9-aux will work for me. All agree?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by royalcrown
I dont have a cd changer installed so i guess i dont need to worry about it. i have an 01 SS with the Tape/aux button so i think the gm9-aux will work for me. All agree?
Yes, it will work. You will find that there is a CD changer harness plugged into the port on the back of the head unit even though you don't have the changer - they all came pre-wired.

Once you have it connected, you will press Tape/AUX once for the cassette (if one is inserted), and a second time to switch to the auxiliary device connected to the GM9-AUX adapter.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, the part about the different capabilities in the different model years is true. I have a GM9-AUX in my car, but I dont remember if I was able to connect the CD-Changer wire into it to retain the factory CD-Changer. I'll have to pull the headunit to verify.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I just pulled my headunit and checked. The GM9-AUX does have a pass-through to allow the retention of the stock CD-Changer. Since I dont have the stock CD-Changer (or any CD-Changer for that matter), I cant say whether or not the headunit's AUX-switching capability will work with the GM9-AUX. It probably will.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

FYI. I just installed the GM9-AUX into my '00 SS Monsoon system a few weeks ago. Works like a charm. And the CD Changer harness does plug right back in (although I don't have a changer). Just make sure your iPod volume is nearly all the way up. Mine's probably at 90%-95%. Volume is the same w/ CD's or iPod that way. One other thing, I've got a first gen iPod (w/o dock connector) so the RCA hookup is my only option. If you have a newer iPod w/dock connector, there's another interface cable I found that not only charges your iPod but, you can control it w/ stereo controls. Here's the page at Crutchfield