Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

disabling drl's and enabling fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:54 PM
math > me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default disabling drl's and enabling fog lights

Sorry for this kind of question and if it's in the wrong section but I've tried to look up the answer but can't find an answer. It's on my 98 Camaro. I know how to disable the drl's and I also know how to keep the fog lights on with bright lights. When I disable the drl's the fog lights turn off with the bright lights, when I fix it back to where the fog lights stay on with the bright lights the drl's come back on. What I have done: behind the cd player is a connector and I pulled the c2 plug and it disabled the drl's and automatic headlights for a few hours then they both came back on. I pulled the sensor in the dash for the automatic headlights and that fixed that. Then I followed this link http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=9 to keep the fog lights on with the bright lights but the drl's came back on too. I plugged the c2 connector behind the cd player back in and left it for a while. I tried to ground the c2 connector like stated in this link http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html . The drl's were disabled for the night, the next morning they came back on.
Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.
Basically: how do I keep the fog lights on with my bright lights and still keep the drl's disabled? When I do one it undoes the other. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You'll find instructions for enabling fog lights with high beams in this thread. When done this way there is no interaction with the DRLs.

I'll refrain from posting instructions on disabling DRLs as I don't believe you should be disabling safety items just because they don't fit your idea of "cool".
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
math > me

lol thanks for the reply...i know how to disable the drl's and wire the fog lights to stay on with the bright lights...my problem is when do both of the mods the one that was done first gets undone by some unknown reason....like i enable fog lights to stay on with the bright lights then disable the drl's and the drl's stay off but the fog lights wont stay on with the bright lights, so i find another method to keep the fog lights on with the brights and as soon as that works the drl's turn back on too. thank you again!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

As I mentioned, if you enable the fog lights using the method posted then you won't have to worry about it changing any other modifications. Many electrical mods are done the "quick and dirty" way (unplugging the DRL module for example) that often have side effects. The described method merely provides a permanent ground to the fog light relay in place of the headlight-controlled ground used from the factory. It's a little more work (not much) but there are no side effects.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:38 PM
math > me

Thanks again for the reply. I assure you that's the method I used in turning the fog lights on with the high beams. When I did that it turned the drl's back on. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:10 PM
math > me

And sorry to cause a problem, it's not because I think it's "cool", it's because I work late and the lights wake my family up when I'm coming home, that's why I got rid of the automatic headlights. I did start out like you said pulling the drl module but after 1 night the drl's came back on after I wired the fog lights up, so the drl module has since been hooked back up. I grounded the drl module like in other write ups and it did disable them for the night....why only for the night I honestly have no clue, but it's done it twice so far. When I turn the headlights off coming up my driveway the drl's are still on, do you know a way to maybe run them to a toggle switch or something? Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Launching!

The E brake has something to do with it.If you pull your E-brake up just a little,the drl's won't come on.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
math > me

The e brake only affects the automatic head lights. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the parking brake will disable the DRLs but only if you don't release it after starting the car. If you pull up the parking brake just far enough to make the brake light on the dash turn on and then start the car, the DRLs won't turn on. As soon as you release the parking brake the DRLs will come on and stay on until the next time you shut off the car (regardless of what you do with the parking brake). This is not a good way to do it because you will have no way of knowing if something ever went wrong with your service brakes because the warning light will be on all the time.

OK, I understand how headlights might be disturbing late at night but if the DRLs are waking people up then they need to close their curtains. The lights are just not that bright. If they sleep that lightly then the engine noise would wake them regardless of lights.

Anyway - you can't really put in a switch to control DRLs because the output from the DRL module handles both DRLs and front turn signals (a switch would disable your front turn signals as well). How about this...what if I could tell you how to make the front lights use the dim (parking light) filament instead of the bright (DRL) filament when the headlight switch is in the P position? That way your DRLs would work normally in daylight but you could dim them by turning on your parking lights when pulling in late at night. To do this you need to cut the yellow wire at the DRL module. Tape up the end that goes to the car (to prevent shorts) and tap the end that goes into the DRL module into the brown wire. Both of these wires are in the black 8-pin connector at the DRL module. That should solve the problem without giving up DRLs entirely (it also won't affect the fog light mod).
Old 08-27-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Enabling fog lights with high beams will NOT keep the DRL's OFF. I've just finished the DRL mod on my car, in addition with the fog lights ON/high beams ON mod. My DRL's are OFF when my fogs and/or headlights are OFF. I drive with my Fogs ON during the day and I want my DRL's off, like 666 speed.

Quick Reply: disabling drl's and enabling fog lights