Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Meissen's Project CarPC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound is shitty because of the power inverter and the unshielded rca. When you invert a signal there is no more ground refference. Once you get your DC/DC atx supply you should be 100x better off.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually found out that the biggest problem with my sound is that the computer's sound setting was almost at mute, so I had to blast the sound to get it to come out, and hence it would REALLY blast the static. Once I turned the volume on the computer all the way up, then there was barely any static in the sound, I had it blasting at 20+ volume (10 is the level its at when you can hear it but there's no bass for reference, 25 is the highest I've ever pushed it) and it was sounding pretty dang good, just a little static. In any case, I have a bunch of media files now lol. Unfortunately these are HUGE.

These are some high res ones.
http://carpc.meissenation.com/10-22-...nale%20080.jpg
http://carpc.meissenation.com/10-22-...nale%20081.jpg
http://carpc.meissenation.com/10-22-...nale%20082.jpg
http://carpc.meissenation.com/10-22-...nale%20084.jpg

And here are some movies. The first two are of me turning with the GPS on, you can see it update as I turn. Works pretty good. The last movie, a whole 40mb, shows me using the interface going through some of the features.
http://meissenation.com/modules.php?...orderby=titleA
Old 10-22-2005, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What program are you running and what are the specs on the computer? Thank you!

Duff
Old 10-22-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The software is called Road Runner, that's the frontend that interfaces the mp3, gps, and all that together. The GPS software is called iGuidance. Specs of the comp are like 600mhz, 256mb, 20gb hdd. nothing too fancy
Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

I saw your website and I'm interested in something of this!!! I've got several computers around here, just not the touchscreen (yet!) and don't fully understand the Road Runner. . . .not the cable service, thats the program? It runs in XP? i saw you said something about a GPS mouse????? Do you run a mouse on the computer or touch screen or both? Does the mouse relay to the computer info from the GPS satelites (sp.) Thank you!

Duff
Old 10-23-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Basically, Road Runner is just software that runs in XP. It works as your "front end" (and I think can be set as a replacement shell for Windows). It's fully compatible with the touch screen. As for the GPS mouse, that's just the "antenna" of sorts for the GPS to receive the sat signals. I don't run a mouse to move the cursor, just the touch screen.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

That clears up alot for me now! Thank you. Didn't see much talking about prices on most of this. . . the GPS and screen are my price concerns. . . I can handle wiring and I've got a computer to spare. Thanks.

Duff
Old 10-23-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you said the sound was bad? How so ? Is it buzzing ? Do you have a ground loop isolator in there anywhere? If not you may want to pick one up from radio shack they help ALOT
Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

For prices, it really wasn't all that bad. My screen was about $280 shipped off ebay, could've gotten the 8" one for like 20 more but my dad didn't for whatever reason. The GPS mouse itself you can get off ebay for decently cheap, I think about $50 or so... then you just need to download BitLord and do a search for an iGuidance torrent.

Well at first the sound was horrid: I would have to turn my headunit up to ~25 just to hear the music, and it was a horrible sizzling noise that was a lot louder than the music. Yesterday when I was at a park at 9am saving our picnic area for the car show I was hosting, I took the carPC out and re-routed my GPS through the dash up to the dash pad, and then when I put it back in and turned it on and such, I went to click the GPS program in the tasktray, but it opened the volume control instead, and that's when I noticed my sound was almost at mute. I turned the volume all the way up, turned the music on, and tada music sounds great. There's still a sizzling noise in the background, but I think it's mostly because of the unshielded RCA plug, I was even thinking about just clipping the RCA jacks off all together and soldering the two wires together.

Here's some night pics in my car. The red glow all over is from my ambient red LED lighting (5 down the center of my headliner, one in each map light)

Some night shots:

Old 10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some pics (although dark) of the internet on the carPC working.

I thought I was connecting to my house's wireless network, but apparently I wasn't. When it scanned, it found two networks: linksys and bjamet or something, our network ssid is meissen, but since the one was linksys i knew it was unprotected, and sure enough it worked fine. lol
Old 10-23-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

gotta love ppl that don't encrypt their networks. now you need to add bluetooth to it, and get a bluetooth cell phone with interent capability adn you will have interent anywhere
Old 10-23-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually already have a cable for my cell phone and software to turn my cell into a modem. Is that how people do that? I was thinking I could just use the connection my cellphone gets for the internet and somehow directly apply it to the carPC instead of having to use it as a modem.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where can I see the software you're using website?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72 is the road runner software's forum.

iGuidance, dunno, google it.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Holy shyte, that looks great
I didn't think it would look good when I first heard you write about doing it, but I was sure wrong
Good job man
Old 10-23-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

i dont want to sound liek an ******* or anything but i dont like it .. at all. i think the idea is great, hell i want one myself, but i just think it looks like turd. Honestly i would take that bezel off and re-touch it. it seems like your fingerprints are embedded in it or something. but not only that, it just looks kind of cheap to me. i dunno. im just a big stickler for details and i wouldn't be able to function if my interior was as crazy as that.

Sorry if you hate me, just wanted to give my .02

Sorry.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol it's all good, you're entitled to your opinion too. The finger prints aren't embedded into it, it's the flash making it show up more. Of course the bezel could've been done better, but for doing it myself and for it being the first time I've ever tried to do anything like this, I feel it came out pretty decent. To each their own.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adam West would be proud.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
gotta love ppl that don't encrypt their networks. now you need to add bluetooth to it, and get a bluetooth cell phone with interent capability adn you will have interent anywhere
Not like it matters if its encrypted or not unless its WPA with RADIUS authentication all current popular wireless encryption standards are effectively useless. You are better off turning off your SSID broadcast and hoping noone can guess it.

But back on topic, looks great meissen. Nice work
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks damn good. I agree that some all black carpet will definitely clean up the place.
James

Quick Reply: Meissen's Project CarPC Thread