Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

cb radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radio

anybody running cb's in there fbodys?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

10-4
I dont use a cb but some of my friends do.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a cb, hoping the truckers would provide some radar trap info, but the amount of BS is just ridiculous, so I took it out
Old 01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

I use one in mine. A Cobra 75 WX-ST. But I didn't want an antenna on my car, so I got an antenna from a handheld CB and mounted it in the back window. No I don't get any range, but it's enough to talk to my friends with CB's in their trucks when we conoy somewhere. Pluse I have picked up the occasional bear report.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have a CB, a gun rack, spitoon, chaw holder, and of course mudlfaps
Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I also have the Cobra 75WXST as well as a permanent CB antenna (although you wouldn't know it unless you're very observant). Pictures and other information posted in earlier thread here.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

You can also get a cellphone style antenna that mounts on the back glass. It won't give you alot of range, but it's decent enough to usually let you know where old Smokey Bear is.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I also have the Cobra 75WXST as well as a permanent CB antenna (although you wouldn't know it unless you're very observant). Pictures and other information posted in earlier thread here.

Hey I like the setup.
Do you use that Venice antenna for AM/FM too? Is it hooked to some kind of a splitter with a filter or something, so you don't blow up your head unit when you transmit with the CB?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
Hey I like the setup.
Do you use that Venice antenna for AM/FM too? Is it hooked to some kind of a splitter with a filter or something, so you don't blow up your head unit when you transmit with the CB?
Yes, I have a CB/AM/FM splitter in the antenna lead and can use the CB without any interference to the FM reception. Don't get one of those AM/FM/CB (notice the order) splitters that Radio Shack and others sell. They are designed to let you use a normal AM/FM antenna for your CB as well. However, AM/FM antennas aren't designed for transmitting so you will get very poor performance on CB and can even blow the output side of the CB radio. The splitter I'm using came from Firestik and is designed to split off AM/FM reception from a CB antenna - the opposite of the cheaper splitters. On a good day I can transmit almost five miles. Even on an average day I usually get two miles or more. When I originally tried the other type of splitter I was lucky to get a half mile and sometimes only a couple of hundred yards.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by LS69TA
You can also get a cellphone style antenna that mounts on the back glass. It won't give you alot of range, but it's decent enough to usually let you know where old Smokey Bear is.
CB radios these days all put out the same amount of power - four watts (the legal limit). The difference is always going to be the quality of your antenna setup (which you can change) and your ground plane (which is inherent in the design of the vehicle). Those cellphone style through-the-glass antennas work but have really limited range as you said and they have no ground plane. My wife has one on her truck and can usually transmit about a mile with it. Reception isn't a problem - she can receive transmissions from much farther than she can transmit. When we are doing runs where distance is important we put a good quality center-load magnetic mount antenna on the roof and her transmission distance increases dramatically (sometimes five miles or more).