Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

possessed car. Something Shorting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possessed car. Something Shorting?

Ok, this is weird. If my car goes above 2500 rpm's my glovebox light goes on. Also if I go above 2500 or so rpm's and let off, I can FAINTLY hear my horn chirp. When my transmission gets hot, and I'm driving around for a bit, my battery doesn't want to hold a charge. I can see my voltmeter dipping WAY into the red. I usually only have these problems when AC is on. If AC is off, everything is fine. I'm so lost. What can I look into, and is this something that will cost me a lot of money if I have a mechanic diagnose?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
Ok, this is weird. If my car goes above 2500 rpm's my glovebox light goes on. Also if I go above 2500 or so rpm's and let off, I can FAINTLY hear my horn chirp. When my transmission gets hot, and I'm driving around for a bit, my battery doesn't want to hold a charge. I can see my voltmeter dipping WAY into the red. I usually only have these problems when AC is on. If AC is off, everything is fine. I'm so lost. What can I look into, and is this something that will cost me a lot of money if I have a mechanic diagnose?
I have no idea, but I just wanted to comment and say that's pretty hilarious haha. Good luck though.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

jeez, have u replaced ur radio lately? sounds like the AC is probably goign out on you and grouding itself out............ Or u have something seriously wrong with your electrical system.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

stereo is aftermarket. Sounds like I need to pay someone to diagnose the issue.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd get the battery tested first. A bad battery can cause all sorts of odd symptoms and the fact that it doesn't want to hold a charge along with the low voltmeter reading could indicate a shorted cell.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Already swapped battery AND alternator. I also drove last night, turned AC off, and it seems like the glovebox light turning on is more load based than rpm based. It just doesn't make sense. This seems to have started after I swapped from an A4 to an M6. I did the swap myself, but the wiring is all done right.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry.

I have no idea.. That's wierd.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael Ozorowsky
Already swapped battery AND alternator. I also drove last night, turned AC off, and it seems like the glovebox light turning on is more load based than rpm based. It just doesn't make sense. This seems to have started after I swapped from an A4 to an M6. I did the swap myself, but the wiring is all done right.
Let's see if I got this straight: The glovebox light goes ON in high load conditions, but only when the AC is on? Have you noticed the headlights dimming at night?

The horn chirp is probably related to the alarm system. It's not aftermarket also, is it?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It would seem that the glovebox light problem is unrelated to the other electrical gremlins. The glovebox light is a very simple circuit with power coming from the BCM (this is so it can shut off power 10 minutes after the car is shut off to prevent accidental draining of the battery), going through the switch/lamp directly to ground. If the light is going on under any circumstances other than opening the glovebox door then the switch/lamp assembly must be loose, misadjusted, or faulty.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

ok, glovebox problem was a loose screw in glovebox. Yes, headlights dim at night. Still haven't figured out what's going on.